PDA

View Full Version : Red X's

Rockchucker
08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
All I see is red x's since the new server was installed, anyone have any ideas?

45nut
08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
red "x's" where specifically? where the banners are supposed to be?

Rockchucker
08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
red "x's" where specifically? where the banners are supposed to be?

Yes, and the avatars are all red x's now. I first noticed this yesterday, and figured it was my anti virus program doing this. Still I'm not up on the security settings and don't know how to fix it if it's on my end.

moses
08-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Did you try refreshing the page?

Rockchucker
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
What I did was check for new windows updates and restarted my computer, now everything is back to normal. Whew! glad thats over with. Oh, also went into my internet options and added Cast Boolits to my trusted sites, never had to do that before.

mpmarty
08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Simpler solution, get rid of Microscoff Internet Exploder and use FireFox from Mozilla. It's free, immune to most virus attacks and works better also. www.mozilla.com

theperfessor
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
+1 for FireFox. No more Explorer/Navigator for me at home.

snaggdit
08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Simpler solution, get rid of Microscoff Internet Exploder and use FireFox from Mozilla. It's free, immune to most virus attacks and works better also. www.mozilla.com

As a former IT guy with computer security training, this is not completely true. I say so just to keep people on their toes when it comes to computer security. The whole story is folks that look for security holes in software spend great deals of time finding them then writing malicous code to exploit them. Putting in this time, they want to maximize their effectiveness. Therefore, they concentrate their efforts on software used by the greatest number of people (like internet explorer and microsoft office). I will agree that firefox is better written and has less exploited holes but that could be because there is less concentration on it. That said, it does function better. I recommend it as well. As with any software, just exercise good sense rather then depend on it to save you.

Ben
08-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Ditto ! ! +1 for FireFox.

Ben

lurch
08-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Yup - Firefox rocks...on a Linux box... [smilie=s:

Throckmorton
08-27-2009, 12:14 AM
So how exactly do you dump one sytem and replace it with the other?
maybe should have said browser,not system.
pm if you'd like,any body...anybody...Beuhler...Beuhler....

StarMetal
08-27-2009, 12:18 AM

You shouldn't dump Explorer. I believe other programs need it to run. All you do is download Firefox and install and just use. Don't open up Explorer anymore.

Joe

lurch
08-27-2009, 01:42 AM

And when you install it, I believe the installation will give you the option to make Firefox your default browser. Highly recommended to do this. That way, links in your mail client, pdf files, Word docs, etc. will open in Firefox, not Exploder.

While you're at it, Thunderbird is an excellent mail client. Lots better than "Lookout".