PDA

View Full Version : S&w 610

BLTsandwedge
08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm finding that my new 610 is being fussy about it's 10MM diet. I run plenty of .40 through it- the .40 load being #401638 cast in something resembling Lyman #2, water-dropped and sized .401. No issues at all. Without precise seating alignment, the 10MM case will bulge (any brand tried) to the point that it won't chamber. The same holds true for the #401638 sized .400 but not as bad. J-word projos don't present a problem. Thoughts?

BTW, my join date and posting information is accurate. Long story. I see most of the 'old' guys still here- 45Nut, Felix, Waksupi etc.....is Deppity Al still around?

fourarmed
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Two things come to mind: You may need to size smaller, and the seating stem profile may not be compatible with the nose profile of the boolit you are using. How are you flaring the case mouths? An M-die flare may do better than a standard conical flare.

MakeMineA10mm
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
If you're roll-crimping, you may be crimping too hard, but I don't recall ever seeing a roll-crimp die for 40/10mm...

Also, I'm wondering about the brass length vs. the depth you're running it into the dies... Sounds more like this is a die problem than a chamber problem, to me.

If the same bullet works fine when loaded in 40s but not in 10s, and the problem is developing before the round gets loaded in the pistol, I think it's a die adjustment or die manufacturing problem... If you'll look into those possibilities (along with what fourarmed mentioned above) and get back with us, we might have found a solution or narrowed down the problem better.

Can you upload a picture or two of the rounds and how they're mal-formed?

If you want, just box that bad revolver up and send it to me. I'll keep it a year or two until it's shooting right and then we'll make arrangements to get it back to ya... :mrgreen:

Dep. Al is still around, but I think his name changed awhile back. He's something like "Al 9.3x62" now, or something close to that.

sqlbullet
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Try seating and crimping in separate steps. This is a common issue for 10mm re-loaders at 10mmtalk.com. The jacketed bullets don't provide enough give for the case mouth to get a purchase, but the lead do.

You could also back off the amount of crimp, as that may be part is the issue too.

45nut
08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey,,welcome BACK! GOOD to see the handle again! I remember you well for your support on the old aimoo forum!
Allen is retired,, and 9.3x62Al now!

10mmShooter
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
BLT,

I load lots of 10 for my 610, 1006 and Delta. I use a Dillon 650 with Dillon 3 die set, meaning seating and crimping are seperate steps.

I can assit but I need more details on your reloading setup, dies?? press??

BLTsandwedge
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Geez, this is why Castboolits is THE best forum for shooting, period.

Fourarmed, the dies are Hornady- their custom line. I bought them one piece at a time during the worst of this ammo/primer/reloading equipment 'crisis.' MakeMineA10 & sqlbullet- good thoughts, I hadn't really considered the crimp. I'll try backing off. I did try bringing the 401638 to a maximum OAL and still had problems. The problem certainly is with my reloading technique; I'm afraid I won't be sending the 610 anywhere soon. But thanks for the offer MakeMine! On a side note, the 610 is the best NIB Smith I've purchased in the last 20 years- extraordinarily accurate and well manufactured.

45Nut- thanks very much for the welcome back. And especially for all that you've done to keep the family around and posting- for that you've our collective gratitude. I'll certainly support this site as well.

Thanks Gents.

fourarmed
08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
One other thing occurs to me, and it's not great news: If your FL sizer die is sizing the cases down too much, it can cause the boolit not to seat straight. If you have or can borrow another brand of 10mm die - or maybe even a .41 magnum die - try that and see what happens.

BLTsandwedge
08-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi 10mmshooter,

I'm currently on a single-stage press for the .40/10mm (serious butt pain for reloading pistol). As soon as I figure this out I'll order the appropriate conversion kit for the Dillon Square Deal (15 years old, well over 20,000 rounds- Dillon deserves a Malcom Baldridge).

Thanks again Fourarmed, I'll give that a try. I've needed a reason to buy a .41 and the sundry casting & reloading equipment- I think about $1,100 otta do it. My goodness- my wife is gonna be pissed at you! :)

Thanks kindly!

C1PNR
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
BLTsandwedge,
I see you've moved down the street and around the corner from your old digs in, Capitola was it? I disremember.

Anyway, nice to see you back! And, yeah, Al retired and is hiding behind his new pseudonym. Sheesh, how many people even know what a 9.3 x 62mm IS!:coffeecom

BLTsandwedge
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks C1PNR, 'preciate it!

I work up near Capitola, been in P.B. for the past 10 years now. 9.3x62? As in a century old round for a century old shooter?

'bout the .40/10MM deal- check this out. The Hornady 'New Dimension' 10MM seating die also doubles as their 38-.40 seating die. It roll-crimps. I've got a note into Hornady...but all you guys that were saying 'crimp,' you were right. The short term solution is to run the finished and very lightly roll-crimped round through the sizing die again (sans the decapper....).

Thanks fellas!

shotman
09-02-2009, 12:56 AM
You dont need the crimp in the 610 but you do have to seat that boolit flush. I use the Lee verison and it has to seat flush so drive band dont catch the off set in cylinderI size at 401 and dont have any buldged cases