PDA

View Full Version : A fix to hold Star handle up.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Searched "Star Sizer" for information because I'm still learning about em.
Read a few comments about the handle not staying up and the smashed finger storys from it falling down!
This is my $2 upgrade,,,
Two 6-32 screws, icemaker line for spacers and a spring from the hardware store.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2306.jpg

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
That is good. It is very similar to mine. I'll post a pic if I have one -- think I took a pic.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
here is a pic of my scheme.

Two stainless steel cotter pins and an experimentally selected spring. No new holes in the machine. I had to buy a minimum quantity of each so I was going to offer the kits in the swapping and selling section but I would violate the rules by doing so.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
here is a pic of my scheme.

Two stainless steel cotter pins and an experimentally selected spring. No new holes in the machine. I had to buy a minimum quantity of each so.....

I almost did the same thing but the spring didnt seem long enough, looks like you found the right spring. The spring I got was too long so I cut it to fit, but it worked out pretty good the handle will stay up or down.
Your fix is quicker and easyer and no drilling, good ideal :idea:

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I monkeyed with several spring combinations. Based on that I determined the spring parameters for a single spring and found "the one" at an on-line supplier.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I monkeyed with several spring combinations. Based on that I determined the spring parameters for a single spring and found "the one" at an on-line supplier.

Oh, it only took me about 10-15 min to install .

Thats not including the 2 1/2 hours of engineering, trip to the hardware store (I live out in the sticks) and then the tweeks and adjustments?
Still under 3 hours ! [smilie=1:

Bob.

runfiverun
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
how the heck do you keep your stars looking like that?
mine are all scuffed up and a bit greasy, one of them has mostly black tape for a handle.
i don't think you guy's even use them.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Mine has had much use in the 2 months I have had it. Prior to that I only had a Lyman. Still use the lyman for some boolits.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
how the heck do you keep your stars looking like that?
mine are all scuffed up and a bit greasy, one of them has mostly black tape for a handle.
i don't think you guy's even use them.

Mine is new just got it last week but it was sent the wrong dies [smilie=b:
Got a pile of boolets ready to size & lube as soon as the dies get here!

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Bob,

In case you were unaware -- lathesmith, a member of this forum, makes great dies for lower cost and faster delivery than Magma. I have gotten several from him and they are great. He also makes the punches and nuts with allen locks so you can lock the nut on the punch at the proper adjustment.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Bob,

In case you were unaware -- lathesmith, a member of this forum, makes great dies for lower cost and faster delivery than Magma. I have gotten several from him and they are great. He also makes the punches and nuts with allen locks so you can lock the nut on the punch at the proper adjustment.

Thats what I should have done, if I knew then what I know now :roll:
I will be needing other dies as I get moulds and I will be ordering from him for sure.

Bob.

olovo
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Great idea, ph4570!
I took two paper clips and a spring that just happened to be the right length and it took me 10 minutes to make it.

:drinks:

ph4570
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Great idea, ph4570!
I took two paper clips and a spring that just happened to be the right length and it took me 10 minutes to make it.

:drinks:

Cool. Make sure the paper clips are secure. You would not want them flying out under spring propulsion.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Bob,

Looks like your post has become a classic -- neato-burrito.

.30/30 Guy
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Some rubber bands also work. May not look as nice.

lordgroom
09-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Where did you all find the springs? What length did you use?

Superfly
09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I just bend my handle It was free

And i works

Springfield
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Runfiverun: go to the hardware store and get a file handle for the Star, that's all they are anyway.

mtgrs737
09-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I used a large thick rubber band to return my handle to the top of the stroke. KISS method.

hammerhead357
09-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Mtgrs737 is that picture of a recent production lubesizer? My Stars are a darker blue and that looks like Magma blue. I haven't seen one of the newer production models and am just curious.
I noticed that the pictures that Bob. and ph4570 posted are not painted at all. So can each of you shed some light on the manufacture of you lubesizer?
Thanks to everyone...WEs

Red Butler
09-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I did the same as ph4570 and Bob's modification above and it works just fine in holding up the handle. My c-pins just slip into the roll pin holes. The pins are not s/s but seem to hold the spring tension just fine.

Hammerhead357: I took delivery of my new one from Magma about a month ago and it is silver colored just as in the pictures above.

ph4570
09-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Mtgrs737 is that picture of a recent production lubesizer? My Stars are a darker blue and that looks like Magma blue. I haven't seen one of the newer production models and am just curious.
I noticed that the pictures that Bob. and ph4570 posted are not painted at all. So can each of you shed some light on the manufacture of you lubesizer?
Thanks to everyone...WEs

It seems that Magma no longer paints the units. I have no idea when they stopped doing so. For that matter I do not know that Magma ever painted them but I am by no means a Star/Magma historian.

mtgrs737
09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks to everyone...WEs

It must be the flash on my camera that is making the color of my older Star look like a royal blue and not the Navy blue that it really is. I have two Stars from about the same time period and both I have repainted with Krylon Navy blue. Navy blue is so very close to the original Star blue that for the most part if I didn't tell you it was not original then you would not know it. The Star blue is one shade darker than the Krylon Navy blue. Stars are very easy to re-paint, just disassemble as much as practical and tape off the rest. I used paint remover to get the old chipped up paint off, it was very easy and made the new paint look factory new.

Bob.
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone...WEs

My Magma Star is new it came without paint,,

Bob

Ian Robertson
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Superfly, same idea as mine, bend the handle so it go back past 90 and it can't fall.

temac
10-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Much like the rubber band method I used a Dillon powderbar return spring works fine and free

Pee Wee
10-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Temac, thanks for the dillon spring idea, just happin to have a few of those and it even holds up the handle with the bullet feeder on it.
Pee Wee

gunoil
11-30-2015, 11:13 PM
I bought a star spring kit on ebay one time to hold handle up.

maxreloader
11-30-2015, 11:49 PM
Does anybody have the old, old Star sizers with the round ball rock-maple handles? These are my favorites! I have two but the one I need escapes me... it's complicated.

Quickdraw4u
12-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Check out eBay 'Star Lube Sizer Handle Return Kit' $3.49 Beats experimenting and hunting the parts. I bought one. Easy to install. Works like a charm.