PDA

View Full Version : Son in law's single shot pistol

Throckmorton
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
My son in law has a pistol handed down from his grandad,purchased about 30 years ago.
It's a single shot 'pirate' pistol,percussion.
The booklet says T/C,but the gun is not so marked....just Jukar Spain .45 caliber.
1. Did T/C maybe sell Jukars in their t/c boxes 30 years ago? I'm doubtful.
2. the bore had some bp remnatnts in it,but cleaned up amazingly well,very very good looking bore,got lucky there?
3. looks like the powder charge using bp or equivelants will be in the 30 to 35 grain range?
..I have them written down exactly for each type.
4.The gun shown in the pamphlet is the Patriot with double triggers,this is not that gun,so thinking the booklet may have just found it's way in there from the previous owner as the brass flask throws a 60 grain charge.He may have had more than one bp weapon is my thinking.

Did Jukar make decent bp weapons? this one looks pretty good as far as fit and finish,much better than my off brand spanish made rifle.

I know,,,no pictures :( I'll work on that when the camera comes back home from the shop I work at.

jim4065
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't know - but sometimes the original manuals are worth quite a bit. You might want to search GunBroker for a Patriot manual to see what they're selling for. Incidentally, I doubt that TC sold Jukar pistols, but have been wrong a bunch of times. At any rate - if it's not stamped "Thompson Center" I would presume they had nothing to do with it.

northmn
08-25-2009, 06:52 PM
TC did not sell Jukar pistols. The only pistol TC handled was the Patriot to my knowledge. Jukars did not have a real good reputation for quality, but the pistol would be safe to shoot and Ok for plinking. The locks were pretty basic and a light trigger pull cannot be had without the lock going into halfcock. If the bore looks smooth then it will likely load and shoot fairly well. In a pistol 30-40 grains will likely be about max. It may use a 440 ball or slightly less.

Northmn

Geraldo
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
TC has only made two BP pistols-the Patriot in .36 and .45, and the Scout inline in .50 and .54.

pietro
08-25-2009, 07:02 PM
[TC did not sell Jukar pistols.]

"J-U-K-A-R" is incorrect.

Spellcheck, and experience, indicate the moniker should be "J-U-N-K-E-R" . :kidding: :bigsmyl2:

mooman76
08-25-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a Jukar in a 45 Kentucky rifle. Very similar to the earlier CVA and Traditions guns. I believe the both CVA and Traditions at one time got their guns imported from them. Like Northmn said they weren't the best quality but are safe to shoot. My rifle actually shoots pretty darn good and I have had no problems with it. My rule of thumb for starting out with new BP loads is to equal grains per caliber and half for pistols. So 45 grains for rifles and I'd cut the difference and start with 20 gr. for a 45 pistol. It should shoot plenty good with 20. This is a starting load and you can go higher if you want but probably won't need to. I also picked up a pistol for $15 and it might be a Jukar too. I picked it up as a flinter and the parts were worth that if nothing else. It was still in the white and in bad shape but cleaned up so nice I almost hated to shoot it.