PDA

View Full Version : A fix to hold Star handle up

Bob.
08-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Searched "Star Sizer" for information because I'm still learning about em.
Read a few comments about the handle not staying up and the smashed finger storys from it falling down!
This is my $2 upgrade,,,
Two 6-32 screws, icemaker line for spacers and a spring from the hardware store.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2306.jpg

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
That is good. It is very similar to mine. I'll post a pic if I have one -- think I took a pic.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
here is a pic of my scheme.

Two stainless steel cotter pins and an experimentally selected spring. No new holes in the machine. I had to buy a minimum quantity of each so I was going to offer the kits in the swapping and selling section but I would violate the rules by doing so.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
here is a pic of my scheme.

Two stainless steel cotter pins and an experimentally selected spring. No new holes in the machine. I had to buy a minimum quantity of each so.....

I almost did the same thing but the spring didnt seem long enough, looks like you found the right spring. The spring I got was too long so I cut it to fit, but it worked out pretty good the handle will stay up or down.
Your fix is quicker and easyer and no drilling, good ideal :idea:

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I monkeyed with several spring combinations. Based on that I determined the spring parameters for a single spring and found "the one" at an on-line supplier.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I monkeyed with several spring combinations. Based on that I determined the spring parameters for a single spring and found "the one" at an on-line supplier.

Oh, it only took me about 10-15 min to install .

Thats not including the 2 1/2 hours of engineering, trip to the hardware store (I live out in the sticks) and then the tweeks and adjustments?
Still under 3 hours ! [smilie=1:

Bob.

runfiverun
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
how the heck do you keep your stars looking like that?
mine are all scuffed up and a bit greasy, one of them has mostly black tape for a handle.
i don't think you guy's even use them.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Mine has had much use in the 2 months I have had it. Prior to that I only had a Lyman. Still use the lyman for some boolits.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
how the heck do you keep your stars looking like that?
mine are all scuffed up and a bit greasy, one of them has mostly black tape for a handle.
i don't think you guy's even use them.

Mine is new just got it last week but it was sent the wrong dies [smilie=b:
Got a pile of boolets ready to size & lube as soon as the dies get here!

Bob.

ph4570
08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Bob,

In case you were unaware -- lathesmith, a member of this forum, makes great dies for lower cost and faster delivery than Magma. I have gotten several from him and they are great. He also makes the punches and nuts with allen locks so you can lock the nut on the punch at the proper adjustment.

Bob.
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Bob,

In case you were unaware -- lathesmith, a member of this forum, makes great dies for lower cost and faster delivery than Magma. I have gotten several from him and they are great. He also makes the punches and nuts with allen locks so you can lock the nut on the punch at the proper adjustment.

Thats what I should have done, if I knew then what I know now :roll:
I will be needing other dies as I get moulds and I will be ordering from him for sure.

Bob.

olovo
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Great idea, ph4570!
I took two paper clips and a spring that just happened to be the right length and it took me 10 minutes to make it.

:drinks:

ph4570
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Great idea, ph4570!
I took two paper clips and a spring that just happened to be the right length and it took me 10 minutes to make it.

:drinks:

Cool. Make sure the paper clips are secure. You would not want them flying out under spring propulsion.

Echo
08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I just use a long twistie, and don't take my hand off the handle when sizing. The twistie goes between handle and compression plunger, to keep the handle up when in storage.