PDA

View Full Version : Six banger and Alox/Moly question

ArmyBrat
08-24-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm back! I've been out for just about ever, mostly due to time constraints. I'd like to go ahead and pour me some out of my six bangers, but I do have a question here.

I had poured some from my 228grRN Lee six banger, which I had lubed with moly spray, then I got creative and aloxed them too. When I went to seat them, they pushed straight into the case! I probably need to get the moly off, and they're about 150 of them. What should I do? Was it the moly/alox combination?

lylejb
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Several possibilities, and the lube being too slick is not one of them.

If the boolits are being pushed into the case, either the die setting is wrong (pushing too far) or your case neck tension is too low (or none)

Did you measure the boolits diameter? The case neck I.D. after sizing?

I think I would clean 1 or 2 boolits and mic them, as well as the case necks. Your answer is probably in one of these measurements.

ArmyBrat
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that I'm either setting the OAL too short for the boolit type, or I flared the case too much? I haven't measured the case neck after sizing.

lylejb
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
OK, lets back up a bit. What caliber are you loading?

ArmyBrat
08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
ok, lets back up a bit. What caliber are you loading?

.45 acp.

lylejb
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
1st, what diameter are the boolits? please measure them. it's possible to get a booilt that's not at the right diameter.

2nd, probably are flaring too much. I only flare a tiny bit, can barely see any flare. It's just enough to get the boolit to set in the case, maybe 1/16 inch. the seating die should do the rest.

3rd, possible that the adjustment on the seating die is turned down too far.

ArmyBrat
08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
1st, what diameter are the boolits? please measure them. it's possible to get a booilt that's not at the right diameter.

2nd, probably are flaring too much. I only flare a tiny bit, can barely see any flare. It's just enough to get the boolit to set in the case, maybe 1/16 inch. the seating die should do the rest.

3rd, possible that the adjustment on the seating die is turned down too far.

Ok, I'll measure them as soon as I get home. About the flaring, I don't know, I guess that's directly relevant to the diameter of the boolit itself. The seating die? I seat long, so it must be, in the end, the flaring relevant to the boolit itself. I haven't cast/loaded for the .45 for long, so I'm relatively new to working this caliber.

shotman
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
are you useing the [flair/expander] that is like lee. If so you have it set too deep.

XWrench3
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
yep, i would look elsewhere, i do not think the bullet lube is the problem. i actually mix powdered moly into lee liquid alox. is there a possibility that you did not size the cases, just expanded them, and tried to seat a new boolit? i did that once. had 200 cases ready to load, 50 of them sitting there with powder in them, before i discoverd that i had used a universal decapper a couple of weeks earlier. they were on the bench, and i thought i had sized them because they had been tumbled and deprimed. i grabbed them up, primed them, and, DOPE! anyway, i just dumped the powder out, removed the decapping pin from my sizer die, and fixed the problem.

Echo
08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
What brass are you using? I can't use Rem brass, as it is too thin and doesn't grip well enough.

ArmyBrat
08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm using mixed brass. Also, I think that my big mistake was that I was using commercially produced lead bullets, and didn't reset the flare die for my sized boolits. All the cases were sized. Since I experiment so much with different components, this is one evil I must deal with, the constantant resetting of my dies.

lylejb
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Also note, Rem. brass is thinner than winchester. I have to set my crimp die differently when switching between the two.

might try separating a box or two of matching brass, and then adjusting your flare depth, seating depth, and crimp for them. see if that works better.