PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Mould for 12 Ga Slugs & 12 Ga 00 Buckshot?

inuhbad
08-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I've seen numerous companies selling moulds to cast your own 00 Buckshot, and 12 Ga Slugs, but for Tactical Shotgun type shooting / training / competition, which is the best moulds for those two types of ammo?

They'll likely be used in a smoothbore Rem 870 & Mossy 590. So which is the most accurate Slug for shooting out to say... 75 to 100 yards? I'll also be using this for deer slaying in the fall.

What's the best 00 Buckshot mould? Thus far I've only SEEN a mould that casts ONE PELLET AT A TIME - do they make a mould that casts - say around 9 pellets for each pour? What's a good mould for this?

Thanks for any advice & information - links are also greatly appreciated! 8-)

Nate1778
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Keep your eyes open for this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320411913496&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AMOTORS%3A1123

I bought the "Sharpshooter" 00 mold and it makes 20 very nice pellets at a time. It took a while to get the mold broke in, and you have to get them pretty darn warm to get good fill out in all the cavities, but once it starts to throw, you can get a lot of Buck shot quickly. I think the guy makes them from #0 all the way to #4. You need to save him in your search and get email updates on when the guy post a sale cause they don't last long when he does put them up. He typically list 2-3 per week.

Hiaboo
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep.. I have that mold as well -- My father heavily modified it though. I'll have to get pictures up. He modified the handles, cut off the things there and put in steel rods and put hose over it because how it's set up now, its a royal pain to open/handle and the handle GETS HOT and the wood gets 'round to smoking.. *shrugs

It's a very nice mold otherwise. I use large wire clips to cut off the sprues.

Here's an active auction right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/00-Buckshot-Lead-Mold-for-Shotgun-Reloading-Pellet-Shot_W0QQitemZ320415494202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4a9a40703a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

As for slugs.. The uh Lyman "wasp waisted" is the best in that style, then there's the Lee Drive Key.

inuhbad
08-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the great info!!!

I don't reload for shotguns (yet), but I do already own an MEC 600 Jr shotshell loading press.

I've not loaded shotshells since I was 12 years old in DNR Hunter's Training! So this should be entertaining to get a good reload made... Most shotshell reloading information out there pertains to loading bird loads like #7.5 or #8 shot - so I don't know what kind of Wad or Powder charge I should use... This will affect which powder charge bar I purchase, and which wadding to buy.

Anybody else here have experience with Reloading 12 Ga shotshells with Slugs or 00 Buckshot?

38-55
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
inuhbad,
Take a good look at lyman's sabot 12 gauge slug.. best slug I ever used.. some buddies and me killed 28 deer in one season with them.. They work well in smooth bores.. much better than the foster style things..
Hope that helps
Calvin
PS they use the standard star crimp so you can load them on the jr with out mods to the press

snuffy
08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Lee drive key slug will give you enough accuracy for steel in 3 gun, AND a lot less recoil. Especially if you get the 7/8 ounce version. Here's some loads I made up;

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/terrysoops/websize/P1010021.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/terrysoops/websize/P1010020.JPG

These shot just "okay" in a 870 smooth bore. The loads come with the mold, or you can get a data sheet from the lee website.

I also have the Lyman sabot slug, But it's a LOT heavier, better than 1- 1/8 ounce!

inuhbad
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great information!!! :)

The pics are great too!

7br
08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Nother vote for the Lee 7/8 key slug.

inuhbad
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Awesome Information!!!

I also got an Email reply from MEC with questions regarding my MEC 600 Jr loader. Turns out it's a Pre-1982 Model, the replacement parts I need are in stock and will ship momentarily!

I also learned of an online Load Data Center on Hodgdon's website that has LOTS of great information on shotshell loading data and offers data for 7/8 oz slugs, 7/8 oz Lee Precision slugs, 1 oz Buckmasters & Slugmasters & Lee slugs, and 1 1/8 oz slugs! All using the powders that I'll be using!

I also got a GREAT supplier of once-fired Federal Gold Medal Paper shotshells - my first load I received had over 1200 once-fired Federal Paper shells in two large boxes! ALL FREE, and they look almost brand spankin' new! So new looking it's tough to even see crimp marks on the shells! Also a second box of nearly 500 shells of 8-point star crimped plastic shotshells!

This is going to be GREAT!

Now I have to decide if I want to use the Lee or Lyman slug... And hopefully 'space out' the purchases of casting molds evenly... I predict that VERY soon I'll be loading some NICE 12 Gauge shotshells!

Thanks for all the information and replies here everyone! This website is GREAT!

MakeMineA10mm
08-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with all the advice above.

Snuffy - Would your loads work better with a longer wad column like the grey Winchesters? Looks like your crimp caved in... :D

oldtoolsniper
08-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I just came back from shooting a bunch of the 1 oz version of the lee slug. Using the lee data with 2 ¾ AA hulls out of a Remington 1100 and an 870, they chronograph at about 1500 fps and the felt recoil is very stout to say the least. At 50 yards I can hold a 3” group from kneeling or sitting using a sling, smoothbore and bead sight. At a 100 yards it’s like lobbing a mortar round at the target, I aimed well over the target and the accuracy was poo. I would not even call it ball park close grouping at 100 yards. I did recover the wads and had only one petal torn off of 25 shells, the wads show a deep impression from the drive key. I used two different wads to get my crimp good and firm the 1 ¼ oz wad required a ¼ 20 ga felt spacer under the slug to get a good crimp, the 1 1/8 oz wad required no felt to achieve a nice crimp. The wads with the felt showed no drive key impression the wads with no felt have the deep drive key impression. They both average out the same on the chronograph. 50 yards and under I feel confident after that I would not take the shot. I was shooting at a pallet sized target and some hit the dirt, some hit the target and some went over it into the berm.

Dutch4122
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Check out "BRP Custom Molds" in the "Vendor Sponsor" section of the forum. Bruce has four different slug mold designs he can cut for you. I have four of his molds myself and can testify to his workmanship & quality.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I've killed a deer every fall at up to 100yds with the Lyman 12 ga hollow base mould. They weigh about 530gr so you just start out with 1 1/8oz trap load data and work up from there .
I shoot a little 3-gun with them as well, and it WILL knock the steel down right now!!

Rich
DRSS

oldtoolsniper
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Check out "BRP Custom Molds" in the "Vendor Sponsor" section of the forum. Bruce has four different slug mold designs he can cut for you. I have four of his molds myself and can testify to his workmanship & quality.

Were those custom molds? I don’t see any listed for slugs.

Marlin Hunter
08-27-2009, 03:33 AM
I have shot both the 1oz and 7/8ox Lee slugs from an Remington 870 smooth bore, improved choke, and a bead sight. I had a lot of trouble with accuracy because it only had a bead sight. Both slugs will penetrate 1 side of a tire (through the tread). You need, or they recomend, pure lead. You need to get the mold REAL HOT!!!!. debur the inset or you will have problems getting the slug to drop.