PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits in an LCP!

MikeSSS
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
The boolits are cast from a Lee 105 gr SWC six cavity mold from range lead and are air cooled. These boolits are lubed with Liquid Alox, unsized and loaded over 2.2 gr of Win 231.

Pistol primers are a must, rifle primers won't work in this LCP. Seating depth is so that only 0.030" or so of the front driving band is in front of the case mouth. Yes, they look like they could never feed but they do, every time too.

This load and boolit gives lower slide velocity than factory ammo, it gives a better slide velocity and makes the LCP a great range gun. The cases are easier to find than with factory ammo but are still the devil to find. Accuracy is good, the LCP hit 4 of 6 on a torso sized steel plate at 50 yards the other day. I only tried it once but the misses were my fault.

The first 395 rounds ran perfectly, 42 were factory, the rest were reloads with the SWC. The next 21 used rifle primers (oops), most needed double or more strikes. After that 21 more with pistol primers ran perfectly. There has never been a failure to feed, extract or eject and never a failure to fire when using pistol primers.

Last gasp: the LCP draws really fast from a front pocket holster and kills grasshoppers dead.

Oh, one more thing, the Ruger build is superb as is the Kel-Tec design.

mtgrs737
08-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Try the Lee 102 1R Round nose lubed with BAC sized .357" over 2.7grs. of Bullseye. This load is 100% reliable and accurate in a Ruger LCP. Small pistol primer only on this little guy.

MakeMineA10mm
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Try the Lee 102 1R Round nose lubed with BAC sized .357" over 2.7grs. of Bullseye. This load is 100% reliable and accurate in a Ruger LCP. Small pistol primer only on this little guy.

I just loaded 120 of those with 3.0grs of W231 to test through my LCP. Just haven't had the range time to try them yet...

With the current state of 380 ammo, thank God we cast boolits and reload, eh?

MikeSSS
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Amen on that.

zardoz
08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I've been using the Lee 105 SWC in 380 loadings as well in my Kel-Tec P3AT.

Not one failure to feed here either. I've been using a hot load lately, of 3.2 grains of
W231 with those. Lube is 50/50 JPW/LLA.

Average chronograph speed with that load has measured 874 ft/s.
Interesting factor is recoil energy with 6 rounds (pistol plus ammo weight 318 grams),
measures at 4.95 ft/lbs.

Over 5.1 grains Blue Dot, the same bullet/lube averages 840 ft/s.

JIMinPHX
08-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Who would want to use rifle primers in a .380??? I just don't get why anyone would even feel the need to mention that. While we're at it, no shotgun primers either, or musket caps for that matter.:kidding:

Seriously though, I've always used 3 grains of bullseye in a .380. That gives slightly less punch than a factory ball load & gives good accuracy in medium frame autos like the PPK. I can see where one of the little micro-dinky .380s might like something even a touch more dainty than that, but I was a bit surprised that you had good results all the way down at 2.2 gr of 231. Thanks for posting that. I find it interesting.

zardoz
08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Forgot to mention, my gun is a brass flinger "to the moon" at that hot load.

A few months ago, I bought one of those 10' X 10' screen tent gazebos at a little super discount chain, for $50 on sale.

I put it up at my backyard firing range, and put a 12' X 12' blue tarp on the ground for a floor. Everything has been secured to the ground with those 12" steel tent peg nails. I threw away the ropes that came with the tent (maybe 3/16" nylon), and used 3/8" polyester boat rope to cinch the thing down.

I open the front screen panels and tie them off to allow a portal, by which the holy galena may pass unscathed. All brass is deposited on the blue tarp for quick recovery.

Rather unusual brass catcher perhaps, but it works great!

ScottJ
08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I've always used 3 grains of bullseye in a .380.

Interesting. I loaded my first .380s a couple months ago for my NAA Guardian using Ranier 95 gr round nose.

I found that same 3.0gr of Bullseye to be the best balance of power, accuracy and pressure.

2.8 was a bit light (but most accurate) and 3.2 started to show a bit more pressure than I liked.

I'm thinking that 102gr Lee mold might be the next boolit I try casting.

JIMinPHX
08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
That 102 is a great boolit in a .380.

kevbo
08-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Who would want to use rifle primers in a .380??? .

Probably somebody that had some rifle primers laying around and couldn't find any pistol primers to buy due to the current shortage.

Old Ironsights
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Probably somebody that had some rifle primers laying around and couldn't find any pistol primers to buy due to the current shortage.

SNERK!

I use SRPs in my .375s (after working the load up) all the time... for the same reason.

MakeMineA10mm
08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, here's the results from a couple magazines through my LCP today with cast boolits. Load was Lee 356-102-2R (weighs 105grs with my WW alloy), 3.0grs of W231, WinSP primer, and mixed brass. Cycling was 100% and accuracy was... Well, see for yourself:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=1239

That's a group of a little under 4" x 4" (a little under in both dimensions). If we throw out the two widest shots, it becomes right at 3" x 3". Not bad for 10 yards with a tiny pistol with nearly no sights! (And, I didn't use the little finger-thingy-extension, so this was holding it with two fingers! :D )

I'm quite pleased. That will shoot better than needed for the expected uses it will see... I think Ruger really did a nice job re-engineering and producing this little pocket pistol. It's quality is better than the Kel-Tec original, and it shoots great, feels well-made, all for (well) under $300, depending on how good you look and if you have a friendly FFL dealer... (I've been offered them as low as $245 out the door.)

ScottJ
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
This is only semi-related but the Blackberry buzzed with an e-mail from Midway earlier. Ranier plated 95gr round noses are in.

All I can say is I love my wife because she let me violate the credit card rule to get 500 on the way.