PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done business with Nuclead?

wallenba
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Has anyone bought from these guys? I found this website while surfing. They don't post their prices, so before giving them my e-mail and getting pestered I'm trying to find out if they are in the ball park on prices. WW getting harder to find in my area, and they can ship my alloy preferences from in stock. http://www.nuclead.com/leadshot.html

UweJ
08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
hi dutch
do you have a X-ray clinic in the area ? If so ask for Isotope containers they give them away for free. I get aprox. 100 pounds per month and they make very good boolits.
As for WW , check tire shops that specialize in bus and truck tires they do have the big ones even when the ones for cars will be gone.
I know my answer doesnīt have anything to do with your post but I thought it might help a bit,
Regards Uwe

mdi
08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I emailed Niclead once a few months ago asking for prices. The lead price varies with the stock market so price may change daily. I got a swift response. From what I remember, the prices were good and no min. order.

Rusty Parker
08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
A month or two ago, when lead was at .70/lb or thereabouts, Nuclead's price for *scrap* (not ingots) was around 1.14 or so. Ingots of pure plumber's lead were 4.00. Shipping was considerably more as I recall.

I've had good luck lately on ebay, actually. I've gotten pure lead in 1 lb ingots with shipping included for 1.10 to 1.20. And one of the guys I shoot with gets scrap from an x-ray clinic for .70/lb, we haven't found any free yet!

wallenba
08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
hi dutch
do you have a X-ray clinic in the area ? If so ask for Isotope containers they give them away for free. I get aprox. 100 pounds per month and they make very good boolits.
As for WW , check tire shops that specialize in bus and truck tires they do have the big ones even when the ones for cars will be gone.
I know my answer doesnīt have anything to do with your post but I thought it might help a bit,
Regards Uwe
Thanks Uwe, probably are some x-ray clinics, but is there any risk of residual radiation? The tire shops around here have started refusing to sell to anyone other than reclaimers. I don't know if that is by store policy, or something else. I'll ask at the truck shops though. I've never bought from a reclaimer, though there is a scrap metal dealer near here, that would still be cheaper than buying new, but then I have to sort, clean, smelt etc. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, so the less work the better.

wallenba
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
A month or two ago, when lead was at .70/lb or thereabouts, Nuclead's price for *scrap* (not ingots) was around 1.14 or so. Ingots of pure plumber's lead were 4.00. Shipping was considerably more as I recall.

I've had good luck lately on ebay, actually. I've gotten pure lead in 1 lb ingots with shipping included for 1.10 to 1.20. And one of the guys I shoot with gets scrap from an x-ray clinic for .70/lb, we haven't found any free yet!
Thanks Rusty, that gives a picture of who I'm dealing with. Sounds like they don't
woo us as customers with those prices, Rotometals seems a lot better deal. Even if I have to start buying that way, it's still a lot better than commercial bullets!

257 Shooter
08-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Walenba,

Rotometals gives Cast Booit members a 10% Discount and Shipping is free with a $100.00 purchase and very fast.

wallenba
08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Walenba,

Rotometals gives Cast Booit members a 10% Discount and Shipping is free with a $100.00 purchase and very fast.
Thanks! Did not know that!

windrider919
08-23-2009, 11:50 PM
hey UweJ - I have gotten shielding lead before, for an X-ray room there is NO residual radiation. However, I am dating a woman who owns an medical isotope company. She ships both isotopes and irradiated medicine. I asked her and she told me that SOME isotopes will leave a harmful amount of radiation in the shipping container. You said X-ray clinics, do you mean cancer radiation treatment clinics which is NOT X-ray (which is produced electrically everywhere in the world since the '60s) and usually does use a radioactive isotope. Not all radiation is bad but Jennifer says that it would be best to store them for three to 4 months before melting them down to let the half-life drop to a safe level. Unless they are storing them for a time before disposing of them to you. But you probably should ask about that and just what isotopes they are receiving. Radiation is not really as dangerous as the public believes. Most people only know of radiation from the distorted misinformation out of movies. The only reason I posted at all was so that if some reporter or overzealous public servant finds out they will sure make a big fuss, even if it is not warranted. CYA is all.

Just so you can understand where I am coming from, I am not being alarmist. I like to shoot spent uranium fuel gotten out of atomic reactors. It is heavier than lead so is actually more efficient out of the same mould. Better BC. I get it from the racing sailboat keel mfgs in the marine industry locally. They use it for the same reason, heavier keel for same size or smaller keel for same weight (less surface area, less water friction). It has some slight residual radioactivity but unless you kept it on your person you get no more dosage than an old radium dialed pocket watch or believe it or not, 6 hours flight in an airliner at 35K feet at mid-day (where the radiation from the sun gives you a dose equivalent of several hundred x-rays. Think what a pilot gets in their career!).

UweJ
08-24-2009, 04:51 AM
windrider919
Thanks for the concern but there is no danger on my side. A friend at the shooting club is a nuclear physician and he uses some Isotopes to check the thyroid gland.
Halflifetime is so low itīs neglectable,the radiation is really minimal but gov.regulations require the transport to be made in lead containers.Good for me since he is not a caster.He has two size containers,the small one around 400 gramms and the large one around 900 grams.Clean lead makes very good .45`s
Uwe

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2009, 06:10 AM
where the heck do you get spent reactor fuel!!!!!!
hey UweJ - I have gotten shielding lead before, for an X-ray room there is NO residual radiation. However, I am dating a woman who owns an medical isotope company. She ships both isotopes and irradiated medicine. I asked her and she told me that SOME isotopes will leave a harmful amount of radiation in the shipping container. You said X-ray clinics, do you mean cancer radiation treatment clinics which is NOT X-ray (which is produced electrically everywhere in the world since the '60s) and usually does use a radioactive isotope. Not all radiation is bad but Jennifer says that it would be best to store them for three to 4 months before melting them down to let the half-life drop to a safe level. Unless they are storing them for a time before disposing of them to you. But you probably should ask about that and just what isotopes they are receiving. Radiation is not really as dangerous as the public believes. Most people only know of radiation from the distorted misinformation out of movies. The only reason I posted at all was so that if some reporter or overzealous public servant finds out they will sure make a big fuss, even if it is not warranted. CYA is all.

Just so you can understand where I am coming from, I am not being alarmist. I like to shoot spent uranium fuel gotten out of atomic reactors. It is heavier than lead so is actually more efficient out of the same mould. Better BC. I get it from the racing sailboat keel mfgs in the marine industry locally. They use it for the same reason, heavier keel for same size or smaller keel for same weight (less surface area, less water friction). It has some slight residual radioactivity but unless you kept it on your person you get no more dosage than an old radium dialed pocket watch or believe it or not, 6 hours flight in an airliner at 35K feet at mid-day (where the radiation from the sun gives you a dose equivalent of several hundred x-rays. Think what a pilot gets in their career!).

selmerfan
08-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll second that question Lloyd!

UweJ
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
would that be considered " depleted uranium"?:)

MtGun44
08-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Depleted uranium is NOT spent reactor fuel. This is the useless portion of the
mined uranium left over after "enrichment" (sorting out the good stuff from the useless
stuff).

Depleted uranium is moderately radioactive, and is pyrophoric - burns well when it hits,
which is why they use it in warshot for the A10 Warthog. I think our 'reactor fuel shooter'
has a vivid imagination unless he is talking about the Warthog or a few other military guns
that do us DU in the projectiles. Might have fired it in the service.

Bill

UweJ
08-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info,learned something new.
Uwe

Lunk
08-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Spent reactor fuel is only about 2% spent. I gets pulled because some of the isotopes that are created can (theoretically) cause a runaway reaction. It's half-life is in the tens of thousands of years and it's harmful life is potentially in the millions.
I imagine he's talking about DU. Up until 1984 Boeing used a little over 100lb of DU in 747's for stability. It was denser and harder than lead so easier to shape and bolt down. I dunno what they're using now but I imagine it's not lead.