PDA

View Full Version : RayinNH Hornady gaschecks

Swagerman
04-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey, RayinNH, here's some of your .45 caliber Hornady gaschecks attached to a lee .45 Colt 255 grain bullet in a 3 step operation.

All you need is a C-H Swage die that has the ogive chamber with rounded chamber with flat top ejector.

(1) Put cast bullet in lube press and lube it.

(2) Set bullet nose on shellholder punch and very gently ram bullet backward up
into swaging die to form a slight taper to allow the gascheck to be attached.

(3) Slip Hornady gascheck onto bullets base, reverse bullet direction on the
punch and gently ram it nose first back up into the swage die for a good
crimp.

You can do this on any type of cast bullet in any caliber, doesn't matter if the bullet is soft or hard lead.

Ray, thanks again for the sample packet of .45 GCs, the Hornady brand is the best.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P80200353bulletsshowingGCtaper.jpg

Note: The middle bullet now has the taper needed from the swaging die ogive chamber.

RayinNH
04-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Swagerman, I'm honored to be included as the title of a thread.:cool: You're welcome for the gaschecks. What are you shooting them in and how fast are you pushing them to require the extra work?
Ray

Swagerman
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, I've got the option of sizing the 260 grain bullet at .454 and use them in my old S&W 2nd model with HS6 at 10.7 grains = 865 fps velocity, 14,000 CUP. But that is a little warm for this big slug in such an old gun.

Or, Titegroup at 6.3 grains = 797 fps, 12,000 CUP.

Universal 8,0 = 813 fps, 14,000 CUP.

These are all 260 grain lead bullets, but mine are casting at 263 to 265 grain.

I have another .45 Colt caliber revolver, its a Taurus Tracker 5-shot, but usually use .452 diameter bullets in it. Of course I could size them slugs that size if I want too.

One thing about these Hornady gaschecks, they seem to bump up nicely when I size them .454 diameter...so, no problem with any spring-back like those nasty old brass Lyman I was using.

Jim

RayinNH
04-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Swagerman, have you tried them just plain based as they were intended ? I shoot the same boolit in my Blackhawk and Marlin rifle to probably 1200 or so fps with no leading. That gas check is pretty close to being the most expensive part of your cartridge...Ray

Swagerman
04-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I realize the GC is for higher velocities, but am hoping they will help clean up the dirty barrels from powder residue of different types that are notoriously filthy.

I've got cans of powder that have been around forever, like to shoot it all up if possible.

And, perhaps a few warm loads to keep the boogerman in check.

Jim