PDA

View Full Version : my 45ACP boolit reloads jam...

par0thead151
08-22-2009, 10:21 PM
i have finaly mastered the art of bullet casting, and lucky enough for me i do not need to resize my boolits to shoot them in my sig 220 and sig 226 as they dont lead even after hundreds of rounds. anyways. for the 45 ACP the rounds jam every 3rd or 5th round where the spent shell casing's rim would angle down towards the magazine, and the next loaded round's brass lip would catch on the rim of the spent shell casing...
i assume this means i need to add more powder to the reload?
or is this another issue?
thanks

runfiverun
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
an ejection issue usually means more oomph.
but i don't know your load so it's hard to say definately yes.

35remington
08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Printing the powder, grains loaded and bullet weight as well as shape would be helpful.

Shiloh
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
More powder, or possibly a solid hold could help also.

Shiloh

mdi
08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Did you get your load data from a good manual (or better yet two)? It's best to stick to proven loads and powders and, as noted above, you may need a bit more pressure in your handloads. Re-check your manual and go up a grain or so.

Storydude
08-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Did you get your load data from a good manual (or better yet two)? It's best to stick to proven loads and powders and, as noted above, you may need a bit more pressure in your handloads. Re-check your manual and go up a grain or so.

I'd go 1/2 a grain to start and down 2 Lbs on the recoil spring.

Acronn
08-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I traced my jamming problem to the boolit diameter. I don't size them, and I found that one mould I used molds boolits that are just a bit large in diameter for my gun, and this was messing up how the gun cycled. I took the barrel out (and now always do) and I use that as a go/ no go check by placing a finished bullet in the barrel (with the barrel removed from the gun !)
This has worked well for me to be sure my finished bullets fit properly.

I have no problems with the Lee tumble lube boolits in 200 and 225 grain. So that is what I shoot now.

KYCaster
08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm not very familiar with the Sig, but if it were a 1911 I'd take a close look at the extractor and the ejector. If the slide is back far enough to pick up a round from the magazine then the empty brass should be out of the gun and out of the way.

Given the limited info, I'd suspect not enough extractor tension. The situation may be improved with a load that cycles the gun faster, but if you're getting full slide travel it shouldn't matter.

Just another opinion....[smilie=f:

Jerry

fredj338
08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Let me guess, 200grLSWC? They don't feed in all guns. I suspect that the sharp edge of the bullet is hanging up in the extractor groove of the spent case. Try loading a bit longer OAL or swtiching bullet style. My XDTAC won't reliably feed the 200grLSWC at any OAL, so I now shoot RNL or TC.