PDA

View Full Version : Smith &Walther

James C. Snodgrass
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I just noticed on a TV commercial a new Walther PPS and the thing says S&W Springfield Ma. on the slide ? When did Smith get involved with Walther ? I mean it ain't a bad thing maybe I just missed it . James

anachronism
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
1999, IIRC.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=11001

bootsnthejeep
08-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, quite a few years ago. I think they make the complete PPK in the plant in Houlton.

BarryinIN
08-23-2009, 10:58 AM
It was part of some complicated (to me) deal involving:
-the Walther PPK/S pistols being made here by S&W,
-S&W selling Walther's P99 with their own slide,
-Walther selling an L-frame revolver with their name on it (called the R99)
-Walther making and selling airgun versions of S&W revolvers
-And probably 100 times as many items or details we would never know about or understand, like T-shirts, belt buckles, etc.

From what I understood at the time, the most valuable part of the trade for Walther was getting the rights to make the airguns, since that is such a big thing in Europe thanks to their regs.

All I want is a .22 caliber PPK. My hopes rose after this deal, but I haven't seen anything happen about it yet.
I have an original German PPK in .22 but it is new22 in the box with papers, goodies in the bag and all, so it's one of the very few guns I've owned but haven't shot. S&W and Walther needs to hurrry before I break down and shoot it.