PDA

View Full Version : Call fer help to all ya'll out west...

redneckdan
04-06-2006, 01:03 AM
My brother is working in Yellowstone this summer, since I haven't seen him since last august and won't see him before he leaves, I want to go out and visit him. I can get a greyhound to Livingston or Bozeman, but I need to find a ride to the park boundry. If anyone would be willing to help me or knows some one who would; I would greatly appreciate it, I'd be more than willing to work out a deal IE day of help on the ranch and/or gas money in exchange for a ride. Thanks.

waksupi
04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
My brother is working in Yellowstone this summer, since I haven't seen him since last august and won't see him before he leaves, I want to go out and visit him. I can get a greyhound to Livingston or Bozeman, but I need to find a ride to the park boundry. If anyone would be willing to help me or knows some one who would; I would greatly appreciate it, I'd be more than willing to work out a deal IE day of help on the ranch and/or gas money in exchange for a ride. Thanks.

Dan, I'm not sure the Mountain Line doesn't run busses to the Park. You might check with the state dept. of tourism. I'm too far away to give you a ride, but hopefully we have someone closer to the area to help you out. Something to think about, if you are just trying to get to the park boundary. Do you have any idea of how big Yellowstone is? It is one big chunk of real estate. Kind of like walking across a small state. The boundary still leaves you a far piece away from things, and some areas can be hazardous to be a-foot in, due to the wildlife. You might check with a travel agent, and see how they get people to the park.

Scrounger
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Dan, I don't know much about Yellowstone, I traveled through it once, about ten years ago. We entered from Idaho Falls and it wasn't too far at all to get to the Park Headquarters at Madison, I think. If you can catch a ride to Idaho Falls, I think they have bus service into the park, probably to Madison. Most likely your brother is living or working out of there. Here is a link to a to information on the park, some good maps, etc... Hope it works out for you.

redneckdan
04-06-2006, 11:19 AM
The boundary still leaves you a far piece away from things, and some areas can be hazardous to be a-foot in, due to the wildlife. You might check with a travel agent, and see how they get people to the park.

Ya, I noticed its kinda big. I know one of the park hotel managers, she will pick me up at the park boundry. Where is the nearest train station to yellowstone? I'd rather take the train then bus, airfair is to dang expensive.

MT Gianni
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
The only train service to Montana is along highway 2, "the Hi-Line" as it's known locally. Livingston to Gardener or Bozeman to West Yellowstone are the two closest city's to the park. I am about 4 hours away on a non-tourist day so probably couldn't help you, just be aware that 4 hours is " not that far" by Montana standards. Gianni.

454PB
04-06-2006, 10:19 PM
No to be a smart as*, but I would think it would be easy to hitch hike from Livingston to Gardiner. There's a lot of traffic on the hiway.

redneckdan
04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I thought about it and thats a high possiblity. I will only have my back pack and a fly rod tube. I'm debating about my 1911, greyhound doesn't allow cpl but I do have a 5 hour lay over in milwaukee.

waksupi
04-06-2006, 10:33 PM
No to be a smart as*, but I would think it would be easy to hitch hike from Livingston to Gardiner. There's a lot of traffic on the hiway.

That could be a good option. The tourist probably wouldn't pick you up, but there is a fair amount of ranchers and locals who would probably give you a lift. Make a cardboard sign saying "Yellowstone", and you would probably make good progress. If you should get stuck at the little wide spot of Pray, Mt., they have great burgers in the saloon.

They don't like guns in the park, either. But, I would consider it irresponsible to not carry on a trip like this. Get a good concealment rig that you can preferable wear on your body, or in a little hip pack. As long as it doesn't profile, it should go unnoticed.
Up here in Glacier Park, the rangers don't bother checking for firearms with vehicles, carrying 7 county license plates. They KNOW we are armed. And as long as you don't flash it around, no one will ever cause you a problem. Better safe, than sorry.

redneckdan
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
That They don't like guns in the park, either. But, I would consider it irresponsible to not carry on a trip like this. Get a good concealment rig that you can preferable wear on your body, or in a little hip pack. As long as it doesn't profile, it should go unnoticed.

i thought at first that I could get by with my hunting knife, but I would rather have the pistol and not need it then need it and not have it. Wyoming has reciprocity with michigan cpl. I would most likely have it in my carry on or even in my camera bag while on the bus. Does anyone know if greyhound has secruity like an airport does? I do have a milt sparks summer special holster that hides pretty well. I thought about temporarily buying a friends J-fram .38 (he offered) but if I'm gonna have a pistol, I might as well have a .45