PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 / Toilet Paper

beng
08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I have been into making my on .458 (45-70) boolits for about 2 months now, and have a Buffalo Classic rifle. I only use it for targets and/or silhouette shooting. I was told when I started to use Acc. XMP-5744. I did and it is a good powder for what I use it for, (1350 fps) It is getting harder to get the 5744 so I was told to use IMR-4198. With the 405 boolits it is 29 gr of 4198 at 1300 - 1350 fps and I have NEVER has any trouble with it. Now, I am told to use a filler. I got on the web and found some papers about 4198. One said I could start with 29gr for a light load and work up to 38gr load ( for my rifle which is 28000 CUP) One paper I read, was put out in 1998, I'm not even sure who put it out, but it states, "Do not use IMR-4198 with a light load with out a filler". He did not like cream of wheat or corn meal:-? but to use a 2" square of toilet paper." I have ask a few questions here about reloading and have got back very good answers, so will some one help me out .

runfiverun
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
it's for the ignition.
if you are having vertical stringing or unburned powder in the bore a filler is a good thing. if your targets are in the accuracy range you expect with your rifle,and you don't have unburned powder filling your bbl i wouldn't sweat it.

BoolitBill
08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I have used 29 grains of 4198 with a 3/4 by3/4 inch dacron wad as per Lyman's loading manual. The wad I cut from a sheet of dacron padding material that was made for a padding that goes under the sheets of a baby crib. One sheet will last you years and years. Used a pencil to push it into the case. I would get about 1350 fps out of my guide gun.

softpoint
08-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Just make sure it's unused toilet paper, or your loads will be pretty crappy:bigsmyl2:

crabo
08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Just make sure it's unused toilet paper, or your loads will be pretty crappy:bigsmyl2:

Personal experience?

fredj338
08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I have used 29 grains of 4198 with a 3/4 by3/4 inch dacron wad as per Lyman's loading manual. The wad I cut from a sheet of dacron padding material that was made for a padding that goes under the sheets of a baby crib. One sheet will last you years and years. Used a pencil to push it into the case. I would get about 1350 fps out of my guide gun.
I agree, much better filler than CW or TP. I used to shoot a lot of 45-70 w/ 300grLFP & 9gr of Unique & dacron filler.

mooman76
08-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I find drier lint works as well for me as the dacron and it's free.

primersp
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
i put always a kapock filler in a 458 win with a vectan powder similar burning rate than your 4227 ,less the inition of the primers pass through the powder, stick the bullit in the first land .

WHITETAIL
08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
I use a small piece of cotton in my loads.:cbpour:

XWrench3
08-23-2009, 08:17 AM
well, i have used several different powders for light loads, and i have never used any kind of filler at all. i have never had any ignition problems. as for using 4198 for light loads, personally, i use it for the opposite, heavy loads. i use IMR SR-4759 for light (reduced) loads in several different rifles. again, with no filler. it works great! in my 45/70 (Marlin 1895g guide gun) i use between 20.0 and 25.0 grains of it with 400 grain jacketed bullets. i have also used 25 grains of it behind a 350 grain lead slug once, but my home cast boolits were defective (out of round, leaving lead in the barrel) so i had to send the mold back to lee to be repaired. i know a lot of data shows fillers, i do not really understand why. when you are shooting reduced loads, it is very unlikely anything dangerous will be charging you, so if you have a misfire, or a hangfire, it usually is not going to be that big of a deal. plus, having never experienced a misfire with reduced loads, i would think they would happen more in way cold weather, or maybe with marginal componenets. in anycase, i wish you a lot of good shooting, let the lead slinging begin!

mooman76
08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
It isn't really to prevent misfires and such. Some powders are position sensitive. They will still fire but they will fire more cosistant if the powder is in the same place in the round when fired. That give better accuracy.

303Guy
08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I like cotton wool filler. It has three purposes - most importantly, if the boolit just happens to stay in the throat upon extracting an unfired round .....
It also holds the powder in the same place and thirdly, cotton cleans the bore!
BUT, some folks have had cotton setting fire to the range! I only once found evidence of the cotton getting scorched. I don't know what caused it but it could have set fire to dry grass.

largom
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I always check the velocity of my loads with a chronograph. I noticed when I started using a filler [dacron] my velocities were much more consistant and grouping improved.
Larry

cajun shooter
08-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Bing, It's so the powder will have a good even burn and give you the best accuracy. It will fire without the filler but as has been stated you could have vertical stringing. There are several powders that are position sensitive and if possible it's better to not use them in reduced loads. With today's powder shortage that might not be possible but you should look around. Now if you want to use that BC as it was intended buy some Goex Cartridge or at least 2F and have some fun. Loading with BP is easy and not complicated if you follow some easy steps. Come over to the Dark Side and you will not go back. In fact I have a friend who used BP and a BC to shoot 1000 yd target!! No white powder will do that.

badgeredd
08-24-2009, 08:49 AM

+1 on the drier lint. I tried it because of a post I found here. It works really well in my 45-60 single shot built on a H&R single shot shotgun frame. I totally eliminated the vertical stringing I was getting occasionally before I used the filler. AND free is good! :bigsmyl2:

Edd

hunter_usmc
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Never thought of cotton like cotton balls got to give it a shot

beagle
11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
May "foul" the bore as well./beagle

Ricochet
11-04-2009, 11:00 PM
So is belly button lint.

beemer
11-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I use 27 grs of 5744 and a 405 gr. boolit with a tuft of dacron over the powder in my 45-70. Without a filler I would get different POI depending on the position of the powder. About 7 tenths of a grain of loose dacron made my load more consistant.

Dave

Mausermeister
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
So is belly button lint.

I sold a jar of bellybutton lint on ebay once as a joke. Always wondered what the buyer wanted it for. Guess now I know.

The Double D
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
, "Do not use IMR-4198 with a light load with out a filler". He did not like cream of wheat or corn meal:-? but to use a 2" square of toilet paper." I have ask a few questions here about reloading and have got back very good answers, so will some one help me out .

Are you using IMR4198 and having a problem with ignition or erratic ignition?

If you are, then you might consider a filler...there are better fillers than TP...kapok, dacron, cottonn carded sheeps wool.

If your aren't having problems apply the rule "ain't broke, don't fix"