PDA

View Full Version : Max OAL in a Marlin 45/70

Johnch
04-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I have been ignoring the Marlin to long .
I want to load 500 and 550 gr bullets to try .
But every book I look at lists a different Max OAL for the Marlin and only 1 even lists a 500 gr bullet .
I have load data I want to try , But

What is the Max OAL I should load that will work thru the action ?

Johnch

Jack Stanley
04-05-2006, 09:04 PM
If I remember right it's 2.550" I don't load longer than that and everything has worked fine so far .

Jack

quasi
04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
the Marlin ejector can be modiifed so you can load a longer l.o.a.. Up to 2.700 or so.

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2006, 05:45 AM
the Marlin ejector can be modiifed so you can load a longer l.o.a.. Up to 2.700 or so.

How does that help it feed the longer cartridge?

Maven
04-07-2006, 10:06 AM
OAL can be as long as 2.68" IF you load through the gate. This will allow you to use 500gr. CB's, but it will also wedge the CB into the rifling when you close the action and force you to remove the lever, bolt and ejector (and loaded round) if you decide not to fire the cartridge. On a more positve note, if you use a 400gr. CB seated to 2.68", you can get 70gr. of black powder (FFFg) and a milk carton wad in the case with compression.

26Charlie
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
AND, once you have a magazine jam on a Marlin you'll know all about the OAL your rifle will permit. You need a screwdriver handy to tale out the lever, bolt, ejector, and finally the offending cartridge, the bullet of which will have clearly showing marks how much too long it is.

Maven
04-15-2006, 07:00 PM
After reading 26Charlie's post, I realized I misstated something. To wit, OAL can indeed be as long as 2.68", but only if you load directly into the chamber, not the gate. Sorry for the error!

snowtigger
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Mine will run with 2.55", but will occasionally jam at 2.58'. A sharp rap on the recoil pad usually frees the offending cartridge. I've learned to seat my bullets a couple thousandths shorter than 2.55'". Can this be fixed?

beagle
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Just looking back over old data and noted the following lengths for "heavies":

462560HP 2.686

457125HP 2.500

45-500-FN 2.525

All of these fed through the action of my M1895 Marlin. The front band on the 457125 probably caused me to seat it that deep as I was looking for all of the wiggle room I could get due to powder space. Sizing was .459".

The problem I've noted in using 500+ grainers in lever .45/70s is that due to the short seating depth, you run out of powder space pretty quick. Still, I was able to get all that my shoulder could stand in the case. They're awesome loads at 100 yards or less. The same applies to the .458 X 2" cartridge and more so because of the thick cases./beagle

stardate2010
04-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I plan to take my 1895CB and have the barrel reamed to at least a 45-90. I have even toyed with the idea of 45-120, but would need to see how much metal is left in the chamber area??? Then the longer cartridge will not be a problem. You can still use the 45-70 rounds with longer bullets and fit them easily into the chamber. I have ordered the NEI 645gr gc casting dies and won't be experimenting with the round until I get home. As far as powder capability, I was just reading up on some 2400 behind the 400 - 500 gr bullets on another board to push them out the tube. Think they were talking about 25 to 35 gr 2400 behind some of the bullets, but need to verify that before using that data.
Just my ideas/opinions...

Finn45
04-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Problem with .45-90 and longer in 1895 Marlin is that cartridge length is limited because of the action length and ability to feed only slightly past 2.7" long cartridges (when modified to the max). A bit longer than that and it's impossible to cycle from the magazine. That's why it's pretty much useless to ream it for .45-90. If Marlin is loaded through the ejection port one by one as a single shot, it's still not very practical to ream it for longer cartridges, because Marlin action ejects only around the same length 2.7" (when modified). Every round must then be fired when chambered or lever-bolt disassembly is needed to eject unfired round. If I ever would need or want more powerful cartridge in Marlin 1895, it'll be .475Gov't/.475-70/or what ever that cartridge is called; normal .45-70 case straightened to take .475 boolit. It needs basically only new barrel diameter and chambering, everything else works because there's enough room for that wide rim of .45-70. And no need to search for expensive brass. Well, they do these for 50 cal. as well...

Ranch Dog
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Not only do you have to consider bullet diameter and nose style or type and I've found that the limiting factor with big bullets often takes place as the cartridge enters the chamber from being on the carrier. With big or long, it can't make the corner! Big bullets usually mean that you are hunting something that is equally as big. Don't mess around with a .001" that will cycle at the reloading or shooting bench. It won't cycle worth a hoot out in the field in the heat of the hunt! I've learned that from personal experience. For my 95G I use 2.55". I know that a cartridge of that length is going to slide out of the tube and onto the carrier, angle into the chamber and the bolt close without any thought when time matters.

The older 444s have a neat carrier that was dropped before the 1895s entered the picture. On the aft portion of the carrier was a spring loaded assist that raised the aft portion of the cartridge so that it was near level as the carrier reached its upward movement. The cartridge enters the chamber in a near level attitude. These carriers are near the same as those used in the 336 and it was originally thought that the 444 cartridge would require to much effort to cycle from tube to chamber because of the additional weight over the 30-30 Win cartridge.

In the photo below of my 444T there is a triangle shaped piece of metal in the ejection port of the receiver. That is the right side of the assist and that triangle of metal keeps the cartridge from rolling out the ejection port. This is photo is taken at the upper limit of the carrier movement and a cartridge, if present, would be level before moving into the chamber with lever movement. It was a neat idea but I'm sure expensive to build. These 444s can accept a cartridge OAL of 2.62" without much thought. I wish all the big bores had this carrier with assist.