PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got ''rusty'' smokeless powder?

Limey
08-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Just finished up another tub of smokeless powder.....there is always some powder left that will not come out the spout so I always cut off the top of the tub to get at it............''watch the pennies and the pounds look after themselves'' as my old dad says!

....and look what I found!........

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1020349.jpg

....all those dark marks and ''freckles'' inside the cut off top are rust!.....rust was also eveident in the bottom of the tub.

I keep all my powder in a dry, even temperature environment so I can only guess that storage by the manufacturer, distributor or the shop is not so meticulus!......

...anybody else ever found rust in their powder tubs?........

...on the upside....it still shoots great!

Safe shooting,

Limey

AZ-Stew
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
If the powder itself looks rusty, dispose of it. Otherwise, if you're not getting rust dust in the powder, go ahead and shoot it.

Regards,

Stew

shooterg
08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Looks like he about shot it all already ! Couldn't been many reloads left in that thing...

No_1
08-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Total speculation here but it seems to make sense. Where I live there is high humidity and your location may or may not have the same conditions. My powder locker is climate controlled (~73F) but I load in a area that is not climate controlled. I take the powder outside, open the container then set it on the bench until I am done with the process. Once I am done with it I place it back in the locker. The temperature and humidity difference between the 2 locations most likely causes moisture (condensation) in the container and I believe this could possibly result in what you see. Almost all my containers are plastic and I have never cut open the metal ones but I am sure if I did I would see what you are seeing.

R.

MtGun44
08-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Minor rusting like that is not an issue. I have had a metal can of IMR4320 go bad and
it apparently released highly corrosive materials because when I poured some powder
out, it came out all reddish from the rust on the inside of the can. Very rusty. This
powder also smelled like acetic acid (plain vinegar) a bit. It was probably the acetic
acid vapor from the breaking down powder that rusted the can.

If you don't smell anything strange or have significant rust, I'm sure you are just fine.

Bill

Limey
08-22-2009, 01:12 PM
........hey MtGun44,

......the only time I smell anything funny is after I've had one of Mrs. Limey's curry's!

Safe shooting,

Limey

MtGun44
08-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Just don't get any curry on the powder can. I once ate some curry offered by an
Indian grad student at a big party while I was in grad school at Univ of Fla. It was
the hottest thing I have ever eaten. At this level, it would probably cut right
through the powder can and then attack the powder. ;-)

I hope you guys are doing well.

Bill

Limey
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
..Mrs Limey does cook a real mean curry.....next time you are over we'll give you a blast of it!....

....have you got round to making up Mrs Limey's Lemon Meringue Pie recipie yet?.....

Safe shooting and bon appetite!

Limey

MtGun44
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
No pie yet, things pretty messed up arount here. Lots of time mowing and
dealing with the funeral, and related.

I fly to to the Naval Academy tomorrow for the inurnment.

Bill

fourarmed
08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Just about a week ago I pulled out a steel can of SR-4756, and noticed that every unpainted surface was rusty. Then I noticed that ALL unpainted steel surfaces in the cabinet were rusty. I had noticed a chemical smell in the cabinet for several days. I started removing powder cans from the cabinet, sniffing each one. Behind a large can of 231 was one I didn't need to sniff. A 1-lb. jug of H-322 looked like it had a brown rose on top of it instead of a lid. I could see the white closed-cell foam lid gasket right through the steel lid. I carefully took it to the sink and started running water over it. The remains of the steel lid dissolved, and a reddish-brown vapor came out which I assume was nitric acid, as it had that smell. I put everything except the jug down the disposal with lots of water.

Rocky Raab
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
You are a lucky man. A noted gun writer (John Wooters?) once picked up a can of powder in his VERY full powder locker - and the can was HOT. He ran, not walked outdoors and emptied it. It was probably minutes from spontaneous ignition.

Decomposing powder produces a very fine red dust, but it is not rust; it is decomposed powder. Decomposition produces heat (much like a pile of oily rags does), and it is possible to self-combust.

I have had only one such can, a post-WWII can of IMR4227 (still in a red and white can). Pouring some into my measure, I saw that ominous cloud of red dust. Remembering the Wooters tale, I spread the whole can on my yard, right then and there.

Spherical powders are probably immune to it, because they have much lower amounts of trace acids. Inspect cans of single-base extruded powders often. Simply pour some out into a tumbler. If there's no red dust, just pour it back and re-seal the can. If there is...

Rooster
08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Ha! A fellow Gator! This could get interesting.