PDA

View Full Version : Another new flinter

waksupi
08-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I got this project finished up this week. It is a Southern Mountain Rifle, no frills hunting gun. I got it from a friend in July at a shoot, as he had been lugging it around in the white for a couple years. The lock is one of the Old Doc Haddaways, so functions pretty nice. There are nice double lever/double set triggers on it. However, the first owner for some reason shortened the sear bar, so the front lever cannot reach the trip. I may fix this later on. When I got it, the barrel was 44" long, so I gave it a barrelectomy, down to 26".
He isn't sure who the barrel maker was, but thinks it was from a company in New York who generally makes modern barrels. The original owner was apparently making it into a sillouette rifle. I should have had a light go on when I heard that, but didn't.
When I took it to the bench, I was wanting to just find a nice light load at first, although I built this specifically as a hunting rifle. No luck. I started in at 60 grains, and started working my way up five grains at a time. At 90 grains 3f Schutzen, at 50 yards, it was coming down to about a six inch pattern. Not good.
It was when cleaning it, I really paid attention to the twist. I checked it several times. It is somewhere between 1-110, and 1-120. Ah ha! When he ordered the barrel, he must have read Forsyth's "The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles", as this was the recommended twist for longer range shooting with a ML.
So, enlightened, it was back to the bench.
I skipped right on up to 120 gr., and things were starting to come together. Group had dropped to around 2.5" at 50 yards. 125 gr. improved to around 1.5", and 130 gr. was printing under an inch, and I did get one group this morning of right around 1/2".
I was glad I didn't have to go beyond the 130 gr. load, as by the time I had reached that point, the recoil was getting to be rather demanding. I'm glad I won't have to shoot it off the bench any more.
I did take it up the mountain for some varied range shooting, and offhand it isn't at all uncomfortable to shoot.
I will tag on a picture of my rear sight, but it is pretty fuzzy. However, the idea is a full buckhorn open sight. But, the center is round, and used with the front sight like an aperture, rather than a notch. So far it is fast, easy to see the front sight and target, and hopefully will let me forget my glasses when hunting and not be handicapped. The previous owner had already cut the dovetail, so it is up the barrel further than I would care for, but the accuracy is there, even without the longer sighting plane.
Notice, I did add a sling, as this will be lugged around the mountains quite a bit.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
You will come to really prefer that rifle for a great variety of hunting because it will be so handy. I have a similar one in .54 flint for RB with a 27" barrel. and it's a pleasure, especially early season in NC when it is still wall to wall green and thick.

Your craftsmanship looks outstanding. BvT

mazo kid
08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Ric, as usual, very nice work. What caliber is the rifle? Were you shooting patched round ball or boolits? Emery

Dean D.
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
[smilie=w:

That is an AMAZING transformation from the gun I saw in camp at Libby. WELL done my friend! What stain did you end up using? I really like how that finish came out.

Mr. Weberstein is going to wonder why he sold it now! :lol:

docone31
08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
A rifle by a craftsman!
Well done.

JeffinNZ
08-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Nice shootin' iron! Good length for the NZ bush. When you coming over?

Maven
08-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Nice workmanship Ric. Yup, the rifle's handy enough, but my shoulder hurts just thinking about a 130gr. powder charge!

waksupi
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Hmmm, my reply disappeared. New server glitch, maybe.

It is a .54, shooting round ball. I never have shot an elongated boolit in a ML, and most likely never will. I know what works.
It will certainly be much handier than my English Sporting Rifle, as it is a long heavy rifle.
The stain is a mix of yellow, red, and medium brown leather dye, topped off with Watco oil finish, and a finish polish of lanolin.

Hanshi
08-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Nice rifle, for sure. Looks like a superior brush & carry gun. Just curious as to what you think about the shortened barrel from the standpoint of complete powder combustion? I know it's a moot point as you found the accuracy sweet spot.

waksupi
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Nice rifle, for sure. Looks like a superior brush & carry gun. Just curious as to what you think about the shortened barrel from the standpoint of complete powder combustion? I know it's a moot point as you found the accuracy sweet spot.

Good question. I have wondered what the load would have been with the 44" barrel. Not that I wondered enough to leave it that length, as it was a heavy old pig before I cut it down.
I'm sure there is a fair amount of unburned powder being blown out, but with the accuracy I am getting, I can put up with it.
Having also read Forsyth's "The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles", he also recommended barrel lengths for jungle hunting as short as 24". I doubt the excess powder was a consideration back then, and for my purposes as mainly a hunting rifle, I see no real drawback.

waksupi
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
[smilie=w:

That is an AMAZING transformation from the gun I saw in camp at Libby. :lol:

I TOLD you there was a a rifle under all that stuff! :redneck:

Dean D.
08-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I TOLD you there was a a rifle under all that stuff! :redneck:

Yup, ya sure did. Never doubted you for a minute... [smilie=1:

BUT! :holysheep I never thought it would turn out that nice! :mrgreen: :drinks:

northmn
08-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice looking rifle. Tennessee butplates do little to soften the recoil also. Usually a rear sight mounted up the barrel a ways helps older eyes, not saying you need help, just mentioneing it. I have used brass inlays with possible engraving as in names, to fill dovetails and put the sights where I might want them. Usually further up the barrel as my eyes do need a little help.

Northmn

waksupi
08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
After having shot this for the past week, I decided I didn't care for the set triggers, so, today I cut out a new trigger plate and trigger. It took a bit of fiddling and filing, but I got it hung, and still have a trigger pull of around 3 pounds. The set triggers were set far ahead in the trigger bow, and I could tell that with a glove on, it would be nearly impossible to get my finger on the front trigger when hunting. Now I have plenty room, and an acceptable hunting weight trigger. Being a Hadaway lock, with an engagement screw in the tumbler, I may be able to lighten it a bit yet. Guess I may as well give that a try right now!

Yup, just did it. Quarter turn on the screw gave me about 1 1/2#, no creep, and I couldn't jar it off of full cock. Good deal!

northmn
08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
DST's are not the best in a hunting rifle, and I also prefer a good single trigger. You can muffle the click of bring the lock into battery with a single trigger as well as knowing which trigger is which. After lugging a long rifle around in the MN brush last year I opted for a shorter gun but have been too busy to get it built and got side tracked on making a 25 small game flinter. Also I am not as excited on getting one built as I used to be. About the only thing with heavy powder charges is that when I chronographed I found that they do not always give a lot of extra velocity for their extra volume. Accuracy is accuracy however and for a gun to be shot in the field a little extra recoil isn't so bad. A 54 is a nice caliber and seems to be big enough for most critters and yet not as punishing as the bigger bores.

Northmn