PDA

View Full Version : How does one keep the the Seater free of Alox

tackstrp
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
With all the tumble lubing, i can see Lee lube stuff on top of the bullet, which I would think would build up on the Seater and keep pusihing the bullets deeper in the case.

Is there an easy way to clean off the top of bullets before puttting in A progressive reloader. I am a fan of Dillon Seater dies because of the way the seater can be removed.

Calamity Jake
08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
You will just have to live with it and clean out the seater every 150 rounds or so

O.S.O.K.
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I was going to say "good luck" let us know if you figure out a way :)

wallenba
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
That was a problem for me too in the beginning, but I realized I was'nt thinning it enough for it to dry completely. Later I switched to Rooster Jacket lube, works like Lee Liquid alox, but dries clear and harder when applied right. Finally invested in a Lyman 4500 lubrisizer so that I could load without waiting overnight. Happier now. Tumble lubing is a good way to go, don't get me wrong, I just prefer the old way. I used paper towel and mineral spirits to wipe the noses and bases, but be prepared for feedback on the smell if doing it in the house.

bigboredad
08-20-2009, 11:39 AM
use johnsons paste wax dries hard works great for lube smells good and makes yoyr barrel oh so purdy

happy7
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
One common mistake is to put too much alox on your bullets. You do not need more than a very thin coat. This thin coat will not build up nearly as fast as a thick coat.

O.S.O.K.
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM
perhaps this will help:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/Picture_0142.jpg

Thats how much I use.

This bullet performs great with zero leading out of a 20" Marlin carbine.

But, even with this, I do get some build up in my seater die and have to clean it out.

Only way "around" this with LLA is to whipe off the noses of the bullets before loading...

BABore
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Throw the coated, dried boolits in a gallon ZipLoc baggie with a good pinch of motor mica and toss them around to coat. I never get any buildup in my Dillon done this way.

tackstrp
08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
:) I can look up mica on yahoo, but could you tell me what you purchase. and where? I seen seveal posts about using mica

forester sell a white mica . is that what you mean.

Feel really dumb . did a search on MidSouth and found three souces of MICA

StarMetal
08-20-2009, 01:19 PM
STARMETAL'S TEFLON COATED BULLET SEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww shucks fellows, I'm just kidding. I guess the recommended remedies will have to suffice.

Joe:kidding:

P.S. Hey if someone comes up with this I want royalties!!!! [smilie=1:

Leftoverdj
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
:) I can look up mica on yahoo, but could you tell me what you purchase. and where? I seen seveal posts about using mica

forester sell a white mica . is that what you mean.

Usual brand name is "Motor Mica". Midway, MidSouth, and Brownell's all sell it. Just for a test, you could sub talcum powder out the medicine cabinet.

carpetman
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
ur uh maybe dont use alox?

mroliver77
08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
ur uh maybe dont use alox?

+1
Jay

Freightman
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
After the boolits are dry tumble them in a butter carton with talcum powder doesn't even get on you hands, and smells good also. Life is simple.

Recluse
08-21-2009, 08:39 PM
I use a mixture of 45% LLA, 45% JPW and 10% odorless mineral spirits. Very light coat, let dry, size, very light coat, let dry, load.

When I got away from straight LLA, the buildup in my seater dies also went away. Bores have never been cleaner, accuracy never been better.

:coffee:

Blammer
08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
don't use alox.. :) ah the obvious once again!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/CptObv.jpg

my work here is done.... :)

mooman76
08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
One way is to not get it on there in the first place. Put a small amount of TL on some wax paper or something similar. Spread it out and roll the bullets through it until coated with something like a ruler or paint stirer. then stand them up and let dry. Takes awhile longer but then you don't have to clean it off later.

Heavy lead
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't like LLA, when I did use it, I dipped lubed it. Only thing I have any use for tumble lubing is a 452460 after I've lubersized it with bac and I use one coat of JPW, it seems to work well in my 1911's, other than that, I don't tumble lube.

sundog
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
How does one keep the the Seater free of Alox?

Easy, clean it after seating each round.

truckmsl
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I tumble lube a fairly large volume of pistol bullets and really don't see this as much of an issue. Occasionally I'll clean my seater plug in place using alcohol on a q-tip, but I just don't get that much build up. Could you be using too much alox? I cut my alox/xlox with mineral spirits so it flows better. My experience with pistol boolits is that you don't need much on it to work.

shotman
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Heat it and do what mooman saidyou can do it in a pan too It is about as fast and keeps nose and base clean. The guys that dont like it are the dummys that dont know how to use it.

Spector
08-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I've tried not getting the LLA on the boolit meplates in the first place. The LLA/JPW lube seems to build up a lot less than straight LLA. I've had boolits seat noticibly deeper in the case after loading a lot less that 150 rounds. I use Lee seating dies for 45 ACP and 45 Colt. The bullets I use also have meplates.

Here's what I did. I replaced the seating stems with homemade ones that come to a slightly rounded point rather than being a cupped shape. Obviously it does not try to center the boolit but that has not been a problem in those two calibers. The slightly rounded point will push through any soft lube right to the meplate and yield a consistant seeting depth and not build up. Any lube that sticks just gets pushed harmlessly up the sides of the point. The first couple I made I used the bases from 30/30 cases. I drilled out the primer pockets and tapped the hole. Then threaded in a small diameter pointed machine screw. After I got the depth I wanted I soldered the machine screw into the 30/30 base.

The last one I made I sized to the threads in the Lee die and pointed it. I added a lock nut on top to hold my seating adjustments.

Works for me........Mike

softpoint
08-22-2009, 12:26 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that after the LLA has dried, you can put the bullets back in a container and tumble them with a little cornstarch. :coffee:

knappy
10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
With all the tumble lubing, i can see Lee lube stuff on top of the bullet, which I would think would build up on the Seater and keep pusihing the bullets deeper in the case.

Is there an easy way to clean off the top of bullets before puttting in A progressive reloader. I am a fan of Dillon Seater dies because of the way the seater can be removed.

Have the same problem Tackstrp I pull the seater apart about every 200 rds. and clean it and start again

tactikel
10-08-2010, 08:36 PM
For pistol bullets LLA built up much less than JPW/LLA on my seater. About every 100 rounds I shot some WD-40 into the die and cleaned it with a Q-tip- takes about 20 seconds. In .45 acp I get zero leading with wheel weights and LLA.

XWrench3
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
UNLESS YOU HAND CLEAN EVERY BOOLIT, OR DIP THE BOOLIT IN ALOX, I DO NOT KNOW OF A REASONABLY FAST WAY OF DOING IT. WHAT I DID TO HELP WITH THE TROUBLE, WAS DRILL A SMALL HOLE (1/8") IN THE CENTER OF THE SEATER ITSELF TO GIVE THE ALLOX BUILD UP A PLACE TO GO. I AM USING LEE DIES, I DO NOT KNOW IF THE OTHERS HAVE A REMOVABLE PLUG THAT ACTUALLY SEATS THE BULLET OR NOT. I WOULD SUSPECT THAT YOU COULD ALSO GRIND OR FILE A GROOVE THAT WOULD DO THE SAME THING. :redneck:

onondaga
10-09-2010, 12:08 AM
I recently started tumbling Alox tumbled bullets in a half gallon milk carton with powdered cornstarch for the same reason and this has worked for me. I clean the seating die with WD40 and a spiral brush. That does a terrific job cleaning my Lee seating dies of ALOX. Just remove the seating plug and you can clean right through the die and clean the plug separately with WD40 both very easily as WD40 dissolves ALOX very quickly. I have seen Mica and talc recommended but passed on that-mica and talc are products from stone and cornstarch is from less abrasive corn. Mica is a terrific dry lube, But I am concerned about it abrading barrel life.