PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a CB "benchrest" postal competition?

Stoats
08-20-2009, 06:01 AM
I had a stupid idea while cycling into work this morning -- would there be interest in a 100 yard/100 m "benchrest"-style cast bullet postal competition?

I'm thinking of a 5-round group size type match, but with rules which are more liberal than normal benchrest competitions (i.e. allow bipods, allow prone shooting) so that it can be shot on any 100 yard/100 m range, which would also help it work on both sides of the Atlantic.

Since this would be initially just for fun, and to prove what cast bullets are capable of, I am prepared to run the competition online for free if there is sufficient interest. People would be expected to measure their own groups and e-mail me a photo of the groups and the measurements and other relevant details.

Any interest? And would anyone care to post a link to this on the other cast bullet forums that are out there (I don't subscribe to any others)?

1Shirt
08-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Stoats, Not a stupid idea at all, and if you get something going, I would participate. That said, if you are not familiar with the Cast Bullet Assn (not highly favored by some on this forum), you will find an excellent Postal Match system in place that covers just about anything that you could think of regarding cast matches. Some of us belong to both forums. Check it out!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Stoats
08-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh, looks like the cast bullet Association do this kind of thing already... the records are rather impressive! I'm currently down to 2 MOA at 100 m (unimpressive, I know...) so I got rather a long way to go!

lead Foot
08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
You can count me in Mr stoats. Excellent idea.:-D
Lead foot;

Maven
08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Nothing stupid about it at all. However, I think you'll need to develop rifle classes (light & heavy production rifles, varmint rifles bench rest rifles, etc.) in order to be fair.

mike in co
08-21-2009, 07:47 PM
yep, gotta spread the rules around a little.
factory iron sights, match/apature sights, scopes.
factory stock/non-stock stock
factory trigger/reworked trigger/after market trigger
oem bbl/replacement bbl
there should be no restrictions on actual equiptment on the bench, as you have listed it as a "benchrest" match. those that chose to compete, but use less equiptment, that is thier choice.

i dont own but four stock factory rifles, one well suited to br competion like this.
lots of stock and stock plus scoped mil surplus.....
and i own three br rifles.....
if i remember correctly i shot a 13/16" at winnemucca, only to be beat by 45nut's 3/4"...with my rifle and my ammo!
tell us more of what you would like to do here( ferget them silly cba'ers)
mike in co

Pat I.
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
To be fair you really should run a postal somewhat along the lines of those "silly cba'ers". Since I doubt you're going to get many true BR rifles on the line I think you could get by with light production, varmint, lever, and military scoped and iron classes. Of course since it's your match you could forget all about that stuff and just have people shoot and send the results. A good match to break the ice and get things going would be two 10 shot groups averaged for record.

archmaker
08-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Come up with some reasonable working man classes. :) (Stock - Under 9lbs with scope, Stock Under 8 with Iron sights, and UNL Scope and UNL Iron - just some thoughts from the hip - drinking sTRONG Margaritas right now)

Have it to be for fun, and I am in!

I am certain I will not place and maybe come in dead last, but I think I am guaranteed to have fun!

rhbrink
08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I would be interested in playing but do think you need some "reasonable working man classes" like archmaker says.

1Shirt
08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Now that you have some responses, and thoughts, I would suggest you consider starting with only production rifles (scoped or iron sighted) that weigh under 10 lbs, and have a max power of 9 so that variable 3x9's could be used. A hunter class match for lack of better words. Might also suggest a standard target for all to use, and possibly one for score, and one for group.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Stoats
08-24-2009, 04:38 AM
1shirt, if I do this it will only be group sizes, so that it can be run on either a European/Antipodean 100 m range, or an American/British 100 yard range.

Depreacher
08-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey, it's your match but here's a suggestion for targets. The SR21C is perfect for open and peeps at 100 yards. The scope guys, me too, would probably prefer a 1" round or square bullseye with a white center. Then again, whatever target helps each individual shooter make the smallest group with his/her particular rifle is fine with me. I've got a killer as issued O3A3 to use. .311291/21gr. 4227= 1 1/4" on a good day, no wind, perfect light, good sturdy bench, no harrasing, no jitters, no red wasp circling head, no fire ants on bench, no dragging wood, no jerking trigger. These are the reasons my 1 1/4" groups degenerate to 3 1/2" patterns. :cry: anyway, count me in.

RU shooter
08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Count me in also ,I havent shot in any real competition basicly all year due to injuries in both shoulders ,This is just the kinda relaxing comp. I need, But lets keep it low key as its all just for FUN anyways .

Tim

waksupi
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Is this still on the burner?

I'd suggest shoot for group size, choose your own target, run what ya got.

Look back in this topic section, you will find other matches that have been run here, for ideas.

waksupi
09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Considering we are fast approaching hunting season, hunting rifle may be the way to go!

09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Sounds like fun. Low key and a good way to see what loads work for various rifle types. I'm not photo capable, so could I actually go postal, as it were, and send you the target for scoring?

WILCO
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Sounds like fun. Low key and a good way to see what loads work for various rifle types. I'm not photo capable, so could I actually go postal, as it were, and send you the target for scoring?

All ya need is a scanner, then upload it to photobucket so it can be posted here.

Stoats
09-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Sorry, I've been busy lately and not had any time to think about this.

Will give it some thought if I have time in the next week or so.

Stoats
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Okay, simple solution:

shoot two separate 5 round groups at any target of your choice with any rifle of your choice at either 100 m or 100 yards.

Photograph or scan the results, and post them in a new thread I will start.

Provide the following information:

Rifle, calibre, date, distance (100 m or 100 yards), groove diameter, bullet type, muzzle velocity (if known).

Measure each group outside edge-to outside edge, subtract the groove diameter of the barrel, and calculate the group size in MOA (@100yds, result in inches divided by 1.047 inches; @100m, result in mm divided by 29.08 mm). publish this result for each group.

Since this is just for fun, we won't divide it into classes.

Sound good?

lead Foot
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Sounds good for me Mr Stoats.
Lead foot;

rhbrink
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds good to me too. Looking at my boolit supply looks like I need to start casting.

Stoats
09-09-2009, 03:48 AM
OK, first one to shoot for record starts the results thread!

arcticbreeze
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
OK I am in.

lead Foot
09-26-2009, 10:46 PM
PM sent.
Lead foot;