PDA

View Full Version : What I got for not paying attention...

Kraschenbirn
08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Just finished spending a couple hours deleading the bore of my '09 Argentine carbine. Was fireforming brass (from milsurp 06 cases) this afternoon and, by the time I'd fired the first 20 rounds, accuracy had gone from the usual 2"-2 1/2" groups @ 100 yds to "minute of 7-ring." Ran a couple of patches through the barrel and fired the remaining 20 rounds without any improvement.

Now, the Argie has been a shooter from Day One with this particular load (19.5 gr of 2400 under a Lee 155-312-2R run through a .314 sizer just to lube and seat the GC) and, all the way home, I'm trying to figure out what the problem might've been. As soon as I got back and sat down at the bench, I realized what I'd done.

I also shoot this same boolit, sized .309, in my K-31 and...yep, you guessed it...I'd pulled the wrong tray out of the storage cabinet and seated undersized boolits in those 40 fresh cases. My fault completely...tray had a post-it label stuck between the back rows of boolits...just had my head stuck where the sun don't shine.

Two hours of swabbing with Shooter's Choice Lead Remover, alternated with scubbing using a bronze bore brush, and a whole gob of patches get it clean and shiney again. Oh well, it was probably due, anyway...I'd put between 500-600 rounds through the gun in the last couple months without more than a quick scrub with Shooter's Choice and a couple of oiled patches after each range session.

Bill

runfiverun
08-19-2009, 11:25 PM
i would've just shot some of the right sized ones.
bet it would've de-leaded it.

1Shirt
08-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Like the Pa Dutch sayin "Ve get too soon old and to late smart!"
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Bret4207
08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Stuff happens, next time try 4/0 steel wool or Chore Boy scrubbing pad.

jonk
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm surprised the bullets didn't fall right through the necks.

Doble Troble
08-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm surprised the bullets didn't fall right through the necks.

Before the small bullet explaination, I was thinking the problem might be due to thick necks from the resized -06 brass. When I make 7.65 x 53 the necks have to get turned or they chamber hard in my Argie.

Kraschenbirn
08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Before the small bullet explaination, I was thinking the problem might be due to thick necks from the resized -06 brass. When I make 7.65 x 53 the necks have to get turned or they chamber hard in my Argie.

Yep! I've experienced some "hard chambering" with the first batch of '06 (LC64) I formed into 7.65 Argie but the next two batches, formed from WCC54, have only felt a bit "snug" on the first firing and chambered just fine after that. Haven't got around to checking for thick necks of the stuff that was loaded with the .309 boolits (more WCC) but suspect may it may need turning before loading again.

Bill