PDA

View Full Version : Need some Kasenite

sharps1863
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I need to Re-harding my Frizzen and I hate to buy a whole pound of Kasenite just to do one Frizzen, I was wondering if someone had some extra, just enough to do my frizzen that they would maybe donate.:smile: I would pay the shipping.
Blazer88@inbox.com

John Taylor
08-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Many years ago I hardened the face of one with a chunk of leather. May still have the detail on how to do it in the back of the Dixie catalog. Basically you put the leather on the face and wrap it up in something that will take the heat , then heat it up to red and keep it there for a while then quench it in water. It raises the carbon content in the surface and you get a case hardened steel.
Bone meal, leather and charcoal is what they use for color case.

kenjuudo
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a couple gallon sized cans, PM me your address and I'll get some your way.

jim

missionary5155
08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Good afternoon
I would recommend quenching in oil rather than water. I have quenched in water many times BUT I do know a thin Cherry RED frizzen WILL crack when it hits cold water. I have NEVER had a thin frizzen crack in oil NOR have I heard of one cracking in oil.
What kind of oil... I have used old motor oil, new motor oil, transmission oil so far. I do not know if it really matters what kind of oil but that is what I have done and would do again.

northmn
08-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Water quenching should be done in realtively warm water, such as hot tap water. As high as 150 degrees to avoid cracking. Most are now recommending ATF instead of motor oil for quenching. It works well. Problem with Kasenit or other agents of that nature is that unless held for some time you only get a thin case. Dixie, for instance, recommended leaving the part in the wood fire coals for 1/2 hour or so. You place the part in a can formed around the part with the hardener against the face of the frizzen. An old time method.

Northmn