PDA

View Full Version : Leather...

shooter2
04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, ya gotta carry them right?
I just received my second holster from El Paso Saddlery. Nice! It's for my S&W "J" frames and they fit perfectly. The first one was for a 5.5" Ruger 45 Convertible. Also a perfect fit and with border stamping, pretty nice looking also. I'm curious as to what the rest of you use. I have some nylon holsters, but my taste really runs more to nice looking leather. They smell better too.

Singletree
04-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Shooter2,
My cowboy guns go in San Pedro Saddlery holsters. Big Ed puts a lifetime warranty on these, and he being a cowboy shooter is knowledgeable in his profession. My Smiths go in nylon shoulder holsters, however I agree leather looks better.

9.3X62AL
04-18-2005, 05:43 PM
I use an assortment of Bianchi, some old Safariland, and Galco leather for my short guns. I also use some Michaels nylon, and the Bianchi UM-84 is a real good multi-purpose sport and service rig that I have worked ragged from almost 20 years of use in both venues. Leather is to holsters what walnut is to rifle stocks--first choice whenever possible, but can be very pricey--especially if the stuff is going to be used hard.

Buckshot
04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
...............Uhmmmmmmmm, holsters? Ah, I have an old Hunter that the Ruger BH 357 and the Ruger BH 30M1 can share. Then I have a no name camo nylon job I bought at one of the last LA gunshows for my Ruger MkII 678, but it's too short for that barrel, so It's in a closet I think.

The Ruger Vaquero goes in a holster I made many years ago for a Colt 3rd model Dragoon I got rid of. Well, it FITS!

The Witness 38 Super doesn't have a holster. Has a nifty reddish color plastic box. Put the extra clips inna pocket with your cigs.

The S&W K38-4 doesn't have a holster either. It stays in a nice plush peestol rug,

The S&W Victory Model has a funky ole leather holster that's a tad short for the bobbed 4" bbl. Someone cut a couple slots in the back so you can put it on your belt, suspenders, or maybe run a string through so you can hang it around your neck.

I don't think I have anymore pistols. If I do I haven't seen them enough to remember them right now.

I'm pretty well set for holsters.

................Buckshot

Char-Gar
04-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I started hanging out at El Paso Saddlery when I lived in El Paso in the mid-80s and got to know Bobby McNellis very well. Bobby is dead now, but I still buy all of my holster from them. His son runs the shop and the quality is still first rate. Their service and delivery time has slipped a little since Bobby passed, but there products are second to none.

Their 1942 shoulder/chest holster is the best and most useful model they make for an outdoorsman. I have nine of them, and over 30 pistols than can be carried in that nine.

For a pants belt holster, I go with their 77 Tortilla or there new Yaqui belt slide.

I have only two non-EPS holster. I have a Kramer pocket holster for my Walther PPK and a Sparks Executive Companion IWB for my SIG P239.

MT Gianni
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I have a couple of Safarilands,grade B +; Hunters, C-; Bianchi x15 shoulder holster, this came with a dan wesson mod 15, fits a S&W k frame and I added a snap at the far end of the leather strap for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. A+; Bianchi ballistic nylon, B- for nylon, Uncle Mikes, D; Galco Leather, A-; Fobus,B- for the intended purpose it's pretty good, just ugly. Worst ever was a balisticloth ferom Cabela's for a scoped 5 1/2" blackhawk. best nylon was an Idaho Leather company for a ruger p-89, It also fit a blackhawk 4 5/8" without slipping. I have never felt comfortable in a high ride holster, others have. I am still looking for a leather holster to fit a 3" Charter Arms bulldog. Gianni.

West Creek
04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
I have a few EPS holsters for my single actions and love'em. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them. I have 3 Duke holsters and the Duke belt as well as an 1879 shoulder holster and a huckleberry rig. Love'em all. Also have a Bianche in the waste band holster for my 1911 that works real well.

I'll say that good lather is well worth the money spent.

C1PNR
04-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I have a couple of Safarilands,grade B +; Hunters, C-; Bianchi x15 shoulder holster, this came with a dan wesson mod 15, fits a S&W k frame and I added a snap at the far end of the leather strap for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. A+; Bianchi ballistic nylon, B- for nylon, Uncle Mikes, D; Galco Leather, A-; Fobus,B- for the intended purpose it's pretty good, just ugly. Worst ever was a balisticloth ferom Cabela's for a scoped 5 1/2" blackhawk. best nylon was an Idaho Leather company for a ruger p-89, It also fit a blackhawk 4 5/8" without slipping. I have never felt comfortable in a high ride holster, others have. I am still looking for a leather holster to fit a 3" Charter Arms bulldog. Gianni.
Give Benton a call at Idaho Leather Company (208.344.2602). He's usually there from 10A to Noon and 2 to 5P. I just had him make a holster for my Detective Special and we talked about one for my Bulldog. He said he modifies a S&W Model 10 style to fit the Charter.

Right now I'm using a holster for the Bulldog that a friend designed and I built. No strap and formed of heavy leather so tight to the shape the gun stays in on friction. Even held upside down and shaken.;-)

Anyway, give him a call. Maybe he can do something for you.