PDA

View Full Version : mold???

chevyiron420
08-19-2009, 01:52 AM
i noticed here that the forum headings use the spelling "mold", and my lyman cast bullet book uses"mould". which is right?

lead Foot
08-19-2009, 02:15 AM
I thought mold was a fungus - you know hangs round the shower and mould is a hollow container into which substance is poured.:coffee:
Lead foot;

BruceB
08-19-2009, 03:23 AM
For many years, I've believed that if it's good enough for Lyman, then it's sure as blazes good enough for me....I spell it "mould". That's how Ideal and Lyman have spelled it for over a hundred years.

Of course, I'm a victim of the Canadian education system, and have to work hard at dropping the un-necessary "u" from words like "neighbour", colour", and a bunch of others. To leave the "u" in "mould" is a struggle indeed.

jawjaboy
08-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I use mould.

44man
08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
My dictionary says both mean the same so it doesn't matter. I drop the U too.

Bret4207
08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I use mould as mold is something found on old bread. I also use grey, but that goes back to Edgar Rice Burroughs......

anachronism
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I use mould as mold is something found on old bread. I also use grey, but that goes back to Edgar Rice Burroughs......

That's spooky. I use "mould" & "grey", for pretty much the same exact reasons. I grew up on old British literature.

Hurricane
08-19-2009, 10:03 AM
The maker can call it whatever they want. I use mould when talking about Ideal or Lyman moulds and mold for the other makers.

blackthorn
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I looked it up as well. Both spellings are right. My background is in the Canadian education system too (what little stuck) and I use mold to describe fungus and mould to describe recepticles for making bullets, fancy jello chunks etc. SO---whatever floats your boat! I could not function without my spell-ckeck.

RugerFan
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
...I use mold to describe fungus and mould to describe recepticles for making bullets...

Ditto

08-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Mould.

parson48
08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
If I spell it "mould", then that's just another letter that I have to track down on this keyboard!
parson48

KCSO
08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
So if I use MOLD that makes me a fun guy?

NVcurmudgeon
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I use "mould" because Col. Townsend Whelen did so in "Why Not Load Your Own?" It was the first serious loading book I ever got hold of and it is still a very useful book. I still find it a very valuable resource even though it was published in 1954.

anachronism
08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
So if I use MOLD that makes me a fun guy?

Groan....

Uncle R.
08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Lyman?
Ideal?
Col Whelen?
Fooey!
What do THEY know?
Mould or Mold?
Either is correct - I have it from no less an authority than The Old Curmedgeon himself...
<
<
<
<
Dean Grennell!
:-D

Dean D.
08-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I've been known to spell it both ways. Depends on how lazy I am at the moment :lol: :roll:

But, then again, I am not and never have been a member of the Gramar Nazi Party. :P :???: :coffee:

I do have it on good authority that someone called "Waksupi" has been known to spell it "mo9ld" [smilie=1: [smilie=1: [smilie=1:

wallenba
08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Wondered about that....

timkelley
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
either/or

Guesser
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
When I'm speaking, of course I say "mould" anyone can see that, but when I'm typing,writing, scribbling, scratching,etc., I use mold, after all the "U" is silent.
SSSSHHHHHHHH! listen---can you smell that?

MakeMineA10mm
08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Yes, mould, like grey, can be spelled either way. (One of the few times in English that you get flexibility and personal choice...)

Personally, I agree with the majority here that mold is something that grows on old bread and around the linoleum in the bathroom, whereas a mould is something that is used to form a shape.

FYI, I like "grey" over gray as well. Don't know if it was because of my rebellious streak, because the US educational system was trying to push the gray spelling when I was in school, or if it is out of love/respect for my grandfather, who had grey eyes, and it said so (spelled with an "e") on his driver's license...

TDC
08-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Mold on even numbered days..... Mould on odd... Moldmould (or Mouldmold) for leap year... and that's final!! ;) :-)

C1PNR
08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Molds are ugly fungus, and I'm allergic to so many of them I've lost track.

Moulds are beautiful, and I'm attracted to them - at least those that I can use to make shapes that fit my barrels.:drinks:

R.C. Hatter
08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
:holysheepI am of the view that "mold" is usually green, hairy, and despicable, therefore, I
use mould, as it pertains to cast boolits.:redneck:

Doble Troble
08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
"Mould" is the Queen's English. Mold is American (and so am I).

Rocky Raab
08-22-2009, 07:15 PM
A dictionary that says mold and mould are the same is a really shoddy dictionary.

A mould is a hollow receptacle used to shape a substance poured or injected into it. A mold is the shaped thing that comes out of a mould, i.e. a plaster mold of a footprint at a crime scene.

Those metal cubes with handles that we use are MOULDS. They produce molded BULLETS.

Calling the wrong thing a mold - or worse yet, a boolit is either an ignorant usage or a silly affectation.

mold maker
08-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Those that have a problem with MOLD and MOULD probably have a hissy fit over CAST BOOLITS, although it's the title of the forum. No where does it say that only the most proper English can be used to convey information on our common interests.
In other words GET A LIFE.

MOLD MAKER

nvbirdman
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
If your mould is turning red it is not mold, it is rust.

Rocky Raab
08-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Have had quite a remarkable life. Also had quite a respectable education.

People who see the wrong terms in black and white, but "know" what they really mean are the people scammers and con artists lick their chops over.

Using proper grammar, punctuation and spelling insures accurate communication. Using slipshod English is like using an unknown alloy, loading over an unknown powder and shooting through a bore of indeterminate diameter - and expecting accuracy.

"But I know what I MEANT to hit!"

59sharps
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I use both mould and mold mostly mould. I use grey at work and they keep telling me to use the other grey. nope its grey to me.

DLCTEX
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I have always used "mould" when shaping objects, mold is a fungus. However I may be guilty of using "mold" when responding to a thread if the originator used that spelling. "Gray" is the spelling I leaned in school (circa 1950's), but tend to spell it "grey" if refering to eye color because that is how it is commonly spelled on overnment documents which is the most common place I see eye color written. I'm not too concerned about it. If you want to get me going, use site and sight wrong. Site is location, sight is visual. Read a newspaper article once in which the writer used the words repeatedly and wrongly every time. No excuse for a journalist to be so ignorant.

Rocky Raab
08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Well stated, Dale.

I find it as humorous as it is ironic that a group of people who are such sticklers about exactitude in everything to do with their hobby can be so slipshod and lax in their communications about it.

I've never read a handloader say that it's perfectly acceptable to use almost the right mould, almost the right sizer, almost the right powder in almost the right amount, load it into almost the right cartridge and fire it in almost the right gun.

Yet, that's analogous to how they write. Most odd.