PDA

View Full Version : SAECO #348 .38 Special DEWC

NuJudge
08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I recently purchased a copy of The Fouling Shot #180, and in it CE Harris writes about this bullet and his technique for loading .38 Specials. Does anyone have any experience with it, and has anyone cast them from a 4-cavity mold? Would anyone care to compare results with this bullet to other Lee and Lyman bullets?

CE Harris likes a gentler origin of rifling than the SAAMI spec, a heavier powder charge than most recommend, lubricating only one lube groove or using a thin coat of LLA or Rooster, and doing something very different with seating and cases.

CE Harris does not size cases for DEWC bullets, he merely deprimes, primes, flares, powder charges and crimps bullets in place with a Lee Factory Crimp die. He seems to be claiming better results than with sized cases.

CDD

Calamity Jake
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I have that Saeco mold in 4 cav and the Lyman.(don't have the Lee) The Saeco out shoots the Lyman hands down in my guns all else being equal. YMMV.

The Saeco has only one lube groove, it's in the center, when size/lubing, lube will get in the bottom crimp groove, there's no stoping it, so is he lubing the bottom crimp groove only?

I have used LLA on both and size/lubed both with 50/50. I always full length size my brass but may try the Harris trick minus the Lee FCD as I don't have one, A taper crimp should do about the same.