PDA

View Full Version : The Peppering Pepperbox

1874Sharps
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
I have had an antique Belgian pepperbox (not an Italian reproduction -- those are pepper-oni-boxes) for several years now and finally decided to give it a try at the range. I know, many of you will cite the low strength of the hammer forged barrels and metal in general, the metallurgical changes in strength that happen over the many decades, etc. For years I have not shot it for these reasons, but I just had to take it out and give it a try. It actually shot quite well and hit several clay pidgeons at 15 yards. That is not bad for a 31 caliber smoothbore with nary a sight, either front or back. Aiming was done by sighting down the four inch barrels and pointing it like a shotgun. Each of the eight barrels screws into a common round "bloc" and so I figured the accuracy would be rather poor. I was wrong. It was quite satisfactory and better than expected. Quite amazing what the old timers of the 1850s were able to do with tools that by today's standards are considered quite crude. The charge used was seven grains of FFFG and the projectile was a 75 grain Lyman pure lead 32 Auto cast boolit. I thought ya'll might enjoy seeing some of the photos.

waksupi
08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Great fun, I'm glad you took it out to shoot. With a modest load as you used, I'm sure no harm will come to you, or the gun!

freedom475
08-18-2009, 11:54 PM
That is Very Cool!...thanks for the pics/glad you shot it, that's what they were made for.:Fire:

Boz330
08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
That is just too cute. That would be a lot of fire power across a card table, especially in those days.

Bob

KCSO
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I have shot Allen and Thurber's and I had fun also not withstanding Mark Twains description in ROUGHING IT. Your charge is a light one and shouldn't hurt the gun at all if you clean it. Those barrels should stand up to 20 grains of FFG and a round ball. You might want to go with the patched ball as the patch will give you a little more grip to keep the ball from moving off the powder. Just wait till you get 2 or 3 barrels going at once!

trooperdan
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I thought the plan was for all barrels to discharge at once; is that not so?

jim4065
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I thought the plan was for all barrels to discharge at once; is that not so?

That would be a volley gun (as used by Harper).

Beautiful pepperbox Sir! Wish I had one just like it. (An x-girlfriend told me that's the way to get around the "Thou Shalt Not Covet...." prohibition. She had interesting ways to evade certain other Commandments.) :mrgreen:

legend
08-20-2009, 03:17 AM
great post,im not sure i would have had the guts.

2shot
08-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Here's me 1841 Allen and Thurber next to my S&W model 60 for a size comparison. A family hand-me-down that is a safe queen now but in full working order and all original. I give you a lot of credit for having the guts to fire yours.

2shot