PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever....?

floodgate
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Years ago, a bike rider named Ed Hertfelder used to write a great column for enduro riders; every now and then he'd run a column made up of "Did you ever...?'s from his readers, like "Did you ever replace a plug and forget to snap the wire back on?; Did you ever borrow a tool with your name already on it?; Did you ever sit down after running a stretch of corduroy road and find your seat had fell off?; Did you ever lay down into a sliding power turn and have your handlebar grip come off?" Etc., etc. I'm sure us "Cast Boolit" types have a bunch of these, so pitch in!

I'll kick off with, "Did you ever try to get a new flintlock running without checking to see if the touch-hole was drilled all the way into the bore, instead of bottoming out in the breech-plug?"

fudgate

bravokilo
04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Did you ever have the hoppers on your shotshell loader get dark and not notice you ran out of powder until AFTER you started shooting them....

BTW- Ed is still around and writing..

http://www.dixiedualsport.com/hertfelder.html

He is also into .22 Silhouette shooting. He has an article in the 1998 Gun Digest.

BK

Edward429451
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Did you ever let your wife/GF shoot your 44 mag and coach her real good on trigger squeeze/sight alingment but forget to tell her to hold on tight...

redneckdan
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Did you ever walk away from the lead pot and come back to find that your reloading stool looked like it had been dipped in a lead pot?

MT Gianni
04-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Did you ever find out that the dropping the hammer with the safety on, in a Model 94 will make a Click loud enough to have a whitetail deer stare straight at you? Gianni.

NVcurmudgeon
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Gianni, I did that with my Marlin 1894 Cowboy first attempted shot out of the box at a range. I'm not one to scream about the "new-fangled" crossbolt safety, but I use it only for unloading, and the tried and true half cock for hunting. I know the limits of my mind for keeping track of multiple safeties.

All, did you ever let a shopless friend set up his loading press on your casting bench? I found out the hard way that my friend was sloppy with primers and lead-plated a 10' ceiling while smelting. It seems that friend John had dropped a couple of primers into one of my WW buckets. After the explosion, i went through the bucket and found the second primer, then put lids on all WW buckets!

fatnhappy
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Did you ever find out that the dropping the hammer with the safety on, in a Model 94 will make a Click loud enough to have a whitetail deer stare straight at you? Gianni.

Even worse, did you ever run across a legal deer while grouse hunting, grab a slug from your belt loop and fire only to have a dud? Yeah me too, only it was a roll of lifesavers in the chamber.

Maineboy
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Did you ever cast boolits while wearing sandals?

trooperdan
04-05-2006, 05:43 PM
FatnHappy, how sweet that must have been for you! That one really got a smile out of me!

trooperdan
04-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Get a .38 flush wadcutter, loaded for a revolver and chamber it in your Colt .38 wad gun...? With your 8 year old son shooting it? Cut a 1/8" slice out of the case right in front of the rim, split the wood grips and stung him pretty bad. That was 17 years ago and I still have that case on the shelf above my loading bench.

KCSO
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Catch somebody charging 38 special cases by dipping them full of Bullseye, and throwing them in the 5 gallon bucket of ammo you spent months loading?