PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Trim Pro Hollow Points

Nora
08-18-2009, 01:45 AM
I've been paying around with the idea of using my Trim Pro as a means of producing low volume hollow points. What I did was simply to seat up a dummy round with a NEI 316-165-GC and drilled the nose out with a 5/32 drill bit. I chose it solely because it was a nice fit in place of the neck pilot. I'm going to shoot a few sometime this week to see how they print on paper.

My thoughts are, if they fly straight what is the best way to determine proper depth for any given application? The boolit in the picture was just drilled to a unintended depth just to see how it would work out.

Thanks in advance

Nora

Hardcast416taylor
08-18-2009, 03:07 AM
I had so-so results on my Forster hollow pointing tools. This looks like an idea for me to try. Thanks for the brain fa*t.Robert

deltaenterprizes
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I would check bullet run out first, if you have a lot of run out ,the hollow point may make accuracy worse because of increased wobble due to imbalance.
It would be great if you could get bullet puller collets to fit the trimmer to center and align the bullet to get a straight and centered cavity.

Echo
08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Centering seems to be the problem, as I see it. The case attaches at the rim, and the rest of the loaded round is unsupported. It would only take a couple of thousandths of runout to really unbalance the boolit. Of course, some sort of steady-rest could be cobbled together...

Marine Sgt 2111
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I have one of the Forster hollow pointing tools. It comes with a bushing that just fits the drill and is tapered on the other end (internally) to center the bullet during the process. I took a 120gr gas checked .32-20 and drilled to within .100" of the base of the bullet. With 10grains of 2400 and bullet weight down to 100 grains, it is a flying hand grenade. I shot a possum with that load at about 80 yards and the exit wound was 3" in diameter. The alloy was 50% pure lead, 50% 92-2-6.

I have read in early Lyman manuals that they recomended filling hollow points with beeswax to enhance expansion (refering to the 457122 bullet). I have yet to try it.

Though one might think that going to within .100" of the base is extreme, I have a picture of a hollow point bullet for .32-20 that used to come from Lyman with a hollow point that was very close to that. Mold number 31133.

For big game hunting most of the hollow point molds run the cavity only to the scraping groove. For what it's worth.:Fire:

beagle
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
.100" is a little thin in the base for my taste. I normally use 1/2 the length of the bullet as hollowpoint depth.

The 31133 is indeed a gem. I've managed to pick up two since I've been casting.

It's definitely a winner in the .32 Mag, the .30 Carbine Ruger and my .32-20 Ruger./beagle

jdgabbard
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I have read in early Lyman manuals that they recomended filling hollow points with beeswax to enhance expansion (refering to the 457122 bullet). I have yet to try it.

I've never heard of that. What time frame was this?

Nora
08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I would check bullet run out first, if you have a lot of run out ,the hollow point may make accuracy worse because of increased wobble due to imbalance.

The total run out for my test piece is .0012