PDA

View Full Version : Holster recommendations please.

Trey45
08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I have a Redhawk 4" 45 Colt I'd like a good utilitarian holster for, prefer leather. I would be mainly using this for carrying out in the swamps and woods behind the house. Not really concerned with a flap, a simple snap will be fine. Belt holster too, a shoulder holster would be useless.
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer, and possibly a model number I should be looking at? I greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

O.S.O.K.
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.epsaddlery.com

Highly recommend them.

I would suggest the #77 trotilla at $66 plain - very comfortable and exellent protection and retaining.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/images/Product/large/72.jpg

I personally would go with brown and do the cross-hatch stamp.

The best quality for the money going IMHO.

scrapcan
08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Ross leather makes a few nice holsters also. about the same price range as mentioned above. and it would be hard to beat an El Paso Saddlery Holster.

BoolitBill
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I too agree with El Paso Saddlery! Look at all their models and choose what you want. I have found that they consistantly deliver excellent quality.

Firebricker
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I bought a Galco for a 4" N frame Smith I think its the Phoenix model it was pricey but worth every penny. It can be worn strong side or cross draw and retention is adjustable. The midway USA catalog has a lot of selection of styles and makers. I've worn the Galco a lot backpacking and hunting very comfortable. FB

longhorn
08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Simply Rugged dot com

LeMat
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Although I mostly use a Simply Rugged pancake for my 4" Redhawk, I often carry it in the above forementioned Galco D.A.O. when up in the mountains on my motorbike. I like the added security of a strap. ;)

I highly recommend Packin' Heat Leather for anything Galco or Bianchi. Good prices and outstanding customer service!

http://store.packinheatleather.com/bgadaoduacou.html

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/LeMat_photos/guns%20for%20forums/Redhawk003.jpg

500MAGdaddy
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it's hard to beat the Galco dual-action for a good solid packin' holster.

45nut
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I would recommend either of our vendor sponsor leather craftsmen, Freedom 475 Wes with 7x Leather or Springfield with Whyte Leatherworks. Both are proven craftsmen, site supporters and will make what YOU want instead of you taking whats available from a catalog. :-)

TDC
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
+1 what 45 nut said... There isn't an option that matches having a holster custom made to your taste for your particular firearm. The vendors on this forum are well known for their quality products and have a continuing stake in protecting their reputations here.

:drinks:

TC

MT Gianni
08-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I have had good luck with the Idaho Leather Company but just bought a Holster from Freedom475 a member here and it looks good. PM him for something, it will be quality.

wonderwolf
08-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I've got a guy, does nice work..He sells them on ebay but is one town over from me.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/All%20guns/DSC01415.jpg

backshot
08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I bought my holster from the Ruger website & I love it! I am fond of thumbsnap holsters so that might be a big part of the attraction. Plus it was only $38! I believe they are made bi COWS in OK. Now if they only made one for my 4" GP100
:drinks:

saz
08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Check out simplyrugged.com. Look into the sourdough pancake, or loaded pancake- the loaded just has 6 cartridge loops on the outside. I have a loaded pancake and that holster is great. I live in Alaska, and that pistol goes EVERYWHERE! I do a lot of blackpowder hunting and it rides in a crossdraw configuration most of the time and you barely notice it is there (4 5/8" .44mag SBH).

wonderwolf
08-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Check out simplyrugged.com. Look into the sourdough pancake, or loaded pancake- the loaded just has 6 cartridge loops on the outside. I have a loaded pancake and that holster is great. I live in Alaska, and that pistol goes EVERYWHERE! I do a lot of blackpowder hunting and it rides in a crossdraw configuration most of the time and you barely notice it is there (4 5/8" .44mag SBH).

+1 for simply rugged, I ordered one of their first holsters years ago for my 629 and I love it. Lives up to its name!

R.C. Hatter
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
:Fire: I have a Sourdough Pancake holster by Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged.com in Wasilla, AK for my S & W M24-3 .44 Special. I'm very well pleased with the quality, workmanship, price, and quick turnaround time. Mr. Leahy is very nice to do business with and my instructions were followed on the holster. The Sourdough Pancake will protect your gun and hold it securely until needed.

Trey45
01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
My Simply Rugged holster came in todays mail, I am very well pleased with it! I ordered the Sourdough Pancake, they included as a bonus the inside out straps! These people are a class act, their email to me indicated it would be apprx 4-6 weeks, here it is, about 8 days later, and I have my holster! HIGH quality leather with a beautifull oxblood finish, perfectly molded to the contours of the Redhawk. No need for a thumb snap, this thing holds the Redhawk very securely on its own. I'm a lifetime customer now, I can't wait to order my next holsters from them! I HIGHLY recommend Simply Rugged holsters to anyone.

wonderwolf
01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
My Simply Rugged holster came in todays mail, I am very well pleased with it! I ordered the Sourdough Pancake, they included as a bonus the inside out straps! These people are a class act, their email to me indicated it would be apprx 4-6 weeks, here it is, about 8 days later, and I have my holster! HIGH quality leather with a beautifull oxblood finish, perfectly molded to the contours of the Redhawk. No need for a thumb snap, this thing holds the Redhawk very securely on its own. I'm a lifetime customer now, I can't wait to order my next holsters from them! I HIGHLY recommend Simply Rugged holsters to anyone.

Sounds great! they really do make a nice holster. You should post some pics when you get a chance

Changeling
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not going to tell you what to get that is a personal thing between you and the holster. I went through the same thing recently, here.

I ended up getting a Galco for all the right reasons. Take your time and check them all out for the revolver you want it for, remember you have to live with it.

Trey45
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm not going to tell you what to get that is a personal thing between you and the holster. I went through the same thing recently, here.

I ended up getting a Galco for all the right reasons. Take your time and check them all out for the revolver you want it for, remember you have to live with it.

Um, yeah, this thread was started august last year, been looking for much longer then that, finally decided on Simply Rugged for the right reasons. Thanks anyhow tho, I guess?

Snyd
01-27-2010, 02:02 AM
I pack mine in a Simply Rugged Pancake. Practically forget it's there. You can get them with a strap but don't really need it. The pancake pancakes it in!

BSkerj
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
I get all my holsters from Ray Cory. He is a retired LEO and has been there and done that. As said above it is nice to get a custom holster handmade for the weapon. His prices are really reasonable. Check out his website at Lobogunleather.com Good Luck!

Trey45
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Pictures requested, here they be. I have to admit it, I really like this holster, makes carrying a heavy gun comfortable. I wish he made speed loader holsters too.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Gun%20Stuff/SimplyRugged1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Gun%20Stuff/SimplyRuggedmakersmark.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Gun%20Stuff/SimplyRugged.jpg
Maybe he does make speed loader holsters and I just didn't see them?