PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good casting article

45nut
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/casting.html

:drinks: :castmine:

Bill*
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
A good read, though I noticed the author recommended using an aluminum saucepan, which has been mentioned here as an unsafe practice. Thanks

DLCTEX
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Obviously a novice caster. I would think a thermometer is much more important than a respirator, but if you are going to set a pot of lead on a burner and leave it on high even when the lead level drops, maybe you need a respirator. The piece is dated as to prices, although his estimates are low even some time ago, and acquiring wheel weights for free. Listed in the safety warnings should be a warning against wearing synthetic clothing. Not a bad read, but very basic.
OK, I reread the article and had missed the disclaimer about being unlearned in the art of casting. Maybe I'm too critical today, but "small amounts of impurities are unimportant"? And he has no idea what fluxing really does. I'm spoiled to the good advice given on this site. I see no place to respond to his writing and hope he never experiences a pot failure as he lifts the pot to pour his ingots.

WILCO
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
It was a good read.

RBak
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
FWIW: Personally, I would him at least a B+ if for nothing more than effort to spread the word.
I'm sure we can all find different things to pick at with the article, but darn few of us can find a lot of fault, outside of personal feelings, with the links he gave for more information.

Russ...

Buckshot
08-21-2009, 11:34 PM
..............There's some worthwhile info there (as elsewhere here on the board to name ONE place :-)), but he's also off track enough (aluminum melting pot?) to need editing if posted here. As Bill and Dale mentioned, the aluminum pot by itself could sure be a disaster for someone.

.............Buckshot

Txcowboy52
05-26-2021, 12:47 PM
First hand knowledge, when it comes to using an aluminum pot. DON'T DO IT !!! I found a big nice aluminum pot at a garage sale , I thought this will be great for making ingots. I used it on my fish cooker a couple of times and made hundreds of ingots. The third time I was making linotype ingots, second pot full, the bottom of the pot gave up !! Luckily I was down to the very bottom when I seen this silver stream running down my fish cooker! As I said I was down to the bottom and didn't lose much, from that point on cast iron pot only for me !!

Char-Gar
05-26-2021, 12:59 PM
A good read, though I noticed the author recommended using an aluminum saucepan, which has been mentioned here as an unsafe practice. Thanks

I did that ONCE in 1971! I didn't do it twice.

Targa
08-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Really good write up with the exception of using an aluminum pot for lead processing….that is just very bad stuff waiting to happen.