PDA

View Full Version : 38 brass question

jballs918
04-04-2006, 02:52 AM
just a quick one for you all, i have some 38 spec with crimp bands in the middle can i still reload these. thanks

jason

Frank46
04-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Jason, If I remember correctly the cases with the crimp located in the middle were origionally were 38 special wadcutter ammo, and yes they are reloadable. Frank

jballs918
04-04-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks frank just wanted to make sure is all

Quantrill
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Are we talking "cannalure" here? I thought the crimp was at the top rim. I load .38 specials with cannalures anywhere on the case. Quantrill

floodgate
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Quantrill, etc.:

Those case cannelures were originally applied to old BP cases when loaded with early smokeless (this was discussed here last month) to keep the bullets from being shoved back into the case in tubular magazines. They also served thereby to "code" for smokeless vs. BP loads. Then, in the '30's, while the original purpose went away with the dropping of factory BP loads, the cannelures were still kept on - especially with the .38 Special target loadings - as "codes" for the various loads and case-wall profiles. Eg,: a cannelure half-way back on the case was a sure indication of a straight-walled case for deep-seated full HB wadcutters; in some cases more cannelures were added (I've seen as many as three on a single case, both straight grooves and "dotted line" ones) for more detailed coding, like PB vs. HB wadcutters, etc., etc. You even saw cannelures with the .44 Magnum cases in the '50's and early '60's - in fact, the first un-cannelured ones I ever saw were Normas, around 1965. Now, they are rarely used, if ever. They won't affect re-loading at all, EXCEPT that their presence on big rifle cases MAY indicate old "balloon-head" cases, and on handgun cases - especially if well back from the case mouth - thinner-walled (and thus weaker) cases than standard. Unless I ran into a "treasure trove" of cannelured cases in really nice shap, I'd probably toss them into the "cigar box" of "curiosa", or section them for study.

floodgate

Four Fingers of Death
04-05-2006, 05:23 AM
I have reloaded and shot a lot of this sort of brass in the past and it didn't work any differently that the plain stuff ( I liked them better as they looked better, but worked fine just the same).

I have a used a swag of Magtec Cowboy Ammo recetly in 44WCF, 44Special and 45Colt. They all have the crimp and they are fine.

Mick.

nighthunter
04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Years ago I had some 38 Special brass that had "the crimp" about half ways up the case. About the third time I had a case seperate at "the crimp" I said never again. Each time the piece of seperated case stuck between the barrel and the cylinder. It was one heck of a thing to deal with and get the piece of brass outta there. If the case has "the crimp" I won't reload it.
Nighthunter

David R
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I just bought about a thousand 38 brass used. Most of it has the mark or canalure or what ever you call it. No problem. I use it. If the cases do split, its the long way. Each brand is different and it makes it easier to sort the brass cause my eyes are not so good.

David