PDA

View Full Version : Lock & load....

NSP64
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
New series on Discovery channel. Recorded on my DVR then watch them when no-ones around :drinks: An episode showcasing the History of the machine gun started out with a guy shooting a civil war musket/miniball. The slow mo film was great to advance 1 frame at a time. The miniball came out of the smoke cloud fishtailing. I give the new show 2 thumbs up!

Bret4207
08-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Gotta love the Gunny!

briang
08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I love that show. Did you see the part when he shot from the Harley, that was cool.

The Double D
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
: An episode showcasing the History of the machine gun started out with a guy shooting a civil war musket/miniball.

Ah Guy!!!! That's Gunny Ermy, and don't you forget it!! OORAH!!! :)

NSP64
08-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I love that show. Did you see the part when he shot from the Harley, that was cool.

Yea! that was the episode on 'The Pistol' It's like a history on guns that's easy to understand. They give you dates and inventors and then they shoot stuff. oorah!

Wayne Smith
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Is "Lock and Load" the name of the show?

fishhawk
08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
yes new shows on friday nights! steve k

mooman76
08-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I believe it's on the history channel here. Fridays also.

BarryinIN
08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I've seen a couple of them on History. Nice to see something on History with a little bit of history in it, by the way.

I like the Gunny, and some of the film/photography work is great. The episode on artillery clearly showed the schockwave when the Civil War Naploean cannon was fired. Nifty.

The bad part is that I have been eyeballing replica cannon online since then (again).

Bret4207
08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I think it's called "Lock and Load with R. Lee Ermey".

Echo
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Lee Ermy acted in a few movies, especially 'Full Metal Jacket'. along with Vince D'Onofrio, who shot him in the film, and who went on to be the 'Bug' in 'Men In Black', and Det Robert Goren in L&A, Criminal Intent).

fishhawk
08-16-2009, 06:03 PM
think his first movie was "the boys in company C" again played a DI steve k

NSP64
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Ooops, my bad. It is on the history channel[smilie=b:

GOPHER SLAYER
08-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Actually he was in quite a few movies. If you get a chance to see Apocalypse Now, look close at the chopper pilot. If I am not mistaken that's our boy.

defib
08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
did you see the recoil effect on his wrist with the 50cal pistol? awesome.

Also the comparison in the ballistic gel with the 38, 45, then 44mag.

BCall
08-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Actually he was in quite a few movies. If you get a chance to see Apocalypse Now, look close at the chopper pilot. If I am not mistaken that's our boy.

You are correct sir. I love the Gunny, and he's been in a bunch of my favorite movies. Apocalypse Now, Seven, Full Metal Jacket, The Frighteners, Toy Story(my kids love it), Saving Silverman, Texas Chansaw Massacre(the remake a few years ago), X-Men 3, and TV appearances from Simpsons to JAG. The man has a hell of a sense of humor that appeals to me, even though most of his stuff is bit parts.

On Lock N Load episode about tanks, when they fired the M18 tank destroyer was fantastic. Gunny lost his helmet from the blast, and the destruction on the car they shot was awesome. Love the show.

theperfessor
08-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Wasn't he in Predator w/Arnold and Carl Weathers too?

BCall
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Wasn't he in Predator w/Arnold and Carl Weathers too?

Nope, Predator came out the same year as Full Metal Jacket, but it did include Jesse "The Body" Ventura with that amazing mini-gun.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey BCALL, us Missouri boys are always right. By the way don't forget Mississippi Burning.

Nora
08-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Yup that's him:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/bio

Wayne Smith
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Yup, 9pm on Friday, History Channel here.

wallenba
08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Saw the episode where he shoots the S&W 500...shook him up a bit! Theres another show I think it was on NATGEO, they toured the Smith & Wesson factory, interesting.

wallenba
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Lee Ermy acted in a few movies, especially 'Full Metal Jacket'. along with Vince D'Onofrio, who shot him in the film, and who went on to be the 'Bug' in 'Men In Black', and Det Robert Goren in L&A, Criminal Intent).

Pretty sure he had a part as a detective in a short lived cop drama on tv too. Qick bio. http://www.rleeermey.com/about.php

mtnman31
10-13-2009, 12:18 AM
The latest episode, all about ammo, had a short bit about casting lead bullets the first few minutes of the show. Not a tutorial, just a few scenes to show how lead round balls can be cast.

I really like the show. It is fun, interesting, and usually pretty accurate.

Thumbcocker
10-13-2009, 08:52 AM
One episonde they were in the Hornaday lab and teh ballastician was explaining how lead bullets couldn't be shot at over 1000 fps or you got bore leading. I have caught a few mistakes but on the whole Gunny is a hoot and it does show shooting in a positive light.

Hardcast416taylor
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Did you catch it last Fri. when showing the rapid reloading of a civil war rifle how the powder after being dumped down the barrel ignited and flamed out before the ball was seated and just about 18" from the re-enactors face!Robert

Throckmorton
10-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Good thing that re-enactor knew NOT to point the muzzle hear his face when dumping powder into a freshly fired barrel !! One little hot ember left over and WHOOOOOOOSH !!!!! fire in the face !!

His show makes me want to go out and shoot up watermelions...until I price the durned things.
FIVE BUCKS APIECE

Great show !

Firebricker
10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
The Gunny is a class act all the way ! What I like is he's not just there for a pay check he loves shooting like the rest of us. I saw him on TV shooting service rifle at Camp Perry.
FB

MakeMineA10mm
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
The latest episode, all about ammo, had a short bit about casting lead bullets the first few minutes of the show. Not a tutorial, just a few scenes to show how lead round balls can be cast.

I really like the show. It is fun, interesting, and usually pretty accurate.

I saw that too and was quite impressed/happy. Maybe Gunny is a member of the silver stream and casts his own boolits???

As far as the Hornady Lab ballistician, I know what you mean, but consider he was probably trying to keep things simplistic (the show only lasts an hour...), and he was probably talking about the pure lead swaged boolits that Hornady sells, in which case, he was right... Gunny mentioned that if you get too fast a velocity, the lead "smears" into the barrel and gums up the works, and that would be true of the pure lead swaged boolits that Hornady sells. They used the point to illustrate a difference between cast and jacketed, which, in it's simplisitc way was accurate.

Now, what if the Outdoor Channel would put on a half-hour or hour show about casting, that could cover the details and nuances of this stuff? THAT would be interesting!! But, heck, at this point, a SEGMENT of a few minutes about reloading on ShootingUSA is about as in-depth as it gets. It's good, but still falls short. (I think Alan Jernigan [I probably murdered the spelling] of RCBS guests on those spots.)

OutHuntn84
10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
You guys forgot his best, or atleast my personal favorite, The Siege of Firebase Gloria! Kinda one of those hard to find and even harder to stop watching. Dont think the man has been in a movie I didn't like.

"There is no doubt in my millitary mind that we are in a deep s__t situation people"
Lee Ermy in The Siege of Firebase Gloria

GRid.1569
10-16-2009, 03:21 PM
...and if you're willing to pay for "Lock 'N' Load" you can download the episodes on iTunes... but only if you have a US store account...

I can't get 'em in the U.K. ( at least not 'til I get a USD itunes gift card next time I'm in Fla. [smilie=1: )

Ken O
10-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Love his shows also. He has the voice that any DI would kill for.

He shot at Camp Perry a couple years ago, I was on commercial row there in one of the venders buildings and he walked in by himself as I was leaving. I told him "great show", he said "thank you sir", and I exited.

I didn't see him there this year.

mtnman31
10-16-2009, 11:10 PM
GRid.1569,
Try bittorrents, I use mininova.com. They are free and I have gotten all the Lock n Load episodes from there. I don't have cable and am lucky if my TV gets turned on once a month. Mininova is a search engine that searches for torrents. Use bittorrent (free program) to download the torrents. There are other sites and downloaders but this is the only one I have personally used. I have not had any problems with viruses or bogus files on mininova like I have had using other file-sharing sites.

If you go to hulu.com you can watch quite a variety of TV shows for free via streaming media. Hulu is completely legitimate.