PDA

View Full Version : Hello Maj Tom

LAH
04-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Are you using the Mini Sizer yet? We want a report..........Creeker

Maj Tom
04-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Are you using the Mini Sizer yet? We want a report..........Creeker
As a matter of fact my Mark VI from Ballisti-cast arrived yesterday. The first thing I did after managing to get it unpacked (they like bubble wrap and lots of tape to hold it) was to call them and inquire where were the rest of the things on the packing slip (THE INSTRUCTIONS!). Well they knew they were left out but didn’t catch it until UPS had the box so they had them in the mail (I hope to see them soon). However, as the saying goes, “Real Men don’t need instructions”. It took me a while to figure out how it functioned and how to adjust everything (not that it needed it). I don’t have pictures yet but should within a day or two (lazy). The hardware is top notch with all threaded fasteners being cap screws and nuts are self locking. The die is easy to remove and replace; just push up on the bottom and it slide right out. I did this to measure where the lube holes are for future reference (three rows). The pusher is held in place with a set screw. The length adjustment is done via a cap screw threaded in the top with a lock nut (make sure that nut is tight). I found that removing the cap screws on the moving components and adding lock tight was required. I find the drop tube of no use as I can drop bullets to be sized into the turret wheel just as easy as I can the drop tube (pictures will help this one). The air cylinder is really nice and makes things a lot easier. The heater has a thermostat that works very well to control the heat. Today I sized and lubed 800 H&G 78’s (215gr LSWC, 45 ACP) they have two small lube grooves. Then I removed the die and blocked the first and last row of holes (small pieces of Q-Tip shaft) and proceeded to adjust the pusher (simple with measurements no trial and error required). I then processed 1600 H&G 34’s (230gr LRN 45 ACP) and finished off the night with 500 H&G 68’s. I'm very pleased so far....I’ll add more when I post a few pictures……..

LAH
04-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Ouote: “Real Men don’t need instructions”

I like the way you take the bull by the horns. Myself, lacking a basic understanding of anything, worked a week with my first Star. HEE HEE

I had no instructions and was very slow in getting the big picture of things. Anyway glad you're up and running. We look forward to more.....Creeker

ktw
04-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Ouote: “Real Men don’t need instructions”

The Instructions are just some other guy's opinion as to how the product might be used.

-ktw

versifier
04-09-2006, 10:17 AM
The problem is that sometimes the some other guy has it right.:mrgreen: But it does help if he speaks English....

Maj Tom
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Overall view. One can see the strength of the handle and linkages. I sized some bullets today with an as cast diameter of .455 Linotype to .452: didn’t encounter any difficulties. I’m looking forward to the book so I have an idea as to how much pressure I can run in the cylinder. It is a trade off between force on the lube and the temperature of the lube. Low pressure and overly warm lube can be a bit messy….http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/takling/MarkVI1.jpg

A look at the turret system with the drop tube installed. When the tube is used the turning of the turret can be difficult depending on the length of the bullet; if it is below the surface of the turret plate the nose of the next bullet catches on the lip.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/takling/MarkVI3.jpg

A look at the turret system without the drop tube installed. This works real slick as I load the turret with my left hand and give it turn and pull the handle with my right. I can really get some rapid results. The temperature control is visible here as well. The thermostat is compressed between the black box and the frame. The heating element slides in a hole in the back. The linkage is stout as is the mechanism for the lube pump just above the wrench. .
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/takling/MarkVI5.jpg

LAH
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
To make best use of the bullet feed you need something to with which to feed it.

http://ourworld.cs.com/BHALSTE/creekerpics/things/Collater.JPG

Maj Tom
04-16-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't believe we are quite that hungry, as of yet…..

:)