PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Dies

burch
08-16-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a Dillon 550 and was wondering if any of the sizing dies will work on my press ? I noticed Lee has `em but wasn`t sure if it`ll work. I can`t afford a luber right now and was trying to get by with something for now.

Burch

RayinNH
08-16-2009, 09:24 AM
No reason the Lee dies shouldn't work, same thread as standard dies 7/8-14...Ray

burch
08-16-2009, 09:27 AM
What about the base or shell plate. How will that work ?

dragonrider
08-16-2009, 09:41 AM
The Lee siizers will not work on a Dillon press for the reason you mentioned, the punch will only fit a standar single station press ram. This is not to say that it can't be made to work on a Dillon, the Lee punch would need to me modified to fit a Dillon shell plate.

burch
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
So if I get a Lee single stage which one will work. That still sounds like a cheap set up.

mroliver77
08-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Any old single stage press will work with the lee sizers. In my opinion you would be better served buying a used Lyman or RCBS. One the other hand everybody should have at least one single stage press. Personally I find it works best for me to have Lee, Lyman, Rcbs and Star sizers on my bench.
Jay

Firebricker
08-16-2009, 10:23 AM
The lee "reloader" model works fine for using there sizers its a small C press costs abought $25 and doesnt take up much space. FB

Doble Troble
08-16-2009, 10:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with Lee's Challenger or Classic Cast presses. The price is right.

Single stage presses are pretty simple.

cajun shooter
08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Burch, As it has been posted, every one needs some type of single stage press. If you have just a few cases to deprime or bell case mouths or seat one bullet to test the way it chambers. The list could go on. Every piece of reloading equipment that goes on your bench will in some way make life easier for you. I would try to find a Lee challenger with the steel toggle's for sizing as at times you need the strength. Even better and I already have a Dillon 550, Lee Challenger, Lee Hand Press ,RCBS Rock Chucker I would buy the Lee Classic Turrent for $95. It can with the removal of one rod be a single stage press or a very good progressive. I'm thinking about adding one to my group of "helpers"

Paulinski
08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree I have Lee Breechlock Challenger Press / RCBS RockChucker / Dillon Square D and 650.

runfiverun
08-16-2009, 06:21 PM
the cheap little lee c- press should size most boolits fine.
i have one i use for my dillon trimmer,pretty neat set up as it is just enough oomph to size and trim at the same time and is out of the way.

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
the little single stage I use for lubing, and bullet pulling with the hornady lever puller.:coffee:[smilie=1: