PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions on using Lee Six Banger Mould.

birddog1520
08-16-2009, 08:08 AM
First off I'd like to thank those that helped me when I asked about a mould for a good 7mm hunting boolit and was advised to get a 7mm soupcan mould from midsouth. That thread just disappeared and I have not been able to find it.

Now for my question, I have never used anything other than a two cavity mould and could use some advice on using the Lee custom 7mm soupcan six banger.

Thanks in advance for your help. :drinks:

Randy, The Birddog.

runfiverun
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
clean it ,wash it,clean it again.
then heat it up,get it hotter,turn up your alloy temp some more.
put some bullplate lube on the top and contact points [but not in the cavities]
start casting and don't let the lead sit and get hard or you might break it instead of the sprues.

Shiloh
08-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Good post above by runfiverun. Especially the cleaning and sprue cutting. I wish LEE would make a solid die-struck sprue cutter linkage rather than cast. I keep a couple of spares on hand.

Read through the link on Speed Casting by Goatlips. Could be info you can use.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36726

Shiloh

Blammer
08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
when I start casting with a 6C, I fill 2 cav the first pour, then 3 the next then 4 the next, etc.... this helps heat the mould quicker and is easier on the sprue cutter.

mooman76
08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
The others are right on the money. The only thing I can add is have everything ready and handy. You sure don't want to finnally get you mould going good and run out of something or need something that will delay you and make you start over. You need a good size pot too or else you will run out of lead just when you get going good.

birddog1520
08-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Those are all great tips , Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated and will hopefully keep me from making lots of mistakes, I'll make enough as it is even with this fantastic advice.

Thanks Again.

Randy, The Birddog.

jdgabbard
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't know if I'd ever be able to run a six cav like you guys. I have a hard enough time keeping my pot fluxed and filled while running a 2 cav. Hats off to you guys who run those 6 bangers.