PDA

View Full Version : How to drive out GPR's rear sight?

Naphtali
08-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I own a GPR muzzleloading rifle on which I've installed a Lyman tang-mounted aperture sight. I want to remove the OEM open rear sight from the barrel. With muzzle AWAY from me, which direction do I drive the open sight out of its dovetail?

Dean D.
08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Left to right. I just got a brand new GPR and a few minutes ago I replaced the funky adjustable site with the provided primitive site.

Dean D.
08-15-2009, 02:15 PM
By the way Naph, I'd be very interested in hearing how that tang sight works out for you. I am a bit leery of the idea of a tang mounted sight on a hooked breach rifle since I remove the barrel to clean it after each shooting session. I worry that my POI might change if the barrel does not settle into the same exact spot every time.

Naphtali
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
By the way Naph, I'd be very interested in hearing how that tang sight works out for you. I am a bit leery of the idea of a tang mounted sight on a hooked breach rifle since I remove the barrel to clean it after each shooting session. I worry that my POI might change if the barrel does not settle into the same exact spot every time. Welcome to my world. I've sealed the wood rigorously. I, too, am interested in its one-shot 75-meter group from a clean rifle.

Maven
08-15-2009, 02:50 PM
For what it's worth, I put a tang site (T/C, ladder type) on my T/C Hawken for use with a .50cal., 1:66 twist Green Mtn. bbl., which I periodically changed out when I wanted to use either of the .45cal. bbls. (I had both the 1:48" twist and the 1:66" twist.) I don't recall ever having to re-establish the zero when I reinstalled the .50cal. bbl., but I also shimmed the wedge tenon on all three so that things remained tight regardless of whether I used the tang site or not.

waksupi
08-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Dean, just couldn't stand to wait any longer on the stock blank, eh?

Addict.

Dean D.
08-15-2009, 03:16 PM
ROFLMAO......You called that one right pardner! Goin thru withdrawls, I wuz.

ENABLER!!!!!!!

fishhawk
08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
good things come to those that wait! can always tell a pilgrim just can't stand the wait! steve k

waksupi
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
For those not in the know, Dean D has been waiting months for his flinter stock to arrive. I went through the same thing last year, took eight months. So, if you plan on building a rifle, order the stock way ahead of time, barrel next, as they can take nearly as long, and the rest of the parts as you can.

Dean had the misfortune of me lending him a flinter for a couple months, and is now in need of a fix.

Hooked him like a big ol' fish!

Naphtali
08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Left to right it was. The sight now resides in my shooting box.