PDA

View Full Version : My Smelting Setup

Cherokee
08-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Just a pic of my smelting set up. Turkey fryer base, plumbers pot for 30 or so lbs and Lyman ingot molds. A little cardboard to keep the splatters off the walkout pad. Basic.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/DCS44256/Reloading/Smelt-01.jpg

The results

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/DCS44256/Reloading/Smelt-04.jpg

xr650
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Looks like a good setup to me.
What does the L on your ingots designate?

Buckshot
08-15-2009, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=Cherokee;637527]Just a pic of my smelting set up. Turkey fryer base, plumbers pot for 30 or so lbs and Lyman ingot molds. A little cardboard to keep the splatters off the walkout pad.

Basic.

[QUOTE]

...........Basic? Got everything there you need, seems to me. If you tried to get fancier all it would be was cosmetics :-) I did bring in a trio of Hula Girls once, but it was very distracting as they kept giggling about my casting uniform ( Campaign hat, jock strap and huraches sandles).

............Buckshot

snaggdit
08-15-2009, 02:48 AM
I did bring in a trio of Hula Girls once, but it was very distracting as they kept giggling about my casting uniform ( Campaign hat, jock strap and huraches sandles).

OK, that left an image in my head I didn't wan't! Setup looks good!

dromia
08-15-2009, 04:57 AM
How come you casting space is so clean? :-D

cajun shooter
08-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Buckshot, That image will stick with me and cause me to laugh all day!! Thanks

Shiloh
08-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Geez Buckshot, Thanks for the visual. It's 7:14 AM on Sat. I know what I would look like
in your casting outfit. It isn't pretty.

Shiloh

Buckshot
08-15-2009, 10:30 PM
.............That's the Voo-Doo part of casting and it seemed that mo-tif worked for me. I think 9.3x62Al wears a Fez with a propeller on top and Bullwinkle the Moose antlers, and a camo tank top that says, "The Tinsel Fairy Sucks", when he gets serious.

..............Buckshot

Dale53
08-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Cherokee;
That's a perfectly practical smelting set up for a LIFETIME of ingot making!

That's almost identical to my set up and I have smelted a couple of thousand pounds with mine (and need to smelt another thousand as soon as things cool off).

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QWinter2009andleadsmelting-1768.jpg

That's my brother (the guy with the strong back:mrgreen:)/

I like these guys (I now have three) to speed up the "ingoting" process as they produce 3.5-5.0 lb ingots. Those are 2" angle iron, about 6" long, that welded up make REALLY nice ingot moulds (thanks to a welder friend of mine). It makes use of scrap lengths of angle iron and can often be found for VERY little (think old bed rails, etc). Note that the mould sides have a bit of "draft" (they slant slightly) that releases the ingot easily.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QIngotmoulds031.jpg

This set up is not terribly expensive but it IS terribly efficient and cost effective. If money was real tight, two casting buddies could go together and and share an outfit (just pick out a buddy with a strong back[smilie=1:).

Dale53

geargnasher
08-16-2009, 01:28 AM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ROTFLMAO!!

Thanks, Buckshot, I'll never be the same!

Gear

Cherokee
08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
xr650 - The L on the ingots means pure lead. I use LINO for linotype, xx% TIN for tin alloys, and for other alloys I use the %'s of Tin/Antimony, such as 2/6 or 5/5, or 2/3. Been uising sharpies to mark the ingots for a very long time. Works for me.

Dale53 - For years I used a plumbers furnace with that pot on top of it but I got so tired of the jet engine noise it created so I went to the turkey fryer that I mail ordered a few years ago based on info someone posted here.

madman
08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I hope it is a fire proof jock. I had some hot frickers down the front and back of the old coveralls from welding overhead and did the quick version of a rain dance no luck though just had to bend forward and back until they burned through the material and fell out. They left neat trails every where they went.

markinalpine
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
..to repair the damage to my eyeballs! They melted just thinking about it, like the Nazi's at the end of Indiana Jones/Lost Ark movie.

...my casting uniform ( Campaign hat, jock strap and huraches sandles).

............Buckshot

Dare you to wear that while frying bacon!

Mark [smilie=1:

Southern Son
08-18-2009, 06:01 AM
I don't understand, Buckshot, why are you wearing a Jockstrap? Is it a safety thing? I go with a wide brim hat rather than the campaign hat, the sun is pretty savage here. What are the huraches sandles?

BruceB
08-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Uhhh, SS, a campaign hat IS a wide-brimmed hat...it's that "Smokey Bear" chapeau worn by the State Troopers in many jurisdictions, as well as the Marine drill instructors of legend.

I like to think that it throws a merciful shadow over at least SOME parts of Buckshot's anatomy ("merciful" to any unfortunate onlookers, that is).

randyrat
08-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I spent an hour one day picking little peices of tinsil off the patio one day, use plenty of cardboard.
Stop at a feedmill or any place they use cardboard slats, they lay down flat and are free. Looks like your set up nice.