PDA

View Full Version : Easy Shrimp Creole

TexRebel
08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
I hope ya all enjoy this as much as i do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
•1 tablespoon vegetable oil
•1 medium onion, chopped
•1 dash cayenne pepper
•1 pinch thyme leaves, crumbled
•2 bay leaves
•6 to 8 green onions, chopped
•1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, undrained
•1 cup chopped celery
•3 ounces tomato paste (about 6 tablespoons)
•1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
•3 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
•2 cloves garlic, chopped
•hot, cooked rice
Preparation:
Heat oil in a heavy skillet; sauté onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, cayenne pepper and bay leaves for a few minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer 15 minutes. Add peeled raw shrimp; simmer 10 minutes. Serve over hot rice.
Serves 6 to 8.

Heavy lead
08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
This Michigan yankee will be cooking this Sunday, thanks for the recipe, looks good.

pmeisel
08-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I can vouch for this recipe as mine is very similar. For a twist, serve with bow tie pasta or egg noodles instead of rice. (if you use egg noodles break them up a little so they aren't as long).

deltaenterprizes
08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
You forgot the flour to make a roux before you add the onions,celery and bell pepper, then add the garlic. The roux adds flavor and thickens the mix.
My grandma was a little Cajun with only 50 years experience cooking when she taught me.
I was born in New Orleans and lived there for 50 years, that is where creole cooking came from.
At least you didn't add jalapeno peppers like one guy did to his"New Orleans " gumbo

cajun shooter
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
You can't just tell some one to add flour and oil to make a roux. The art of roux making is something that is handed down from each generation. You can't walk away from the stove or watch TV. You stir very slow with a cast iron black pot and wooden spoon. The cooking of a true roux with it's many different colors is a art form. You don't use a dark roux for shrimp stew but a light one. The dark roux is for Gumbo only. If you were alive in the sixties they had a cook book come out for cooking Cajun meals. It was titled just like what you are asked when you met some one at that time. Who's your momma? Are you Catholic? Can you make a Roux?

RedFoxy
08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
TexRebel

You ought to be proud of me!! I did try this recipe and it is so easy and simple. The result was YUMMY ..... ask TwoTrees ?

http://i32.tinypic.com/33l338p.jpg

Now to tackle the jambalaya recipe

Redfoxy

pmeisel
08-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Re roux.....

There are variations on this recipe, and some start with roux before the vegetables....

Others add the flour to the fat after the vegetables have sweated a bit (did that with an etouffee last night)....

Other do not use roux at all, but have a thinner sauce, or thicken the sauce at the end with either flour or cornstarch (I often do the cornstarch thing as well -- its a lot quicker if you are in a hurry).

None is the "one true way", all are good.

If you do not have experience making roux, experiment with a meal you can afford to take a little time with and perhaps ruin once while you are getting the hang of it. It's one of those things that takes a little practice to get right.

I personally think of "shrimp creole" as without roux, and with tomatoes, and "shrimp etouffee" as with roux and with no or only a little tomatoes...... just the way I learned.

Redfoxy, that's a good looking plate there.....