PDA

View Full Version : ranch dog???

XWrench3
08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
i have heard and read about ranch dog boolit molds. i tried to find out about them just now via google. it looks like maybe he is going out of business??? the site that came up said ihat after 6-2009, it would be up to lee precision whether they were going to keep producing his molds. any idea what is going on??

Johnch
08-14-2009, 10:31 PM
As I understand it ( and I am sure I don't know but a part of the story )
A few of the reasons for him closing up

The year for delevery of his custom LEE moulds
The LEE moulds not cut to spec that he had to send back
All the $$ he had wraped up in moulds on order , that he expected to get in a few months and were taking close to a year

His wifes health problems

I am just a customer that will miss his quick service

John

XWrench3
08-16-2009, 02:53 AM
well, THAT SUCKS! both the way lee treated him, and his wifes health troubles.

HiVelocity
08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I still have 1 RD mold (not for sale)

I too went through the 5-7 month wait with RD Molds; although it was worth the wait. Most customers were happy with their molds, although many had to go back to Lee for "adjustments".

I'll miss Michael Remy, aka "Ranch Dog"; a true conniseur, gentleman, and expert in the field of mold development. He was always quick to answer every stupid question I ever asked of him. I admire his dedication to his wife and family.

HiVelocity in SC

PS- Post "I Want To Buy" your needs on every casting board. These folks are great for buying, selling, and trading............and LOANING!

1Shirt
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Just a food for thought question, but why don't a whoop of us start e-mailing Lee to produce RD molds as regular production items? I would really like to see at least the 30 cal and 35 cals in reqular production. The 30 shoots real well in all of my 30s, and drops from the mold at 314 so it shoots in my Mosin and Smelly as well. The 35 is the cats whatever for 357 and would suspect for 35 rem, but don't have a 35 Rem, for hunting. Anyway, would be interesting to see how many would pick up on the suggestion. Yep, Michael will be missed! A good guy!
1Shirt!:coffee:

muffinman
08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I believe Michael is still aound, just not in the mold business.

JesterGrin_1
08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
1Shirt Lee has all of the designs and informed Ranch Dog they would produce them but who knows when. They are so far behind now that to make a new mold for a nitch market seems like it may never come about. But who knows maybe in our life time lol.

Ranch Dog Michael was great to deal with and very informative. He is now very busy with the ranch as well as care for his wife and family. But as he said now he will have more time for load development. So I feel he will be back it will just take him some time is all.

And as others have said it is hard to have any kind of business when you can not get a product to sell. And when you do get them have to turn around and return them for not being right.

jdgabbard
08-16-2009, 02:24 PM
You know Ranch Dog gave me one of his .35 molds when he decided to go out of business. I'll have to say, it is one hell of a boolit! It shoots minute of pop can out of my 65 smith, and from what I estimate will take down most critters that come too close. A 190g with a .256 meplat is a devastating thing at 1200 fps.

Junior1942
08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
You know Ranch Dog gave me one of his .35 molds when he decided to go out of business. I'll have to say, it is one hell of a boolit! It shoots minute of pop can out of my 65 smith, and from what I estimate will take down most critters that come too close. A 190g with a .256 meplat is a devastating thing at 1200 fps.Even more so at 1650 fps. Here's through and through of a 13 1/2" diameter log section.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/tc/tc35703t.jpg

qajaq59
08-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Even more so at 1650 fps. Here's through and through of a 13 1/2" diameter log section. Good grief.....

jdgabbard
08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Even more so at 1650 fps. Here's through and through of a 13 1/2" diameter log section.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/tc/tc35703t.jpg

Yeah, but I'm not gonna load it that hot for a hand cannon... If I had a .357 rifle, it'd be one thing...

Btw, Junior. Do you have any data for loading the RD359-190-RF for .38spl +P???

JesterGrin_1
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
You can shoot the same load out of a Pistol but you will not have the same FPS. There really should be no problem shooting it from a Pistol if it is a Ruger or a good strong revolver.

I will shoot a load that is harder in my Ruger than I am able to from my Marlin. But then again I am backwards at times lol. :)

And that load would be the Lee 310Gr with 21.0Gr of H-110 with a LPP WW Brass. But from the Pistol I may use 21.5Gr of the same powder. .44 MAG

The Pistol is a Ruger Superblackhawk Bisley Hunter Stainless in .44 Mag and I LIKE IT lol. :) And yes it does THUMP a bit lol. But in this day and age it is just a little .44 Mag lol.

jdgabbard
08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Mine is a S&W 65... I doubt it would hold at the threads...

JesterGrin_1
08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok you are correct I tend not to put too hot of rounds through any Smith I have. Some say oh it is fine but that is what the RUGER Tank is for lol.

jdgabbard
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Some say oh it is fine but that is what the RUGER Tank is for lol.

That is why I have a SP101 :p

Leftoverdj
08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I would not be too quick to blame Lee. The panic demand of the last year has been beyond anyone's control. They can only make so many moulds, and adding new employees leads to quality problems. Those are just facts of life.

XWrench3
08-17-2009, 07:49 AM
well, IMO, if lee agreed to make molds for a person, contract or not, they shouls stand up to their agreement. if they can not produce molds of their own fast enough, at least fill their own orders, and their contract orders at the same percentage rate (at least be close). to just shove somebody else out of business isn't really right, in anyones eyes. since they have basicly done that, i would sincerly hope that they would at least buy out ranch dogs ideas, and make them a part of their normal line up. i recently bought 2 of lee's "surplus" molds, i have to wonder if at least one of them is not a ranch dog type. the 2 i bought were c tl 309-160-2r, and a tl c-460-350-rf. the latter of the two shoots awesome! the first one, leaves a lot of lead in my glenfiels 30a (bacicly, a marlin 336), it has a micro-groove barrel, so to be honest, i had my doubts about this. i need to load it up and shoot it through my rem 700 and see how it works there before i pass judgement on it.

1Shirt
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Junior, presume this is out of your Rossi Hog Rifle? If so, would you mind sharing your load, and the approximate hardness of your blt.
1Shirt!:coffee:

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
apparently many are not aware of how lee makes his molds.its not just stick it in and go and you cant hire more help whith out having the machines to work on.
and mister thems machines are expensive were not talking of a 10/20,000 mavhine but a 100,000 or more machine.and you cant go from one to next mold except the same style.one of lees single stage is 150 a day and they are 2000 behind.every one is so impatiant,why did you not start reloading a few yrs ago.
because you did not need to.now you all want instant gratification.and cant get it.
what do you think would happen if you all wanted redding presses.none of you would get them.:coffee:[smilie=1:
PS: please relax it will level out in time.and you will be able to pick up presses and molds for a dime a dozen.:coffee:[smilie=1::-D

mdi
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
This is the latest (last?) entry on Ranch dog's site. I've got one of his molds (.432" 265gr.) and I shoot them in my SBH, Contender, and Puma (the reason I got the mold originally was the Puma has a .432" bore). I wish I could get more molds, and I think Ranch Dog gave Lee permission to cut molds to his design.

"Well guys, I'm just about finished up and I'm looking forward to getting back to casting, reloading, shooting and hunting! Please note the follow when ordering:

• All my designs where specifically created for the throat/lead of Marlin rifles. I cannot answer your questions about other applications.
• My inventory consists of only the molds and kits specified on the home page. I will be receiving no more.
• Yes, the TLC379-235-RF must be purchased with the Lube and Size Kit. I've tried to accommodate you with the pricing on this package.
• Due to the limited inventory, I'm no longer accepting snail mail orders. The mold you desire may not be available when your order arrives. You do not need a PayPal account to order, use your credit card.
• All sales will cease on June 30, 2009.

• My forum is out of service. I just can't get a break to maintain it. My web host lost several servers and my material was lost as the backup was on one of the other servers. At this point, I'm not sure what I will do to start up again. I might switch to a different format of support but will get something back up soon. All my web pages are gone but I have the backed up material to restore them. It just takes time.

Fellows, this venture has been a blessing in the friendships it has given me through you, my customers! I appreciate the encouragement you have offered in the course of business through your purchases.

May God bless you and your family!

Ranch Dog
Ranch Dog Molds News "

nonferrous
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Ranch Dog has a very interesting and informative post on the Bryco-Jennings site, regarding loading 135 gr 9mm with a new mold of his design.
Well worth a look.

Leftoverdj
08-18-2009, 02:27 AM
well, IMO, if lee agreed to make molds for a person, contract or not, they shouls stand up to their agreement. if they can not produce molds of their own fast enough, at least fill their own orders, and their contract orders at the same percentage rate (at least be close). to just shove somebody else out of business isn't really right, in anyones eyes. since they have basicly done that, i would sincerly hope that they would at least buy out ranch dogs ideas, and make them a part of their normal line up. i recently bought 2 of lee's "surplus" molds, i have to wonder if at least one of them is not a ranch dog type. the 2 i bought were c tl 309-160-2r, and a tl c-460-350-rf. the latter of the two shoots awesome! the first one, leaves a lot of lead in my glenfiels 30a (bacicly, a marlin 336), it has a micro-groove barrel, so to be honest, i had my doubts about this. i need to load it up and shoot it through my rem 700 and see how it works there before i pass judgement on it.

Why do you assume a contract or any special agreement?

Lee's made moulds for me and for dozens of other posters here. Deal has been the same for all as far as I have heard. Call them up, and they tell you how long it will take. Send them a check and they start the clock. Each order is a new deal. btw, you sign away design rights when you order.

Far as I'm concerned, Lee has done us all a big favor for years. Try getting custom six cavities made anywhere else, and see what it costs you and how long it takes. I ain't whining, and I ain't heard Michael whining. Things changed, and that's just the way it is.

XWrench3
08-18-2009, 10:08 PM
why would i NOT assume a contract? if i were going into business, to sell something that i could not make myself, i would certainly have a contract drawn up to ensure availability of the product i was going to sell, and at what price i would be charged for it. not doing so would be like opening up a retail firearms store, and depending on "gun broker . com" to supply your inventory. you would have no control over what, when, or how much you would have to pay for any given object. i know nothing about ranch dog, personally or business wise. i am not knocking him in any way, shape, or form. i am just getting into casting, read about his molds, and when i tried to find out about them, it seems i was to late, and all i can find out about them is he is out of business. i just want to see what he designed, because from what i have read, he had good stuff. as for signing away any design rights when you have lee make a custom mold for you, that just does not seem right. not legaly, or morally. as for them doing every one a great favor, i dont really know about that. i do not know what a regular machine shop would charge. but, if i really had something, that was really worthwhile, and i signed away any rights to the design when i had lee make it, how much are you going to loose in that trade off? they could potentially make hundreds of thousands of dollars from charging you to do their r&d work.

PatMarlin
08-19-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm sure there will be more group buys coming with Ranch Dogs designs here on the forum.

I'm glad I got a 45 cal and 30 from Michael. I'd like to see the fine print on a LEE contract ..:mrgreen: