PDA

View Full Version : Who can recommend a starter or seater?

jonk
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I have a problem. When I seat my ball in my .45 rifles the brass starter- wood ball top, brass rod coming out of it- badly mars the ball. It gouges into it pretty well. This can't help accuracy.

I was wondering, does anyone make a good starter that won't marr the ball badly?

1Shirt
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Make your own. Try a very hard wood dowl of the right size that fits the ball and fire harden it. Cheap, easy, and they work.
1Shirt!:coffee:

peter nap
08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Make your own. Try a very hard wood dowl of the right size that fits the ball and fire harden it. Cheap, easy, and they work.
1Shirt!:coffee:

I couldn't agree more. Why spend money on something that you can custom fit to your ball and hand....for free.

docone31
08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I had that issue with my R.E.A.L.s. I take a rawhide mallet when I go to the range now.
A couple of taps will do ya.
The nose does get dented, but not any where near as much as when I use a ball starter.

Lead Fred
08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
My Rice swamped barrel is crowned.
Dont even need nor use a short starter

08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Like others, I usually make my own stuff, especially the easy stuff. But the basic wood ball with the very short and short starter rods at right angles in the ball is about the easiest to make and use. One key to not marring the ball face is to use a starter that is the right size and has a tip that matches the curve of the ball. Bullets are more problematic. Basic starters run about $5-6. TOW and other suppliers sell them. I have used several types of starters. The basic wood ball head starter seems to be the most comfortable and seems to keep the rod aligned best as the roundball is seated. Here's a link to the ones TOW has.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(3arp41ergilcfdrvmmnzoame))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=2&subID=23&styleID=55

saz
08-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Here is a link to the one I made a little while ago- might give you some ideas

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=46850

Underclocked
08-16-2009, 12:40 PM
If you happen to be ordering from Midsouth anytime soon, throw a couple of these http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H100 in your cart.

Hanshi
08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I make some of mine as it is impossible to find starters correct for .40 & under. I have a couple bought ones for .45 & up that work fine. If the ball is truly becoming deformed you may be using too tight a ball/patch combo or need a different lube. A ball with a marred front surface shouldn't affect accuracy.

madcaster
08-16-2009, 06:18 PM
If you have a piece of 3/8" ramrod and a .38 or .357 hull,make one,bevel the primer pocket some so as it will not hurt the ball.And make SURE that there is no live primer in that brass FIRST!

cascadehunter
08-19-2009, 03:01 AM
I have a problem. When I seat my ball in my .45 rifles the brass starter- wood ball top, brass rod coming out of it- badly mars the ball. It gouges into it pretty well. This can't help accuracy.

I was wondering, does anyone make a good starter that won't marr the ball badly?

Get a hickory dowel, or other good hardwood dowel and make your own.
I have some I hunt with that are made from antler and hickory, and I drill the antler to also serve as a powder measure. I use a plain wood tip, and use as big a dowel as the barrel will take. If the tip becomes frayed , just cut it off and keep on loading!:castmine:
Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis