PDA

View Full Version : load question for Sig P220ST

Grumpa72
08-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a new (to me) Sig P220ST and I took it to the range today to see how it shoots and I am having some problems feeding. With WWB .45 acp 230 grain FMJ it loads and shoots just fine. I have been casting and loading for a Colt 1911 .45 acp using the H&G 68 clone in lead SWC cast to 200 grains for almost a year without any problems. I tried four different magazines, all Sig branded, and each one would have one or two issues with the SWC bullet not fully seating in the barrel. I nudge from my free hand will allow it to seat.

So, the question is, does anyone cast 200 grain lead SWC for the Sig P220 in .45 acp that has data to share? I have a Sig P226 and it loads and shoots anything and everything with out a single issue in over 18 years. It was my assumption that the 220 should do the same. Do any of you have issues?

Fwiw, I am using Win 231 at 5.3 grains with an OAL of 1.245. How does this compare to your data? In addition, I use a Lee Classic Cast Turret with the four position head and each round goes through the factory crimp die.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Gary

geargnasher
08-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Grumpa, I don't have a sig, but like you I also have a fleet of 1911s that gobble up most everything and never even burp.

You might try a Truncated Cone design with NO SHOULDER and use your .45 acp "factory crimp" die for ballast in your model sailboat instead of trying to manufacture ammunition with it. Use a LIGHT taper crimp.

Only my .02,

Gear

Gear

GabbyM
08-13-2009, 11:22 PM
some 45 acp's have a short throat. Not familiar with Sigs but it sounds like this is your issue. Bullet is hitting rifling before the slide closed.

It's not uncomon to need an O.L. which places the #68's shoulder almost flush with the case mouth.

You can remove your barrel and use it as a gage to set O.L.

geargnasher
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM
some 45 acp's have a short throat. Not familiar with Sigs but it sounds like this is your issue. Bullet is hitting rifling before the slide closed.

It's not uncomon to need an O.L. which places the #68's shoulder almost flush with the case mouth.

You can remove your barrel and use it as a gage to set O.L.

Exactly why I recommend a true tc design with no shoulder to get in the way. Most tc designs have a smaller meplat than the swc which also have the advantage of planing out into the chamber better after pitching up out of the mag than larger meplat flat-nosed boolits like swcs will.

Gear

drobinson
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I have an older model P220 with the folded slide and it has never fed any SWC's . When I first got it I was very discouraged that it would not feed the 200 swc load that I used in my 1911. I also tried 185 grain swc and they would not feed. the empty case would always catch on the ledge of the bullet still in the magazine.

I am now using the lee 230 grain TL 2 ogive radius bullet. they work very well. I stopped trying to use swc as I did not want to loose confidence in this fine pistol.

Grumpa72
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Grumpa, I don't have a sig, but like you I also have a fleet of 1911s that gobble up most everything and never even burp.

You might try a Truncated Cone design with NO SHOULDER and use your .45 acp "factory crimp" die for ballast in your model sailboat instead of trying to manufacture ammunition with it. Use a LIGHT taper crimp.

Only my .02,

Gear

Gear

Thank you for your input. When I get home I will experiment with some different bullet lengths and also try the TC design bullet. Fortunately, I have www.mastercast.net about 45 minutes away for a source.

I am relatively new to casting and reloading (just about a year and perhaps 3000 total in 9mm and .45 acp) but can you elaborate on why you don't like the Lee Factory Crimp Die as well as how do I do a "light taper crimp" if I am using my FCD as ballast? I have read at other sights that folks swear by the FCD when reloading for semi-autos while others take your arguement that it isn't necessary.

Thank you,
Gary

Grumpa72
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
I have an older model P220 with the folded slide and it has never fed any SWC's . When I first got it I was very discouraged that it would not feed the 200 swc load that I used in my 1911. I also tried 185 grain swc and they would not feed. the empty case would always catch on the ledge of the bullet still in the magazine.

I am now using the lee 230 grain TL 2 ogive radius bullet. they work very well. I stopped trying to use swc as I did not want to loose confidence in this fine pistol.

I am happy to hear that you had problems with your P220 and SWC (sounds corny to say I am happy with your problems) and it isn't just me. The 1911 must have conditioned me since it eats anything.

I have seen the Lee TL molds and I am using one of them in my P226 9mm with great success. Once I play with different OALs and can verify what works, or doesn't, I might try their .45 acp TL mold. I think I will also try some from Mastercast since they have a pretty good selection.

9.3X62AL
08-14-2009, 02:43 PM
My P-220s have run all right with the Lyman #452460 and the Lee copy of the H&G #68, but there was a discernable "hiccup" in the slide travel as they fed. If I tried running either boolit in my Glock 21, they would hang up if taper-crimped. If given a very slight roll-crimp in my old-school RCBS seater die, they did the same "hiccup" as the SIGs did, but fed. I have come to use the older seating dies with the roll-crimp shoulder a LOT more than the taper-crimp seater dies with cast boolits.

The Lee 230 grain TC design (and the 9mm and 40/10mm versions) feed like water flows, seated so that just a hint of the boolit sidewall is visible--maybe .005" protrusion. I really like these designs.

Sprue
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I have that exact model (P220ST) and use these boolits. They are cast from RCBS 201-SWC. I learned quickly that I needed a little more powder to cycle the Sig as opposed to the 1911's when I first started loading these.

From my crs memory I think my load is 5 gr Unique , never a FTF, during a Match even.

The 220ST is 100% factory nor have I polished what little ramp is there.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/b6bc4097.jpg