View Full Version : have you experience this with your primer

canuck4570
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
At the range today ad Saeco 196 gr with no gaz check Saeco mould no 301
loaded up with 9.5 gr of trail boss
on the chrono 1055 fps
winchester primer extreme spread was 1050 to 1055
cci primer where 1026 to 1080
my question is did I get a bad batch of cci or they are just like this so so ......
thanks Canuck
by the way 100 yards inside a nickel
200 yards 1 1/2 inche....
was lucky no wind ......
not just one group but many....

felix
08-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Possibly. Assume so, until proven against another lot. No matter, you will find where the situation will be the opposite. Ambient, caliber, case size, boolit, etc. ... felix

Calamity Jake
08-13-2009, 08:52 AM
What Felix said, shoot the same load on a different day or time of day and they may be just the opposite. Plus 44fps spread is pretty dang good.

GLynn41
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
neither of those spreads are bad-- the cci may need some tweaks to make you happier--until we got chrnos we would have never known --some times a larger spread means nothing as the group can still be great--

high standard 40
08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I used to work up loads with a chrono. Haven't used mine for over 15 years. Some of the best groups I've ever shot had a 100fps ES. And I've had some loads with single digit ES shot patterns instead of groups.
Is a low ES good? All things considered, yes it should be. But it is only one number to consider.

mike in co
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
At the range today ad Saeco 196 gr with no gaz check Saeco mould no 301
loaded up with 9.5 gr of trail boss
on the chrono 1055 fps
winchester primer extreme spread was 1050 to 1055
cci primer where 1026 to 1080
my question is did I get a bad batch of cci or they are just like this so so ......
thanks Canuck
by the way 100 yards inside a nickel
200 yards 1 1/2 inche....
was lucky no wind ......
not just one group but many....

no, you just got lucky with the winchesters...i have never seen them do that.

mike in co

runfiverun
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM
with primers and loas it just works that way.
i was shooting fed 210's and win large pistols against each other in a load test they both had es's under 10 but the feds shot better groups, why ? i don't know.
i guess that's why we try different things.
in a different caliber and the same powder load the win's are better.

StarMetal
08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
with primers and loas it just works that way.
i was shooting fed 210's and win large pistols against each other in a load test they both had es's under 10 but the feds shot better groups, why ? i don't know.
i guess that's why we try different things.
in a different caliber and the same powder load the win's are better.

If we quizzed it enough we would eventually solve why, but I can tell you that low ES and SD doesn't always shoot the smallest groups.

Joe

felix
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
It goes back to ignition again. If the acceleration curves are identical between two primers, the location of the maximum lateral force will be at the same location on the barrel. That location would be commensurate in setting up a minimum barrel vibe, or, produce a vibe such that the muzzle is at the location were velocity (directional, mainly) differences are minimized. ... felix

canuck4570
08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I always tough the lest spread you have on a load the better it is for long range shooting
over here we shoot 30 caliber in the sub sonic range and shoot up to 300 yards that is our longest shooting range,
thank you for the info so I hear 40 foot spread is not only normal but good....
thanks Canuck

runfiverun
08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
it's always up to the target as to what is best.
i chase groups around with a few different powders once i establish a velocity window for a rifle.
then throw some primers at it ,and keep chasing things down.
sometimes i can cut groups in half and sometimes not. some rifles are just so-so accurate. that "good load" is all you can get from it, and there just isn't a spectacular load for it.
i then go for consistency over time. and enjoy it for what it does.

Lloyd Smale
08-14-2009, 05:43 AM
could be your firning pin spring is a tad weak. cci cups are a bit harder and need a bit harder primer strike to ignite properly.

canuck4570
08-14-2009, 08:29 AM
I think you got a point there
I reload with a progressive and the cci primer are much harder to seat then the winchester and I have check and behold there is difference in seating depth with the cci and the winchester a much more consistent
so has you said the firing pin strike differently every time
will seat them all manually and repeat the shooting session
Canuck...:killingpc

jdgabbard
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't understand why you guys always worry about the spread. The way I see it, and this is just my opinion, loads should be developed off of accuracy first and the stuff you see on the chrony second. As long as your in the performance level you need for the application, and the accuracy is there, the rest doesn't really mean much. Chronographs should be used AFTER the load is developed to see where it is in all those areas, which as I said before really only tell you things like erratic ignition. Which you'd probably be able to tell anyways in most cases.

canuck4570
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
yes if you are shooting at 100 yards for group spread wont manner
but if you shoot long distance this spread is a killer to group or hitting the target
we shoot subsonic and yes at 100 yards no problem but at 300 or 400 yards yes that far this spread does make a difference
I understand your point of view hope you will see mine

Lloyd Smale
08-15-2009, 05:46 AM
i agree. Ive seen loads with spreads up to 200 fps shoot very well under a 100 yards so if thats all your looking for there probably fine but ive also seen those same loads fall flat on there face out past 200 yards.
yes if you are shooting at 100 yards for group spread wont manner
but if you shoot long distance this spread is a killer to group or hitting the target
we shoot subsonic and yes at 100 yards no problem but at 300 or 400 yards yes that far this spread does make a difference
I understand your point of view hope you will see mine