PDA

View Full Version : Lyman "backwars N" ingot mold?

Hiaboo
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Tell me about them, I read something somewhere that they were made for out of country exports and I have a few and was wondering if they are special or just something to have.

HORNET
08-12-2009, 07:33 PM
As far as I know, Lyman made them that way for a long time, probably until the pattern needed replaced, I've got 3 out in the garage and several other members have mentioned having them.

BarryinIN
08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
100% of mine have it backwards (that would be one). I bought mine used and have no idea when it was made.

shotman
08-13-2009, 03:50 AM
guess you could call Lyman. I heard several years ago that they were a bootleg made by someone else. I had one but it seemed thinner and broke. the last ones I have never had to break

Calamity Jake
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I have 4, made the USA in the early 80's, I don't think Lyman had them made out of country.
There cast iron and produced with a sand mold.

The backwards N is on the patteran that was used to make the sand mold.

montana_charlie
08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I have a few and was wondering if they are special or just something to have.
Yep, they're special.

A couple of years ago, some eBay-er had an ingot with a backward N on it.
We don't even know what kind of lead alloy the ingot was cast from.
He called it 'rare' or 'special' or something...and it sold for a ton of money.

It's probably a much-admired part of somebody's collection of rare and unusual stuff.

I wish I knew who that buyer was because I would like to find a set of inch-type adjustable wrenches.
All of the ones for sale now have metric numbers on the handle...and I need to replace my 12-inch Crescent.

CM

beagle
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Think that ingot mould is Carpetman's favoite. Claims his bullets shoot better out of those ingots./beagle

S.R.Custom
08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Why, is Carpetman left handed?

KYCaster
08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Why, is Carpetman left handed?

Not left handed....BACKWARD!! [smilie=1:

Jerry

08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm left-handed and backwards but the N in my mould is the right way round.

masscaster
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Your supposed to put the N towards the North, so the Earth's polarity affects the molten metal in such a way as to add to the continuity of the metal, thus making for much better projectiles.

: )
masscaster

nvbirdman
08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
The N in my mold is correct, but all the other letters are backwards.

walltube
08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
That "backward" N in question represents a Cyrillic alphabet. Just what letter I have forgotten, been so many years now. The Lyman ingot moulds with the 'reverse' N were made for the Czar's army under contract and supplied with the Schofield .44 Russian cavalry revolver ca. 1870's.

The Czar's puchasing agent-in-charge, Count Noah Kapuska, often suffered severe bouts of dyslexia. Which curiously came about following his consumption of American 'mountain' Bourbon (what we today refer to as "moonshine"). It was during one of many of the good Count's dyslexia attacks that he mistakenly penned an order for 10,000,000 ingot moulds rather than the 1000 so ordered by His Imperial Slavic Majesty.

The original order of 1000 were delivered to Mother Russia, the remaining 9,999,000 ingot moulds were placed in storage somewhere in New Orleans. Locals affectionally reffered to the good Count Kapuska as: "The Noah Count". Legend has it that Noah remained in New Orleans, married a lovely Mulatto woman and settled in an area now known as the Lower Ninth Ward.

With Sincere Levity,

H. von Walltube

Oldtimer
08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Best I remember, got mine in 1970. Backwards on mine too. Bob

Cherokee
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Got mine way back in 70's, backward N

jhrosier
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I got both of mine back in the late 60s.
They are not the same as youse guys.
The Z is backwards and all the other letters are sideways.
Doesn't matter if you read from top to bottom or bottom to top.:redneck:

Jack

GSM
08-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Sell them on Fleabay as a rarity. Don't laugh.

C1PNR
08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
That "backward" N in question represents a Cyrillic alphabet. Just what letter I have forgotten, been so many years now. The Lyman ingot moulds with the 'reverse' N were made for the Czar's army under contract and supplied with the Schofield .44 Russian cavalry revolver ca. 1870's.

The Czar's purchasing agent-in-charge, Count Noah Kapuska, often suffered severe bouts of dyslexia. Which curiously came about following his consumption of American 'mountain' Bourbon (what we today refer to as "moonshine"). It was during one of many of the good Count's dyslexia attacks that he mistakenly penned an order for 10,000,000 ingot moulds rather than the 1000 so ordered by His Imperial Slavic Majesty.

The original order of 1000 were delivered to Mother Russia, the remaining 9,999,000 ingot moulds were placed in storage somewhere in New Orleans. Locals affectionally refereed to the good Count Kapuska as: "The Noah Count". Legend has it that Noah remained in New Orleans, married a lovely Mulatto woman and settled in an area now known as the Lower Ninth Ward.

With Sincere Levity,

H. von Walltube
Um, you have part of the story right, but it wasn't ordered for the .44 Russian. That would make too much sense.

Actually, there were ordered at the same time as the M1891 Mosin Nagant rifles from Remington and Westinghouse. That's right boys and girls, before Westinghouse made Refrigerators they made Rifles!:drinks:
Both Remington and Westinghouse were so swamped with the rifle orders, they asked Ideal to produce the ingot moulds, but on the sly - That's why they were marked with someone elses name.:coffee:

walltube
08-15-2009, 12:54 PM
C1PNR,
Thanks for correcting my Schofield .44 Rus. vs. Westinghouse manufactured M.N. 1891 flub. A quick history lesson there for me.

Ya'll,
I once had a pristine Westinghouse M.N. '91. The workmanship and finish was excellent, blueing surpassing that of many recent commercial offerings. In short, a bit nicer than those lovely Belgian M1889-M'91 Argentines as I remember.

My account of the "Count" is based on a true event. A visitng Russian Count fell all in love with a local Belle at a Mardi Gras 'Krewe of Rex' ball. The song "If Ever I Cease To Love" was composed to honor this auspicious event and remains today the signature music heralding the arrival of Rex, King of Misrule.

In case somebody really needs to know, the Count did not take up residence with a Mulatto chick in lower Ninth Ward. Ya'll knew my Lyman "N" story was mostly tongue in cheek. Didn't Ya? :mrgreen:

Thanks for listening,
Wt.

Gwmed
09-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I have 4 of them, one cast iron ive had for 20 or so years, two new (2years) old that are cast aluminum and all three are backwards

skeettx
09-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello All
Ingots made AT Lyman are correct N
Ingots made by you are backwards N
That way you can tell a Lyman FACTORY lead ingot from a non=Factory ingot
Mike