PDA

View Full Version : Stoegers latest abomination.

Trey45
08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

I'm at a loss for words.........

Uncle R.
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Trey!
<
I needed a laugh - and that one dang near left me wiping off the monitor screen!
<CHEEZ!>

theperfessor
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Not that I would buy one (I have plenty of guns available for home protection) but I can see the usefulness of this thing, especially for use by people with limited training who might be uncomfortable with a pump or auto. "Coach" guns have a long and honorable history. At inside-the-house ranges even a 20 gauge with an ounce of #6s would be an awesome fightstopper.

Dale53
08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
They'll sell a "wagon load" of these guns. Who woulda thunk it?? [smilie=1: A tactical side by side. My oh my!!:groner:

Dale53

sundog
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
marketing gimmick. coach guns are a point and shoot weapon. notice I said 'weapon'. The only 'sporting use' they have is cowboy matches - well maybe some really close quail. that said, I love'm, but can't see the reason to dress them up tactically. better off with a plain jane 97 or ithca 37 with a short barrel.

How-sum-ever, if this is what it takes to have someone prep up to take care of themselves - get after it.

JIMinPHX
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Me + 1 coach gun (loaded) = you had better not rob my place tonight.

A double barrel 12 or 20 bore packs one heck of a punch, especially if you pull both triggers at the same time.

I've been known to hunt deer using slugs in them when I was in a state that was shotgun only. They work just fine & they don't make a lot of rattling noises when you move through the woods with them (like a lot of pump guns do).

Coach guns have their place. I'm not particularly fond of that specific one or it's price tag, but there are others out there that are better deals that I would be happy to own.

Trey45
08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey don't get me wrong, I love coachguns, I own a 20 gauge 2 trigger coachgun myself. I just can't get on board with a "tacticool" coachgun. Just my humble opinion, but a coachgun is supposed to be blued steel and walnut, just like God intended them to be.

gnoahhh
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I like the idea of a short double for defense. A gun with ejectors can lay down a lot of fast repeat shots if necessary. What turns me off on this one are two things: 1) Too much crap hanging out on the end of the barrels. Ruins the balance, when a split second delay in target acquisition may be disastrous. 2) If I were picking a gun to possibly use to defend my life or the lives of my loved ones I wouldn't go with a cheap *** like a Stoeger. I've seen them (along with their O/U's and autoloaders) break too often at the trap and skeet club I shoot at. Why people insist on going the el-cheapo route for a defense weapon is beyond me.

AZ-Stew
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I recall a cartoon I once saw. Someone was selling a Rolls Royce and had a sign stuck in the windshield that said, "4-Sale". An obviously fine English gentleman wearing tweeds and a bowler, carrying a cane, looked at the scene and said, "You should be horsewhipped!"

A double gun with TWO Picatinny rails and a black synthetic stock? :groner: They should be horsewhipped!

Regards,

Stew

Heavy lead
08-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, I'd like to see what that thing would do with a roundball load with a reddot mounted up top. Only I'd much rather have a double trigger, and a wood stock. Or you could go the other way and put a M-4 four position adjustable on it.
If they would just come up with a double barrel pump gun with twin 10 round mags I'd buy it. On second thought make it an auto.

bohokii
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
haa that was funny

they really need to put a verticle grip on the front rail to add to the rediculousness

Firebird
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
You guys need to read the spec's a little closer, it's not a synthetic stock, it's a wood stock painted black. I'm sure you are really relieved to hear that. [smilie=1:

theperfessor
08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I can see the usefulness of a laser and/or flashlight on any tactical weapon that requires two hands to use properly. Not so much use for optical sights.

ronterry
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Anyone notice the usefulness of the fiber optic bead with the Lego's in the way?
...and why is it that only white guys break into homes in advertisements? I'm just saying...

BTW: They already done the tactical lever actions! I forget the forum, but these guys where all over that crap, like it was the second coming! I realized something that day - It's not the product, but how you sale it...

Johnch
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
If they would just come up with a double barrel pump gun with twin 10 round mags I'd buy it. On second thought make it an auto.

Years ago
I was at Second Chance shooting pins

In one event shotguns were used along with other guns , a pistol and a semi auto rifle I believe

A guy joined a left hand and right hand Rem 1100 togeather
1 trigger
And a single pistol griped M16 style stock

Both sides had 8 shot mags and the barrels had been duck billed

You had to clear your table of I believe 8 pins before you could help your partners

From memory
He cleared his table with 2 pulls of the trigger and then finished off the other tables in short order

I personaly like the idea of the scope rail
As I would use the gun with slugs and a red dot in heavy cover for deer

But the other rails are a joke IMO

1 1/4 oz of #2 lead shot at 1330 fps is the first 2 shots in the shotgun next to the bed

John

NSP64
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Now we're talking!!!
Or better yet O/U SxS. 4 barrels. they could call it an X gun:Fire:

Heavy lead
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Now we're talking!!!
Or better yet O/U SxS. 4 barrels. they could call it an X gun:Fire:

With four triggers, so you could pull 'em all at once.:twisted:

nicholst55
08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
They left a few things off. No M4 collapsible stock, no Picatinny rails on the fore end, and no single-point sling connection? I'll pass. :roll:

stubshaft
08-12-2009, 01:44 AM
BAYONET Where the heck is the bayonet? I was at the public range this past Sunday and there was a moron (technical term) with a bayonet on his 22rf rifle on the silly wett side of the range???

Jim
08-12-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm fine with my Benneli pump, thank you very much.

Bret4207
08-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Be a handy truck gun, but it's too ugly for me. I suppose the basic idea is workable, just odd.

WILCO
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd take it out for squirrels as they can be real combative..............

Bill*
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Can't remember where I saw it recently (ad in the back pages of one of the gun rags?) but it was a bayonet on a pistol! I don't know about you, but if my situation ever warranted drawing a gun, I have no intention of closing the gap to get within cutting distance!

44mag1
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I wonder how many self proclaimed "commandos" will be dressing up in fatigues and running around there apartments role playing with one of these things. This is what I think of when I see an ar or ak all dressed up with nowhere to go.

Heavy lead
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I wonder how many self proclaimed "commandos" will be dressing up in fatigues and running around there apartments role playing with one of these things. This is what I think of when I see an ar or ak all dressed up with nowhere to go.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah, how about a paintball look alike!

Jumptrap
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Man, you said a mouthful there.....and I wholeheartedly agree!

I get so sick of the current mind-set.......tactical this and tactical that......and what I absolutely hate more than anything else......is a so called SWAT team. The damned Nazi's used black suited soldiers to aid the Gestapo in their raids upon the citizenry and to me, such use of jackbooted thugs in this country is an abomination.

All this tactical BS is an outgrowth of that.

Cops....festooned in black masks and suits and jackboots, armed to the teeth, knocking down doors, beating hell out of the occupants or shooting them first and then asking questions, goes beyond the peal of Law Enforcement.

It is unbridled intimidation, pure and simple.

I think what bothers me most is; why are the cops...the supposed 'Good Guys' hiding behind masks? Don't tell me it's the Lone Ranger effect or modeled after the Phantom, either...hehe!

I don't care if a bunch of thugs are holed up in a house (which according to the news media instantly becomes a 'compound')......the FBI didn't act like that back when they were after the likes of Dillinger and his ilk. They dressed in suits and ties, carried a badge and a Thompson....and they got the job done.

Law enforcement in this country used to wear the traditional uniform, were instantly recognizable to the general public as to who and what they were and there was no doubt as to who the Good Guys were and who the bad guys were.

I hate it when some dick in control thinks their department needs to deploy jack booted thugs....for any reason.

This in turn, has spawned a cadre of wanna be's and thus.....P.T. Barnum marketing slugs jump on the bandwagon selling all sorts of junk, for which there is no real use.

The likelihood of me ever having to defend my home against an intruder remains quite small and should that ever happen, it shall never be a task that my revolver or bird gun isn't capable of handling.

Houndog
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
You will never hear me dissing a 12 guage short barrelled side by side! That's what I grew up with! I WILL however take exception to all the BS hung on this one, and a single trigger on a side by side is almost sinful! My old grouse gun is a side by side LC Smith with 18' barrels, double triggers, and choked skeet 1 and improved cylinder. Go Grouse hunting with me and you will see why this quick pointing gun gets the job done and why those qualities make it a dandy house gun.

azrednek
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
A flashlight on a home defense gun is nothing more than a target for the bad guy to take aim. On the other hand though, if all the bells and whistles give the good guy confidence and he doesn't mind paying extra for them, its his money. I would be satisfied with one of the cheapie Chinese double barrels that could probably be bought for about half the cost.

lylejb
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
AWWW come on. If the red dot goes on the top rail, and the light goes on the bottom rail, where are we supposed to put the laser????:veryconfu

I agree with the idea of making it simple for someone with little experiance to use, that's why it has a single trigger, not a double like the rest of them.

but all that craptical junk has got to go....

LB

Gee_Wizz01
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
It still needs a pair of flash suppressors, maybe a pistol grip on the fore end rail, ammo carriers on the stock and tactical sling! Or maybe you could get a double lock breaching muzzle device! [smilie=1:

G

acemedic13
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
It looks like a "Swiss Army" coach gun! It needs a cd player, and a corkscrew.

nicholst55
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
It looks like a "Swiss Army" coach gun! It needs a cd player, and a corkscrew.

Don't forget the cup holder...

SharpsShooter
08-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! ........a proper double must have walnut, steel and hammers, coach gun or not.......

SS

shooterg
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
So, turn it into a double barreled .45-70 or larger rifle and it might be interesting

stubshaft
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
A flashlight on a home defense gun is nothing more than a target for the bad guy to take aim. On the other hand though, if all the bells and whistles give the good guy confidence and he doesn't mind paying extra for them, its his money. I would be satisfied with one of the cheapie Chinese double barrels that could probably be bought for about half the cost.

I wonder how much of the flashlight will be left after the recoil of the first shot?

AZ-Stew
08-12-2009, 10:48 PM
You guys need to read the spec's a little closer, it's not a synthetic stock, it's a wood stock painted black. I'm sure you are really relieved to hear that. [smilie=1:

Highly figured, black painted, Circasian hardwood. Adds that exquisite touch of Trailer Park.

Regards,

Stew

Heavy lead
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Highly figured, black painted, Circasian hardwood. Adds that exquisite touch of Trailer Park.

Regards,

Stew

Suppose we could get a mural of our own "Booleaute" on the buttstock.

Ron.D
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm not a fan of Stoeger. Owned one once and that was enough. As far as a double 12 ga. for self defence is concerned. If I knew I had 60 secs. to prepare myself for short range defence. There's a 12 ga. Citori superlight that'd be in my hands. With 000 in the chambers. No short stroking an action when a serious case of nerves show up unexpectedly. Ron.D

wallenba
08-13-2009, 07:15 AM
What's next? A tactical TC Contender?

44mag1
08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
What's next? A tactical TC Contender?

maybe this

Heavy lead
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
maybe this

Now there is an assault weapon a liberal could love!

crabo
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Clint Smith's version of this is to use a piece of inner tube to hold the flash light on the coach gun. He did an article on using the guns you already have for self and home defense.

watkibe
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh be charitable guys, its not a real coach gun, it doesn't have exposed hammers ! It could be worse I guess, somewhere I saw a tactical Handi Rifle.
People who want to carry weapons that look like that should be in the outfit where they belong: with my son in the US Army in Iraq. I guess its easier to buy all the gadgets than to go in harm's way.

bootsnthejeep
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I was going to mention the Clint Smith thing with the flashlight. I have a flashlight taped to the end of my 870, cheaper than a "tactical" light, and its made it real nice for tracking down critters in the backyard in the middle of the night when all hell was breaking loose in my neighbors chicken coop! Eyes light up, pull the trigger, you own em. Really lights up a hallway in the middle of the night too.

And up until recently, I had the flashlight taped under MY Stoeger coach gun that used to live by the bed, until I traded it the Old Man. But I have a BIBLICAL loathing for guns dripping with picatinny rail and bristling with accoutrements. How do you carry enough batteries to run all that stuff?

dukenukum
08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
They must have hired Gunkid for that idea. looks like something he would dream up.:mrgreen:

MtGun44
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I think for inexperienced shooters, if you leave off the optic on top, it is about right.

Not difficult to understand the functioning, powerful enough to be effective inside a house or
yard, easy to use at night with the light, not too much recoil.

And probably pretty affordable.

For a certain segment of the population, an excellent self defense TOOL. Not a work of
art in blued steel and walnut, a tool to save someone's life.

Bill

S.R.Custom
08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes sir. Everything about this gun says "Yeah, I'm a tool."

Cactus Farmer
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a Rossi 20" HAMMER gun that I use around the cactus farm often. A scope is not necessary IMHO but a long forcing cone is heplfull in taming recoil and makes for much inproved patterns. Crows at 60 steps are toast with 1 1/4 oz of
6's over 36 grns of Blue Dot. Just don't shoot at night though............Reminds me of the muzzle flash from Iowa class 16" guns.

One fellow saw me drop a dove at 40+ yards and said"If I haden't seen it with my own eyes..........". These newly made guns are made with chokes unlike the old coach guns that were long guns sawed off for stagecoach use. Mine is marked ipm and mod but after the reaming and polishing it shoots a bit tighter than that.
That fact makes it a little tough to shoot skeet.......Anyone got another set of barrels that I could fit to make a two barrel set?

beemer
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
The hunters in Africa used a double for several reasons, they were reliable, simple. I don't care for the stuff hanging on the barrel but the basic shotgun will work. Think about this, you are not a gun person but you still want to defend yourself. You are scared silly because someone broke into your house. No bells and whistles, a safety and one trigger, you don't get any simpler than that. It is also easy to clean, load and is not ammo sensitive. It would not be my first choice but I would be far from unarmed.

We had a family friend that lived in San Francisco. He was not into firearms but was far from against them. He didn't know anyone to advise him on what to buy so he started looking. He chose a 12 ga. double, a cleaning kit and a box of bird shot. He said the double looked simple to operate and clean.

beemer

wallenba
08-14-2009, 12:32 PM
maybe this

Please tell me you doctored the photo?!! They can't be serious! :-D

jonk
08-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I use a double barrel coach gun with open choke for defense in my home. 1 barrel 00 buck, the other #4 shot.

That's like pimping out a Yugo though.

44mag1
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Please tell me you doctored the photo?!! They can't be serious! :-D

http://www.gunaccessories.com/ShotgunStocks/index.asp

Check it out for yourself.

Geraldo
08-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes sir. Everything about this gun says "Yeah, I'm a tool."

:lol: :drinks: