PDA

View Full Version : Weighing a charge

docone31
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I have these two flasks.
One is black, and throws 20gns. One is a CVA brass one and throws 30gns.
I have a Navy Steel Frame .44. It calls for 28gns. I am presumeing that is a "safe" load under actual capability. I also have a Walker that calls for a comfortable 40gns.
If, I modify my brass flask, how do I weigh the charge?
I have always been told it is by volume, not weight.
I also use Pyrodex P.
Any insight here?

08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Haven't used pyro for a looong time but I think I remember that Hodgdon has always said to use it on a volume to volume basis with blackpowder. If your Walker data says..."40 grs of black".... then the way to do it would be to weigh 40 grs of black. That will yield a certain volume. Then use that volume for the pyro. If the data says.... "40 grs of pyro".... then weigh 40 grs of pyro and use that volume. That has always caused confusion and in an effort to make the use of pyro "easier" for the masses and as a marketing gimmick Hodgdon did the volume to volume thing instead of just listing black and pyro data separately and giving the appropriate weight for each. Be sure of the data and method of translation because pyro will yield more pressure than black on a weight to weight basis. Their densities are different.

Dean D.
08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Doc, I make my own measures out of copper pipe with an end cap soldered on. If you need a measure for your Walker dump 2 of your 20gr. measures into the copper pipe, mark it at the powder level and cut it off. Viola.

HWooldridge
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
BP and Pyro are both thrown by volume - and I have modified several flasks by solf soldering a piece of 3/8 copper pipe or an empty 45-70 case onto a spare threaded brass thimble that fit the flask in question. I cut them long and then adjust until I get the charge I'm aiming for. The easiest way I've found to check a tip is to use one of those adjustable brass BP measures that max out at 120 grs. You can compare your homemade tip to the factory version and get a very good approximation of what volume is being thrown.

docone31
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Well, now that I got a brass flask, with screw on spouts, I do plan on makeing a few of them.
I guess what I am more asking, is if anyone has fired 30gns in either an Army, or Navy, .44 steel frame.
I am still acquireing components for our smoke loaders. I have an adjustable measure, but it starts at 60gns. Good for the smokepoles, but vastly inadequate for pistols.
I just do not want to overstress the frame. It is rated casually for 28gns, I am fairly certain, 2 more gns is not that much of a biggee.
My Walker at 60gns is quite comfortable to shoot. My wife has fired a full cylinder and hit at 100yds. She can hit at that range with the Walker, while her LadySmith has some real issues. She can lob them out there, but she can hit with the Walker.

shunka
08-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I guess what I am more asking, is if anyone has fired 30gns in either an Army, or Navy, .44 steel frame. I just do not want to overstress the frame. It is rated casually for 28gns, I am fairly certain, 2 more gns is not that much of a biggee.

Greetings -
no worries on 30 gr load in a steel .44 navy. You can fit and safely shoot more.
I have steel frame .44 navies and I use FFFg and and Pyro P with a 30 gr spout, that's all I load and no problems at all, except from the CAS gamers who think I make too much smoke and boom :-) . However they seem to think I ought to knock it back to 20 gr or even 15 gr [smilie=1:

FYI you can use a .45 colt case filled to the brim and it throws almost exactly 40 gr of FFFg or Pyro P.

hope this helps
shunka

northmn
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
In a modern BP pistol you can load until the ball or bullet just clears the barrel when you cock it and it should be safe. I have made BP measures much as described, by weighing and checking against the volume. A BP measure is not all that accurate as to weight as 2f and 3f weigh differently and I suppose the same could be said about different brands of BP. I set my adjustable measures to weight. Pyro and 777 are to be used at equal volume to BP. I tried 777 in a revolver filled to max, but was not all that impressed by its performance.

Northmn

pietro
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I've never weighed any BP charges, since I first started shooting them in the late -60's, nor Pyro when it was introduced later - BP shooting not being what I'd call an exacting sport.

I learned to throw them by volume only - at first using the Lee Dipper set, then filling different brass cartridge cases (with handles soldered on) as suited the BP caliber.

mooman76
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
You can buy the brass spouts for the plask in different sizes fairly cheap so you have interchangable tips. I bought a few larger ones so I could custom cut them to whatever size I wanted. I bought a brass framed CVA Navey 36 caliber from a friend that had a frame loosened up with the idea of fixing it. Anyway I asked him how much powder he loaded in it and he said he just filled the cyl to the top and pressed the ball in.

HWooldridge
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I shoot 32 gr FFFG in my steel frame 1860 Army with no problems. I figured the best place for a ball was the shortest jump to the forcing cone, so I dropped in the most powder it would hold along with a greased felt wad under the ball. I kept going until I could just seat the ball below the chamber mouth with quite a bit of compression. This is actually a more accurate load than some of the lighter ones I've tried.

IHMSA
09-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I use once fired brass cases of several different calibers to measure my powders.
You can cut to size and smooth edges as needed to get any charge you like.