PDA

View Full Version : Do you know this guy?

Trey45
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
He's the guy at whatever range you go to who tries to take every piece of brass he can find, even YOURS! I'm just wondering if you guys have one of those too.

crabo
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I think some of those guys are on this site.

cheese1566
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Yep, I know him too!

I once took my homebrew steel plate falling rack target to the range and one guy, must be his brother, asked if I was going to leave it there for him to use after I was gone!

The nerve!

iron mule
08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
yep i know him and his twin brother /// when we cowboy shoot i am the only person that shoots 38=40 caliber and at least half my brass disappears each match // even caught him taking them one time and he tried to claim them as his 44-40 brass he forgot he was shooting 38s that day/// wonder where they come from //// would like for them to go back there

Matt_G
08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I used to shoot at a trap range that considered all hulls that hit the ground their property.
If you didn't pick them up immediately (as in before leaving each station) they were theirs.
They had it posted in the firing line rules in big bold letters.
If you tried to pick up your empties a few minutes after shooting, they would get real nasty about it.

Recluse
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Had one like that not too long ago at my regular shooting spot. Nobody had seen him before.

I had swept up my small pile of .45 ACP empties and had it next to my brass bag at my feet. This numbnuts is skulking along the floor like a retarded crab and actually started picking my brass up and putting it in his bag.

Next time his hand hit the floor, I stepped on it--hard--with my cowboy boot. There were other people shooting, so I had to mouth the words, "MY brass, a--hole." Far as I was concerned, he wasn't nothing but a damned brazen thief.

Range owner ran the scumbag off after his third or fourth visit. Lot of regulars were threatening to shoot him next time they caught him trying to steal their brass, and I don't think they were kidding. A fellow that will steal your brass right under your eyes would have no problem helping himself to the contents of your gun/range bag.

:coffee:

mag44uk
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Rest easy guys...hes on holiday.
He was on my range,here in the UK,this morning!
Tony

GP100man
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
good friend & small gunshop owner had 2 5gal buckets some what established "range brass" buckets & some one politely unburdened him from having to sort through em .

it`s only gonna get worse!!:(:(

Sonoma2k2
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
yeah i have seen his whole family before guys. was at the public outdoor range when they showed up in their old chevy cav. They even had the grandbaby in on the action as she could crawl real low except for the stinky. The older guy was like "yeah we reload for everything" hell i think they even picked up the 22lr. If it was a centerfire you better believe they were tracking it with their eyes.

mooman76
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't shoot at regular ranges very often but do occationally and I do pick up brass. I do only pick up what is left behind and would ask before picking up someone elses before attempting to do so. I do shoot in the desert allot though and pick up allot (or used to)of discarded brass they leave behind or at least used to. That don't tend to leave much behind now adays where I shoot except for the real common brass I don't want. To me taking someone elses brass unless left behind or given permission to is the same as stealing.

BarryinIN
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
He shoots IDPA and IPSC at one the same places I do.
He never arrives in time to help set-up, nor is able to help tear-down, yet can beat brass to the ground.

BarryinIN
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh, and I met his wife several years ago.
She was walking ahead of the firing line while people were still shooting to pick up brass for her husband. I said something about it, but she said the noise didn't bother her.

jhrosier
08-09-2009, 02:42 PM
If I see someone eyeing my fired cases, I will tell them to leave them alone as I handload.
I've seldom had to tell anyone twice.

Only had one case stolen and that was while I was downrange and it was took right out of the box on my bench. It was a 7.5 swiss and I only had 40 rounds of brass so I was more than a little annoyed but never saw who did it.

If someone that I don't know is shooting and not picking up their brass, I tell them that I will pick them up if they are not reloading. Lots of folks will pick the brass up and bring it to me once they know that I'm interested.
There are enough folks who roll their own that brass never sees the sunset, except 40 S&W. There is just so darn much of it that a lot of us don't bother with it anymore.

Jack

44mag1
08-09-2009, 02:43 PM
He's my cousin. He's so bad that when we pull up to shoot somewhere and we see brass on the ground, he gets out and shuts the door on you to get that extra few second edge on anyone else, he's also the guy at the gun show that offers a rediculous price to people and scoffs them when they say no. His typical response is " do I at least get lube for that price" It can be embarrasing to go to the shows with him.

HWooldridge
08-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Brass scrap $ was so high last year that I'd bet many of your "vacuum cleaners" were taking it to the salvage yard. It was bringing $3-4 a lb for a while and was better than aluminum cans.

Trey45
08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
That guy sure gets around!

Heavy lead
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I was laying prone on our 200 yard range last year shooting my AR, I thought all alone, some DA drove up, never heard him and out of the corner of my eye I caught the SOB picking up my fired brass, hot out of the rifle. Let's just say he left real quick and dropped my brass.

EMC45
08-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I go to a WMA rang on occasion and there is a guy there who picks up your brass with a long yard tool squeeze type thing. My buddy was shooting a .380 once and this guy was getting each piece of brass as it was ejected from his Bersa. He gets out of his truck and immediately starts looking for brass. I told him flat out one time that I reload and I'll be taking my brass with me. He looked like I slapped his mom! He will get every bit of brass he can. He appears to be about 90 years old and chain smokes Marlboro Reds. Used to be able to get brass at this WMA buy the WalMart bag full. Not anymore. I usually ask if the guys to my left or right reload. And if it is "no" they usually bring me all their brass.

Thumbcocker
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Next time his hand hit the floor, I stepped on it--hard--with my cowboy boot. There were other people shooting, so I had to mouth the words, "MY brass, a--hole." Far as I was concerned, he wasn't nothing but a damned brazen thief

Recluse: Ill tempered or not , you sir are my kind of people. I would be glad to treat you to a backstrap kabob anytime.

Gee_Wizz01
08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
A couple of years ago I was at the range shooting my 9mm Mak and a guy was picking up my brass, I politely told him it was mine and he called me a liar. He showed me a piece in his hand and said see its 9mm luger! That was what the head stamp said anyway, but I had trimmed some of my well worn 9mm luger to Mak length, and painted the heads red with a magic marker. All of the brass in his hand had red heads! I hope he had fun reloading it. I talked to the range officer about it and he said he had thrown the guy out twice in the same week.

G

runnin lead
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
This makes me appreciate the people I shoot with even more.Someone I shoot with had to leave early for a wedding, we push him through & got him on his way, he left about 15 Starline 45-70 , I tossed them in the tumbler with my RP's & gave them to him at the next match . It shure is nice to shoot withh a great bunch of people who look out for each other & would do the same for me!

GOPHER SLAYER
08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
The range we had until closed by demon developer had so much brass that the range sold it for scrap. 223,45,9mm &38spl brass had to be swept aside so you could secure a place to stand. I was suprised how few people who attended that range reloaded their ammo. I would only pick up the rimmed cases,pistol or rifle. You can only store so much.

Johnch
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
At the indoor range I am a member of
We had a guy go so far as to bring in a push broom with a extra long handle

He started to sweep all the brass back from in front of the shooting stalls
And he was starting to fill up his bucket

First time he tryed it
The range master kicked him out

Second time he showed up was for a Monday night leauge shoot
I was the range master that night
So as soon as I saw him start
I made him leave

I guess he returned 1 more time
He picked up a few hundred 50 AE cases off the ground and out of a shooting bag on the floor
Along with all the other brass the guys hadn't picked up yeat

As I understand it
The guy shooting the 50 AE was a police officer and arested him on the spot for stealing his brass

Not sure how it all ended up

But I know he was kicked out and band from every range I know of

John

briang
08-09-2009, 11:59 PM
The one at my range has gotten lazy, he's hung up buckets marked "brass for range repair". I talked to the owner, he's never seen a penny from the guy. I no longer have any qualms taking brass out of those buckets.

bullshot
08-10-2009, 07:21 AM
This guy must be a member of our club. We have 5 gal buckets to collect unwanted brass so its not left on the range. This guy dumps out the bucket, takes the brass and leaves the aluminum and steel cases on the ground.

armyrat1970
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
So far I have never meet that guy at any of the ranges I have shot at. If I do I will probably act somewhat like Recluse. Maybe a swift kick to the head also. Just a thief and a scronging dog to me. I am very courteous when at the range and will ask the guys in the booths next to me if they are going to save their fired cases because I handload and if they don't want them I would like to have them. If they say go for it I go for it. If they handload I make sure I stay away from their stuff even going so far as if one of their fired cases falls around me I will pick it up and toss it over to them. Many don't handload and are willing to let you have them. When I pick up my owned fired cases I check the headstamp. If it's not mine I leave it alone. Shooters and handloaders are in general very good people but you may always have that one butthead out there that ruins your otherwise great day.

leadeye
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
I've never seen that guy where I shoot, but then I don't see anybody unless they are invited. I think the weeds have collected most of mine, maybe I should look at a metal detector.:-D

WILCO
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
It can be embarrasing to go to the shows with him.

I used to have problems like that, but then I started associating with a better "class" of people. :coffee:

1Shirt
08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Knock on wood, but I have never had that problem at our renge. If there is no one on the range, and there is spent brass on the ground, I consider it fair game. Or if there is someone on the range shooting factory ammo and in the course of conversation asks if I want the brass, I will always take it. There would be serious problems with me if someone were picking up my brass and pocketing same. Guess we are kind of lucky here, but I think range courtisy a bit of common sense and politeness must be the key. Then again we are not as heavily populated a state as some, and think that most of us on the range talk with each other. Sort of a down home thing. Doesn't seem to be that much of the down home thing in a lot of the other areas.:coffee:
1Shirt!:coffee:

Echo
08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
It seems to me that most folks that shoot at our (county, not private) range do not reload, and thus leave their brass. The range collects it, and sells it to the recycler. Us volunteers are NOT allowed to cherry-pick. We can only remove brass that we brought and shot ourselves.

Or any brass that a shooter (who doesn't reload) might give us...

jlchucker
08-10-2009, 02:36 PM
This guy used to be at our range, but his various illnesses finally caught up with him and he died. Un-mourned! He used to be there every day. Besides his brass collecting, he also offered gun-handling advice to anyone who came there to shoot, even though his knowledge of the subject could be very generously described as limited. Maybe his spirit exists at other ranges now. At ours, he's been replaced by the world's greatest ex-cop, who commandeers our range with his Customs and Immigration students from the nearby port-of-entry. Now we don't have a brass collector, but we do have Massad Ayoob Junior and Dirty Harry, all rolled into one.

44mag1
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
On a different note, I have a friend who snubs his nose at range brass and wont use anything but new. he's so anal that if he drops a bullet or primer while loading he throws it out.

Lead Fred
08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
We belong to a private range. Its a higher class of lead slingers

higgins
08-10-2009, 03:48 PM
A range selling brass to a recycler without sorting through it first is a waste, especially now that scrap prices are lower and some brass for reloading is higher. If I were an enterprising club member with some time on my hands, I would consider offering to pay the club the current scrap price then sort through it and sell the reloadable cases to individuals or commercial reloaders at a profit and send the non-reloadable stuff to the scrap yard.

Firebricker
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
wow its amazing how bold these low lifes can be !!!

Recluse, Way to go !!! That is a perfect example of "Let the Punishment fit the Crime"
FB

dukenukum
08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
This guy must be a member of our club. We have 5 gal buckets to collect unwanted brass so its not left on the range. This guy dumps out the bucket, takes the brass and leaves the aluminum and steel cases on the ground.

My range robber even stole our buckets and range repair materials :-(

Southern Son
08-11-2009, 06:06 AM
I have never encountered this on any Ozzy ranges. Our range scum come in on days when there is no-one else there and then shoot the crap out of everything. I got to hate the SKS and SKK before they were pretty much eliminated. I know they were really cheap and so was the ammo and that let some guys what did not have a lot of money get started in shooting (I had a mate who was an apprentice and that was all he could afford for a couple of years), but they also got bought by buttheads who would go onto a pistol range and shoot the falling plates and pepper poppers, etc. After that FMJ crap hit them they all either had a hole right through, or worse, a deep crater that would then shoot boolit fragments back at everyone untill someone could hammer them flat and weld them up. Then there is the fool who shot at the flag pole on one range. He just kept going at it untill the pole fell over. I would love to have caught some of those d!&kheads and charged them.

wallenba
08-11-2009, 07:58 AM
He sometimes shoots across lanes at my target too, because he can't wait for the buzzer to walk downrange to hang his own. And does'nt understand why I care.

WILCO
08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
This guy used to be at our range, but his various illnesses finally caught up with him and he died.

:drinks:

Freightman
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
He sometimes shoots across lanes at my target too, because he can't wait for the buzzer to walk downrange to hang his own. And does'nt understand why I care.
That will get you banned from our range "FAST"

armyrat1970
08-12-2009, 07:02 AM
That will get you banned from our range "FAST"

Not only banned but he would have a heated encounter before he was thrown out. That is stupid and childish and has no place at a shooting range. That's why I wish more private ranges were in my area where you have to be a member. We have some indoor but with my old eye sight I shoot better outdoors. But outdoor, public ranges, expose you to a lot of stupid people.

Down South
08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I’ll pick up brass left behind and I find very little of that. Never would I dream of picking up someone’s brass that is shooting. If they leave the range with the brass on the ground then I can assume that they don’t want it. If it’s not what I’m reloading for then I don’t pick it up. I’ll leave it for someone who needs it.

David2011
08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
A couple of years back at an IPSC match we were all gathering the brass. Mine was marked with my usual magenta Sharpie stripe all the way around the cartridge just above the extractor groove. We poured all of the brass onto tables and sorted it our in the shade after each match. I was busy with something else and delayed a few minutes getting to the brass table. Some son-of-a-gun took every last piece of my roll sized, marked brass. I know a bunch of mine was taken to the table because I tossed it into the bucket myself along with all the rest that I picked up. No one else used my marking scheme so it couldn't have been an accident.

I shot with this guy at an IPSC match last weekend. I saw some of my brass, marked with my usual Sharpie stripe around the base of each cartridge, in his bag. We both shoot .40. He doesn't mark his brass so he know he was picking up someone else's brass. When I asked him if he had seen any with my mark on it he gave me a few from his bag. He "never found" another round of my brass the rest of the match. Yeah. This is the same guy who told me that for local matches he loads down from full major power and only loads full power when he expects to encounter a chronograph at a match. Guess I need to suggest a surprise chrono stage at the next match. His wife shoots 9mm. I'll offer next match to give him the unmarked 9mm I find if he'll give me my brass. I don't give a rat's behind if I embarrass or alienate him. He's already alienated me. He was a real brass hog, picking up all calibers and even wanted some of what I had the .223 that I picked up from a previous match. We were shooting pistols only so it was not from that day's match and fair game. OTOH, freshly fired, well marked brass is NOT fair game.

Arrrr!
David

beagle
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah, we got one too and he brings his kid and he bugs hell out of you for his brass. The darn father don't even reload too.

Now, I'm for free enterprise and pick up brass myself. It's sorted, I use it and give the remainder to my friends that reload a particular caliber.

But, it amazes me that the biggest scroungers don't even reload./beagle

Sonoma2k2
08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
it would be nice if we could get pictures of these du masses and post them. i wonder who would have the most teeth,longest rats nest of a beard,smell of stankonya. wow we really are surrounded by idoits. especially the guy grabbing the marked brass. i agree if it's on the ground and noone there it's fair game. if not ask politely and move on if they say "no" common sense and curitsy have been forgotten.

anachronism
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
When I took my concealed carry class, the instructors wife ran around behind the shooters, picking up their brass as quickly as it fell, and putting it in her pocket. She had a look of total rapture on her face as she was doing it. One problem: she was supposed to be acting as range safety officer. Some people are simply unworthy of even the slightest respect.

Recluse
08-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm teaching a young man and his sister how to reload. This evening, I was relating the story of those scumbuckets who run around the range stealing your brass.

The guy's sister coined the perfect word for them.

Br*******s.

Perfect.

:coffee:

chevyiron420
08-14-2009, 04:12 AM
i think it must be that guy's cousin that showed up at the range we used to use. there was brass all over the place when we started there, from the benches to the berm. when my son and i got there i would look for needed brass wile he set up. there was usually stuff we needed laying around and the boxes for the brass would be in the trash can. then the guy showed up. he would be crawling all over the range with his buckets and gardening tools. then he got a partner! then he started parking his truck on the range. when we showed up to shoot it was hard to get him out of the way. then when he did move he would go get his rifle and try to take up the second bench. there is only two benches and two of us, so one had to wait, and take turns. sharing normally isnt a problem but could have been done hours before instead of farming the range. then we had a problem with police. there day was thursday and if they showed up you were supposed to move and stay out of there way. i had no problem with that and have alot of respect for the police. then they started coming any day they wanted and declaring a new police day any day they showed up, any day of the week. now the range has close for moving. they were supposed to re open in july. its come and gone and they dont answere there phone messages or emails. i aint been shootin in along time!

44mag1
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
i think it must be that guy's cousin that showed up at the range we used to use. there was brass all over the place when we started there, from the benches to the berm. when my son and i got there i would look for needed brass wile he set up. there was usually stuff we needed laying around and the boxes for the brass would be in the trash can. then the guy showed up. he would be crawling all over the range with his buckets and gardening tools. then he got a partner! then he started parking his truck on the range. when we showed up to shoot it was hard to get him out of the way. then when he did move he would go get his rifle and try to take up the second bench. there is only two benches and two of us, so one had to wait, and take turns. sharing normally isnt a problem but could have been done hours before instead of farming the range. then we had a problem with police. there day was thursday and if they showed up you were supposed to move and stay out of there way. i had no problem with that and have alot of respect for the police. then they started coming any day they wanted and declaring a new police day any day they showed up, any day of the week. now the range has close for moving. they were supposed to re open in july. its come and gone and they dont answere there phone messages or emails. i aint been shootin in along time!

You need to tell these guys to take it up with Obama so he can create a Brass Czar to make sure only the poor and disadvantaged are scrounging brass. That would fix it. It is the new American way you know.

vincewarde
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
To simply ask someone if they reload? That's what I do. If they say they don't, I encourage them to keep their brass for the day when they decide to start. I have even offered to show them how it is done. If they still don't want to keep it, they usually ask me if I want it.

I get a lot of free brass that way. :)