PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at indoor ranges

Rockchucker
08-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Lately I've been shooting at the local indoor range with my cast boolits, and noticed all the smoke from the lube. Don't notice it much when outdoors shooting. I'm using carnauba red with unique powder. The exhaust fans seem it suck the smoke back towards me, and don't really like to breathe all that smoke. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe change the powder. A friend of mine uses 231 and I see lots of smoke coming from his as well.

mooman76
08-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Unique is a smoky powder and I don't think the lube is doing it. Try Universal Clays which is cleaner burning and very simlar to Unique in characteristics. You could also try Clays which also is cleaner burning but a little hotter.

felix
08-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Exhaust fans should be pulling the air towards the target area. If not, don't shoot there. ... felix

cajun shooter
08-09-2009, 09:59 AM
The post about CLays is` correct and dead on. I load it for a friend using white label BAC and Carnuba Red. The Red has no visable smoke and have had many shooters asking what is my load. The old 50/50 alox lube will give you plenty of smoke. If loading 38 spl try the 3.4 gr load behind the 150 gr range of bullets.

Shiloh
08-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Exhaust fans should be pulling the air towards the target area. If not, don't shoot there. ... felix

Ditto this.

Something is quite wrong if it is being pulled back toward you.
Our small indoor range has a system with outside air coming in behind the shooter, and exhausting to the left of the backstop.

No smoke comes back towards, the shooter.

Shiloh

HeavyMetal
08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Unique is a smoker, no doubt, but not nearly as bad as Bullseye! I think the only thing that smokes worse than Bullseye is BP!

When I was forced to shoot on an indoor range I made the move to Win. 452AA, since replaced with SuperTarget, minimal amounts of smoke from this but the only round I shoot it in is 45 auto.

Plus 1 to what Felix says about fans on an indoor range!

Rockchucker
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
My last trip to the range I carried the 45,44mag,and 38/357 with me and used the same lube and powder, all 3 smoked like there was no tomorrow. I like unique cause its such a universal powder, but may switch over to the clay's and see if it makes a difference. I wish we had more than one indoor range but we don't. Thanks for the replies.

runfiverun
08-09-2009, 12:09 PM
you could try titegroup also it is a bit slower than clays is ang you have a bit more lattitude in your velocity range.

Wayne Smith
08-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Ditto to Felix, and the reason isn't the smoke. It's the lead sulphanate in the primer mix that you are breathing. Don't shoot there, if you have shot there much get your lead levels checked.

lurch
08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Unique is a smoker, no doubt, but not nearly as bad as Bullseye! I think the only thing that smokes worse than Bullseye is BP!

When I was forced to shoot on an indoor range I made the move to Win. 452AA, since replaced with SuperTarget, minimal amounts of smoke from this but the only round I shoot it in is 45 auto.

Plus 1 to what Felix says about fans on an indoor range!

Try some old Green Dot... Have to wait for the smoke to clear before you can see to fire the next shot. It's at least as bad as the old Bullseye I have. Can't complain about the results though I will be finding something else once that last 8lb "cardboard" can is gone. Gonna be a while though at 5 to 7 grains at a pop.

Echo
08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
+1 for the warnings about smoke coming back at you. The range has a problem. I would NOT shoot there until they cured the problem. shooters there are getting dosed w/Pb.

wallenba
08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Unique is a smoky powder and I don't think the lube is doing it. Try Universal Clays which is cleaner burning and very simlar to Unique in characteristics. You could also try Clays which also is cleaner burning but a little hotter.

I'm with mooman76 on this. I was coming home with black soot up my nose from Alox and Unique. Started using Orange magic and Clays, almost none. Win 231 burns real clean too.

Windy City Kid
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Try WST powder, it is the lowest smoke powder I have ever seen. Carnauba Red lube & WST powder is fantastic combo in .38 & .45 target loads. I shoot a lot of PPC in indoor ranges, this is the lowest smoke combination I have found.

runfiverun
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
federal primers use lead styphnate in them .winchester uses aluminum styphnate.
they work totally different.
win's are usually a better choice for like 4895 and fed's seem to do better with like 2400 in lighter cast loads [in rifles anyways]

hugh
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I did not no that about the styphnate .I have read that federal primers ignite easier
and Winchester primers burn hotter in standard size primers.