PDA

View Full Version : Some days you get lucky

pinshooter
08-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Even though I’ve been around since the old shooters.com days, I’ve only posted a few times & mainly lurk & pick up knowledge. But I just had to share what happened today with people who could appreciate it.

I needed some plumbing work done (replacing a water heater & bladder tank and re-doing the plumbing to the tank) and my stepson hooked me up with one of his friend's dad who has 40+ years of experience and had just taken a pay cut at work & needed side jobs. He came over Thursday night and when we went in the basement he saw my bench and asked if I reload. We got talking about shooting (he shoots a revolver & a muzzleloader) and I tried to get him interested in trying the PPC league that our club runs in the winter.

When I told him I cast my own boolits he asked where I get my lead & said he had a lot of lead left over from the old days and did I want it.:-) I told him it was probably too soft for my uses but offered to get him started casting round balls & boolits for the muzzleloader. He asked what material I cast with & I told him WW+2% tin from garage sale pewter or solder.

When he arrived this morning he handed me a 5 lb. roll of 50-50 and said if it was something I could use he had 9 more rolls that I could have for free as he didn’t use it any more. :-) :)

Later on we were talking and he mentioned that his father in law owned a gas station many years ago and had 4 or 5 buckets of wheel weights that he would be glad to get rid of.:-):):)

So, at the end of the day, I may have some free WW & tin, a new friend to shoot with, and possibly a new boolit caster. (And his price for the job was great too.)

Life is good. :drinks:

Pinshooter

Johnch
08-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Yea
Some days , life is good

Great haul

John

Bret4207
08-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Never turn down lead alloy of any type. It's trade goods if nothing else. Good for you!

cajun shooter
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
You are correct in that you don't post much. That was nice of you to not take the pure lead from someone who shoots muzzleloader but instead offered to show him how to use his lead to his benifit. That's a honest man move in my book!!

montana_charlie
08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
You are correct in that you don't post much. That was nice of you to not take the pure lead from someone who shoots muzzleloader but instead offered to show him how to use his lead to his benifit. That's a honest man move in my book!!
An honest man is quick to recognize honesty in another.
A dishonest man may not even have noticed...or might have looked upon the action with suspicion that it was a form of dishonesty he is not yet familiar with.
CM

Crash_Corrigan
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
It just goes to show you "If you treat others as you would like to be treated then you are walking on the right path"

16 years ago my car mechanic was running a radiator/muffler/performance/AC shop. He was complaing about a lack of space in his shop. There were at least twenty 5 gal white/gry/red/orange plastic buckets full of some nasty looking gray dirt all around. I asked him about them. He said that they were full of solder drippings and short pieces of solder which he had to pay to have hauled off.

I quickly volunteered to remove all those nasty buckets and not charge him a nickle. I told him that I could melt down this dross into great boolits and this would save me a lot of money and solve his problem at the same time. He even tried to give me an old 1903 Savage Semi Auto Pistol in .32 ACP as he had not any use for it. I told him to keep it as the value of that old gun would climb better than the stock market. It was in mint condition. Bluing was turning plum colored and not a ding or scratch on it. How about an extra shotgun barrel? Says he. He draggs out a Mossberg rifled muzzle loading barrel that fit on my Mossberg 500 along with a few pound of holy black and an ammo can full of possibles. He would not take any money for it. Years later I broke off a ram rod in the barrel and I sent it back to Mossberg. They sent me a new one, a more expensive model and did not take any money either.

Could I make some for him? Sure. I ended up making him a few boxes of .32 ACP's a year and he got to shoot that fine old gun.

I eventually talked him into getting a .38 Smth for home defense and he got to shoot a burglar one night. So I ended up with a 10 year gig that netted me roughly 500 gallons of 50/50 solder drippings which I used to harden up my cast boolits. On a positive note we have another NRA member and a shooter who already has taken a BAD GUY out of the picture.

Sadly that source is closed forever as most radiators are using plastic instead of metal today.