PDA

View Full Version : "Found" seventy-six pounds ...

Jack Stanley
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
While I was having a stay home "vacation" , I decided to clean up the garage , a job I've put off for several years . About half way through the project I found a bucket that had a bunch of lead scrap I'd set back and forgotton . Well . if one project is good ..... two is better right ? :razz:So , I went to the dungeon and got a lead pot , spoon and ingot mold . I set up the casting table out of the way of the cleaning and filled the pot with foil plugged it in and went back to cleaning . From time to time I'd stop back and feed it lead or pour off a couple ingots .

Well , today I finished up the garage and the lead scrap . Counted out seventy-six ingots and found a bonus of some stubs of 50/50 bars in the bottom of the bucket . Glad the place is a little more tidy and I've got the lead cleaned up and ready to use for the hungry rifles that roam around here .

I really got clean the basement one of these days .

Jack

jforwel
08-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Man that's always a nice surpise. Good for you.

snaggdit
08-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, I just cleaned my whole garage and made a casting/reloading bench out there. My wife was ok with me reloading in my office but as I kept acquiring more stuff... Anyway, she "suggested" I move it all to the garage. Unfortunately, I did not find any misplaced stuff. Good going!

shotman
08-09-2009, 03:15 AM
office? 20 yrs ago I had a reloading bench that was 3' x 6' had 2 presses. and 4 drawers. Now its a buidling 11' by 22' and many cabnets and a bench 3' x 15' and 15 or 16 presses. And I dont have time to shoot
Its has kitchen, bath ,bed and heat/ ac full carpet and most of all a refridge

snaggdit
08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah, well the garage is insulated, sheetrocked and heated. The small fridge is just above and to the left of the bench. Gotta have someplace to keep my homebrews cool!
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2637/reloadingbench.jpg

klutz347
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I was cleaning the basement last winter and while getting all the crap out from under the stairs, I found 4 coffee cans of .223 brass, a can of .38 spl brass, 2 cans of .45 ACP and 2 boxes of 158 gr. SWC .38's.

It was like an early Christmas peasant.

Jack Stanley
08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
That's a very nice setup Snaggdit ! At my last house I had framed off a corner of the garage for casting only . Had it sheetrocked and heated too along with a nice exhaust fan and hood .
Now , strangely enough , I use the garage for the truck and other tools I don't want left outside . I do have a room in the basement that has been deemed the "dungeon" where I do my casting , loading and general gun foolin' sorta stuff . It is heated and cooled and has comfortable chairs for limited lounging .

I do like seeing how you guys have setup your gear .... thanks for sharing . :-D

Jack

Shiloh
08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Well, I just cleaned my whole garage and made a casting/reloading bench out there. My wife was ok with me reloading in my office but as I kept acquiring more stuff... Anyway, she "suggested" I move it all to the garage. Unfortunately, I did not find any misplaced stuff. Good going!

I cast in the garage. No worries about spilled lead or droplets. There is adequate ventilation out there.

Shiloh

WHITETAIL
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Klutz, Welcome to the forum!:castmine:

Gunslinger
08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
office? 20 yrs ago I had a reloading bench that was 3' x 6' had 2 presses. and 4 drawers. Now its a buidling 11' by 22' and many cabnets and a bench 3' x 15' and 15 or 16 presses. And I dont have time to shoot
Its has kitchen, bath ,bed and heat/ ac full carpet and most of all a refridge

Forgive me for asking but what on earth does one need 15 presses for :roll:??

Jack Stanley
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
While I don't have fifteen presses I have more than three and each one has it's own uses . It is impossible for any other press I have to take the place of the Dillon 550 . Likewise the Bonaza CO-AX cannot be replaced by any other for it's ability to deprime without dumping spent primers all over and load development for a few rounds at a time . An old Pacific 007 is used for the LEE push through bullet size dies and a Lee hand press is set up for a factory crimp die .

Jack