PDA

View Full Version : Back cut front sight

HPT
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a Oliver P Winchester 38-55 and find that the radius at the top rear of the front sight creates a shiny spot that looks white so I am not sure where the top of the sight ends when aiming under a black circle on a white background.

Has anyone tried to file or grind an undercut so that the back of the sight was "sharp" and creating an overhang so that the back surface of the sight is "shaded"? I was thinking this should make the top of the sight more distinct

John F.
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I have seen this modification made in miniature to an original (very small) WW1 1911 front sight, and it did make a significant improvement in sight picture. On this sight, it wasn't necessary to make a dramatic undercut -- just a small, vertical section at the top of the rounded front sight, cut into the shooter's eye view edge of the curve. It was almost unnoticeable unless you looked carefully.

You may want more of a defined post or overhang than that, but I mention it to let you know that a dramatic modification MAY not be needed, so you can start small and work your way toward what you see as ideal. For durability/overall convenience sake, you might start with a vertical post, see how you like it, and if it isn't what you need, THEN undercut it. Undercut sights are nice, but a bit more fragile at the top/rear point and tend to snag in gun cases, etc.

BTW, I have also seen this done on a rifle and it also worked well there.

Hope this helps,
John

HPT
08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply John. I'll give it a try prior to my next shooting session.

jhrosier
08-08-2009, 05:12 PM
John,
That is a good tip.
Now if I could just figure out how to permanently blacken the stainless sight blade on my Vaquero, I would be a happy camper.

Jack

rhbrink
08-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I have done some of the same things that John F. is talking about and also if you have a very small three corner file make horizonal cuts across the new flat on the sight, make them very light and very close together, helps to break up the reflected light. Just a little will greatly improve the sight picture. Good Luck!

John F.
08-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Glad I could help! One other thing that may be useful. Back in the days when iron sights were the norm and people really studied how to make them work the best,
it was popular among knowledgeable shooters to flatten the face of any rounded-bead (metal) front sights that they had. The curve on the rounded bead catches light angling from either side and shifts your point of aim/impact.

I have made this modification on the range to a couple of leverguns that came factory equipped with rounded bead front sights, and the effect was instantaneous and very obvious. The first time, I recalled reading of it when I could see a definite bright spot on the left side of my front sight bead (sun coming in from about 7-8 o'clock position.) I had a file, so made a couple of quick, careful swipes on the bead, and it instantly changed to where I could see the whole bead clearly and with even illumination.

If you do this, be careful when cutting, as the beads are very soft!

Hope this helps,
John

Bret4207
08-09-2009, 09:27 AM
You can also use any of the commercial site blackening compounds or just soot the sties up good with a lighter or candle. Maybe this would be a good place to use that can of mould release that stinks as mould release.

muleequestrian
08-09-2009, 12:15 PM
You can also use any of the commercial site blackening compounds or just soot the sties up good with a lighter or candle. Maybe this would be a good place to use that can of mould release that stinks as mould release.

I carry a black paint " pen " bought at AC Moore in my shooting box for this very reason. A little smear of flat black lasts a while and I can retouch it any time I need to.