PDA

View Full Version : slugs for ML shotgun

wap41
08-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I would like to try shooting slugs out of my 16ga ML shotgun.I have a lee 7/8 oz slug mould for 12ga,which seems to be the right diameter for my 16ga without the shot cup.wondering what wad to use and if matching powder by volume to slug would still apply?

Nobade
08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
You can try, but likely you'll find much more happiness with a patched round ball. That slug will likely lead your bore, and not shoot accurately.

As for powder, I'd start at about 70 gr. FFg and go from there depending on how strongly constructed your shotgun is.

longbow
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I used to use a 0.690" round ball in my Pedersoli side by 12 but it had modified and full chokes so I couldn't load anything larger. Accuracy was poor at 50 yards.

If you have cylinder bore or at least large enough choke to allow loading of the slug I suggedt using a couple of nitro card over powder wads then a felt or fiber wad soaked in lube then another nitro card wad or some hard wad right under the slug so your lubed wad doesn't push into the base of the slug.

I would be loading powder charge to equal weight of shot.

If it is cylinder bore, I agree with Nobade on the patched round ball. If it is choked the slug may work or you could try doughnut wads with a round ball that will fit through the choke.

Longbow

Baron von Trollwhack
08-08-2009, 08:48 AM
BINGO on post # 2.

BvT